• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks so good.like the colour

Comment

Originally posted by daleydub View Post
      This looks so good.like the colour
      Cheers bud - I love the colour, had my doubts when it was in the tin but I think it really suits the van plus it never needs to be washed.

Budget big brembo upgrade time...

Old disc versus new

Caliper bolted up...

Nearly.

First bolt went in and second was about 8mm out - which is a pain as it really needs to bolt straight up or be a mile out so making adaptors is easy.

Anyway I've measured up for an adaptor, it's doable and wont present a massive amount of machining.

I think I can also use the hose mount from the original caliper to keep standard hoses

Comment

Time to design some brake adaptor plates - I fired up the retro CAD and so far have two different versions

Not quite right, but it's nearly there, needs a few changes and then I'll put it on the 3D printer and make a test piece.

Comment

I've put it onto CAD for real

Took the drawing to local friendly machine house to get some quotes and advice.

The option seems to be to go for a en30b or EN24 steel, stainless would double the cost.

Machine from stock may prove more expensive than laser/water cutting, the plan is to rough out with laser cutting then finish on the mill.

The first off will probably cost 50 - 70 for the pair, but a 10 off job could see the price drop to £35 for a pair.

They'll need finishing, for that I have a DIY plating tank.

I also priced up the hose brackets - a certain VW parts site has them for £7 each, so I thought I'd try main dealer and as is often the case VW were much cheaper £1.79 each.

So, given the prices I've paid so far

313mm vented genuine brembo discs
          4 pot brembo calipers
          adaptor plates

£210 all in - still need to get pads...

Comment

Big thanks to photobucket for ballsing up this (and millions of other) threads

Righto...

When I sprayed the van, the gun spat a few blobs onto the bonnet, so I went back over the bonnet with extra paint but never got round to wet sanding it with the rest of the van, started today

First up a general rub down with some soap, water and some 1000 grit paper, let it dry and see what needs more work - all the blobs and runs have been mostly blended in, just need some careful work round the edges as it's easy to burn through the top coat

The whole panel needs to be the flat dull surface all the way across - the wing has been done, I'll not touch them and really should have masked the edge to protect it

This is the other edge of the bonnet - you can see the orange peel in the centre of the picture - you can just see the dull flatted area to the right and the already wet/colour sanded and polished wing section to the left

Went to tesco's earlier, when I got out of the van, this was lying on the kerb in the next space

Think I can make it work, need another though as it's too narrow - how long will I have to scout Tesco car park until I get another??

Anyone know of a good source for the black self tappers to hold the bonnet grille section in place - ones that don't go rusty and horrible inside a few months would be ideal - would go stainless but they are too shiny
            Last edited by regcheeseman; 22 July 2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Turns out the front splitter is a fairly rare unit from a 4 motion golf - it wont be cheap to get a second one to cut up to make a wider version.

I want some standard spots and insert panels for my T4 bumper - best place/price to get them?

Comment

I got a vr6 splitter here you can have for fake lows, hardly original though
                Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

I'll take a look it may be some use to make this one wider, no good on its own though, done to death.
                  Last edited by regcheeseman; 24 July 2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Carried on with the bonnet today, gone all over with 1000 grit and the surface is generally a uniform flat finish

But looking closer and there's still a few low spots that have gloss

Once gone over again, I go over it again with 1500 grit and then 2000 grit - washing down carefully with a fresh bucket of soap and water each time and then and drying off.

Once a uniform surface was obtained I used a variable speed polisher with a foam head and some G3 to polish back up before hand polishing with SRP and then some meguiers show glaze,

Not bad, but good enough for an old van.

Comment

Thanks to taking a van for a test drive and loving the MOMO steering wheel I had to get my own.

Found a boss on ebay and couldn't find a decent wheel, waited for VW action autojumble and found nothing so back to ebay and bought a tidy Momo Corse

Problem was it wouldn't cancel the indicators because the pin fittted didn't hit the little plastic lever - it needed moving out a bit. Simple job - just redrill the hole....

Can you spot the obvious mistake?

I didn't.

Fitted the wheel back on and the horn sounded continuously.

The pin was making a perfect short from the copper horn ring to the body of the steering wheel and thus earth.

I opened up the hole in the copper ring so it no longer touched the pin and everything worked perfectly.

Much nicer to drive now

Comment

Nice work 👍 new wheel looks really good

Sent from my LG-H870 using Just T4s

Comment

Nice wheel..
                          Come rain or shine im out in mine!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Just T4s

Comment

The EGR, and it's days are numbered, judging by the oil starting to leak out, probably about time

Allard EGR delete fitted - don't know why they fit the boost pressure take-off port on the wrong side of the pipe though???

Removed all this clutter

Whilst I have some time to spend on my van for a change I carried on with the Brembo four pots

Started by stripping them down, used a compressed air line to blow the pistons out - I put a strip of wood between the pistons to stop them firing completely out of the bores, then apply pressure to the brake line fitting. These came out really easy

Cleaned them up with a knotted wire disc, and abrasive wheel, a wire wheel in a bench grinder and a small wire brush

Then a primer coat of Bilt Hamber Electrox

Comment

Doing some good work there 👍

Sent from my LG-H870 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Like this a lot. My steering wheel is starting to dissolve and gets tacky when hot. Loving the look of this!

Tom.

Comment

Working...
                                X