No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may sound dull, is the pipe stainless, can you weld a ridge round it to give that slight flare like on a radiator outlet pipe. I take it they are plain at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
      This may sound dull, is the pipe stainless, can you weld a ridge round it to give that slight flare like on a radiator outlet pipe. I take it they are plain at the moment.
      Did that to something I had once! Worked a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Or if it's alu you could make a flaring tool from an old set of molegrips
        Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
          This may sound dull, is the pipe stainless, can you weld a ridge round it to give that slight flare like on a radiator outlet pipe. I take it they are plain at the moment.
          Ally. But yes could still do that

Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
          Or if it's alu you could make a flaring tool from an old set of molegrips
          Did see a tool made from an exhaust clamp - that was clever.

The problem is it's on a bend - I think the next size down clamp might do the job as the glove mod seem to be working.

Long term I want to make proper pipes, lose as many couplings as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
            Or if it's alu you could make a flaring tool from an old set of molegrips
            I did something similar using a crimping tool, ideal for the odd pipe and cheap.
            Found this on You Tube that demonstrates the idea and results.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVDUM2ZxoW0

Alternately this is a good piece of kit that a Lotus engineer recommended to me at £155.
            Call Useful Tools = 07774 642407
            email = david@useful-tools.co.uk
            Web = www.useful-tools.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Nice engine. The pieces are coming together?
              Yep - slowly.

I wasn't planning on getting a 2.5 although I did look for volvo ones.

Had decided to do the gearbox mock up on the broken 1.9 in my half a van, but then it transpires the 1.9 aint broken and therefore saleable AND the low mileage 2.5 came up cheap (minus manifolds and turbo -neither of which I wanted anyway)

The bloke had rodded the engine for a 2.4 turbo conversion - not sure what he'll say when he realises he needs a dipstick tube and the turbo oil return pipe, maybe he had those already???

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                Yep - slowly.

I wasn't planning on getting a 2.5 although I did look for volvo ones.

Had decided to do the gearbox mock up on the broken 1.9 in my half a van, but then it transpires the 1.9 aint broken and therefore saleable AND the low mileage 2.5 came up cheap (minus manifolds and turbo -neither of which I wanted anyway)

The bloke had rodded the engine for a 2.4 turbo conversion - not sure what he'll say when he realises he needs a dipstick tube and the turbo oil return pipe, maybe he had those already???
                Has the 1.9 now sold?

Result with the 2.5 as that'll kill two birds for you once the gearbox kit becomes a reality.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Has the 1.9 now sold?

Result with the 2.5 as that'll kill two birds for you once the gearbox kit becomes a reality.
                  Nope - not sold. still need to give it a decent run, as there was no water recirculating back through the top hose in the exp tank* - I'm wondering if the water pump is working properly, but rad and hoses all seemed to be getting equally warm.

*not sure if this pipe even is a 'tell-tale' like it is on earlier vws???

With the 2.5 and my half a van I can also mock up manifolds. - are the runners on the 2.4 manifold of any use or do they intrude far too much into the space required for the turbo (assuming turbo is in conventional position)

Comment

• What caused the old rad to explode?

I'm not one for lobbing anything and never tried a 2.4 manifold. Quite like the idea of fitting water cooling in the 2.5 inlet but maybe there's no need? I'm hitting almost 1500mg/s of inet air presently (already an adjusted max) which gives me 100mg/s of fuel at 15:1 & reckon that's good for 300bhp. It's the inlet temps that I need to focus on and a 3"DP. Looking at boxing off / shielding the air filter with cold air feed or feeds.

You still good to refurb & rebuild my 12mm pump / Volvo cam gratis? Want to look at the Volvo unit too?

Comment

What caused the old rad to explode?

I'm not one for lobbing anything and never tried a 2.4 manifold. Quite like the idea of fitting water cooling in the 2.5 inlet but maybe there's no need? I'm hitting almost 1500mg/s of inet air presently (already an adjusted max) which gives me 100mg/s of fuel at 15:1 & reckon that's good for 300bhp. It's the inlet temps that I need to focus on and a 3"DP. Looking at boxing off / shielding the air filter with cold air feed or feeds.

You still good to refurb & rebuild my 12mm pump / Volvo cam gratis? Want to look at the Volvo unit too?
                      No idea what happened to the rad - the thermostat was stuck shut, one pipe split and the top hose barely attached.

How are you shifting that much air, what boost? is this on the K24?

Cold air feed is on my to do list.

Yep send the pump and cover the postage - no problem rebuilding whatever.

Comment

• K24 hybrid is currently running 2.72bar max (25psi), with an upgraded actuator so its adjustable to 30psi, remapped the duty cycle and then a ton of road tests remapping the N75 map.

Comment

• Error....posting in the wrong thread![emoji87] [emoji85] [emoji86]
                          Last edited by Activ8; 12 July 2018, 12:12 AM.

Comment

K24 hybrid is currently running 2.72bar max (25psi), with an upgraded actuator so its adjustable to 30psi, remapped the duty cycle and then a ton of road tests remapping the N75 map.

It's handy having the A38 for road tests[emoji6]

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                              It's handy having the A38 for road tests[emoji6]

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk
                              No, no , no - I use a private dual carriageway for all road testing....

Comment

• My Westfalia towbar turned up today and at nearly three time the price of the previous one I was expecting something pretty special....

I wasn't expecting a parcel with no box, just a towbar wrapped in bubble wrap and tape - with the contents ripping through the packing in several places.

However, unwrapping did reveal something very special - a beautifully made piece of kit that replaces the standard bumper iron and fits very discreetly.

The towball is the quick release type and even comes with a pair of decent gloves so your hands stay clean when removing the towball and a nice pleather bag to store it in when noy fitted.

All the brackets line up with the bumper plastics perfectly and it';; even fit my splitter with minimal mods.

Pics to follow.

There was nowt on telly tonight except a football or something coming home so I painted all the metalwork with a few coats of extra underseal protection.

Comment

Working...
                                X