No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a Volvo K14 turbo and all fitings up in the loft for sometime - tentatively offered it to a few 2.4D owners as an upgrade but as no serious interest I decided I might as well give it a second look.

KKK K14 from a Volvo V70

In order to get the pipe exits the right way round I'm going to flip the turbo on the manifold, this means the oil unions will be the wrong way round, so the core of the turbo will need to be 'clocked' - rotated back round the right way.

It came apart fairly easy....

Problem now is the wastegate is at the bottom of the turbo - not a problem in itself but the oil return line needs to be there as well.
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 28 October 2017, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• Reg, while the turbos off I'd suggest stripping the actuator and clean up the port and valve. It's not the shaft that will fail but the actuator!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Reg, while the turbos off I'd suggest stripping the actuator and clean up the port and valve. It's not the shaft that will fail but the actuator!

Cheers. This did cross my mind and I put a Allen key in the actuator screws. They did seem like they would budge so I thought best leave it well alone

Comment

• Reg. Have you got a gasket for the DP? Offer the gasket up , then get the die-grinder out while it's in pieces. You'll see what I mean!! How's the journal bearings, compressor housing and blade look super clean? Much play?

Comment

Reg. Have you got a gasket for the DP? Offer the gasket up , then get the die-grinder out while it's in pieces. You'll see what I mean!! How's the journal bearings, compressor housing and blade look super clean? Much play?

You can see from the witness marks on the housing that a bit of port matching would help - same is true at the other end of the manifold.

There's next to no play in the bearings, and the blades look unmarked BUT, the whole lot doesn't spin as freely as I'd expect, spinning it by hand and it may spin two times round. I'm hoping it's just a bit stiff from being sat for ages.

Comment

• Here's one I've been playing with....

Not quite finished,...

Comment

• Call me lazy, but wouldn’t it be less of a headache and more reliable / bigger performance gain to fit one of Ron Rakes hybrid turbos?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Yep I understand. I cannot comment on Ron Rakes hybrid turbo, don't know the spec or gains or its reliability. But, I bet it's not cheap... then there's the addition of the larger injector nozzles , down pipe etc..no doubt? How much change from £2K...

BUT, turbos - ALL - just generate hot compressed air. The skill - in my experience - is mapping it with the fuel.

What I do know is that the Volvo units are cheap, very strong and very very reliable. For £35 of parts I can refurb it myself in under a day and be back on the road shortly thereafter...

These K16's can draw 450-1275mg/s of air (with a cone filter) and produce a 2.2-2.4bar reliably which is enough to run more than enough fuel (cleanly) to produce 180bhp and the threshold for a reliable AJT 2.5 without upping the clutch and head bolts etc..

I'm still a T4 newbie bud, even after 10 years but there's so much BS and misinformation out there (of which I've experienced and blindly paid alot out on) that 2 years ago I decided to work it out for myself.... keeps me at peace with the world dude 🤘

Comment

I'm still a T4 newbie bud, even after 10 years but there's so much BS and misinformation out there (of which I've experienced and blindly paid alot out on) that 2 years ago I decided to work it out for myself.... keeps me at peace with the world dude ��]
                    I've been around the VW scene for a little while now and I'd say that I've not seen this sheep phenomena as bad as it is with T4's

There's only ever one possible exhaust to buy, one set of injectors to use, one possible intercooler, only certain wiring and electricians you can talk to etc etc. There's a lot of creativity in all other forums I've been in, T4 owners mostly seem to lack this and follow trends (albeit years behind)

Activ8 - seems like we share a similar mentality, the can-do approach.

I'll be buying a tig in a few weeks - even got clearance from the boss to spend the money. one of the first things planned is a decent fanimold and I was thinking something like a beemer 330 turbo?

Comment

• Yeah i reckon your right! It won’t be cheap!!
                      I don’t know a lot about turbos, just basics, didn’t know you could clock them before reading reg’s post!
                      I would love to have the time and somewhere to tinker with some engine bits! Im sure i could come up with something, and my dad can weld, he is going to teach me.
                      The whole ‘its brand new, just bolts straight on’ is appealing! But i do love to make stuff myself, its a great feeling being able to stand back and say “i made that”!
                      Just out of curiosity [emoji79]
                      How much do the k16’s go for ? And how much work is involved to install ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Cut and paste your last para and start a new thread bud as we're hijacking this one....

Comment

• 'jack away - I don't care. Quite happy with free-form threads.

Unless of course you want a new thread.

Comment

• There's knowledge here that needs to be spread, .... and support for those wanting to just try it / have a go but understand it along the way...

Comment

• Had some time to kill waiting for some old hippy chippy to turn up, so made up another brake adaptor plate.

Mounting bolts might be a tad long though.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                Had some time to kill waiting for some old hippy chippy to turn up, so made up another brake adaptor plate.

Mounting bolts might be a tad long though.
                                That bolt looks about bang on [emoji23] just spray it orange.

Tom.

Comment

Working...
                                X