Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    OK, so here goes...

The screen shots and information are available using VagCom / VCDS software and an appropriate cable.
    Reg has used the logging function in the software to record a couple of WOT runs, (Wide Open Throttle) runs in 3rd or 4th gear from approx. 1500rpm to redline.

LogRun1 Download
    OK just to make this clear Reg had sent me two spreadsheets...

Group A'003 is the MAF sensor
    I've switched the MAF off in the map so the ECU sees all the air it needs without throwing the van into limp mode.
    Is that why the calculated is at 850 all the way through?

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Group B'008 is the Fuel
    At 2183 rpm the drivers wish is requesting more fuel 38.6mg/s but being limited by the smoke limiter at 35.4 mg/s
    The smoke limiter continues to restrict the fuel all the way to 4182 rpm.
    The van starts semi-limp mode between 1918 & 2183 rpm.
    The max IQ is 51 mg/s
    Why is the smoke limiter restricting fuel? It's the function of a map but why is the level so low? What is pushing it down, a function of air versus fuel?

GroupC'011 is the Boost
    The boost is very strong and good but as the van is in limp mode at 2k'ish the the N75 is releasing all the pressure to restrict the power.

1489 1468.8 1132.2 12.8 = closed
    1734 1570.8 1264.8 12.8 = closed
    1999 1662.6 1458.6 12.8 = closed
    2285 1632=1652.4 14.3 = open
    2550 1591.2=1693.2 28.3 = open
    2815 1570.8=1642.2 37.1 = open
    3080 1560.6=1591.2 44.2 = open
    3305 1550.4=1591.2 49 = open
    3529 1540.2=1570.8 53.4 = open
    3713 1530=1560.6 57.4 = open
    3876 1519.8=1550.4 60.6 = open
    4019 1509.6=1530 62.6 = open
    4121 1509.6=1509.6 63.8 = open
    4202 1509.6=1509.6 63.4 = open
    I'm guessing I've had the same for ever - the old turbo was being knocked back as well.

What does 1509.6 actually equate to? Forget that - answered whilst I was typing.

I'd check the diesel timing belt & tensioners Reg but its too far retarded.
    Do another screenshot with the cloud button checked.
    The MAF is switched on in the latest map.
    Will do. Need to resolve the crappy starting and that will do it. Can't believe I haven't checked + sorted it, all the signs were there and I probably advise about 3 people every week about retarded timing.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Is that why the calculated is at 850 all the way through?
      Discovered this when I switched to MAP based smoke limiting.
      Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Why is the smoke limiter restricting fuel?
      Limp mode, if it wasn't mapped it would be a lot less driveable.
      It's the function of a map but why is the level so low?
      Percentage of maxIQ, if it wasn't mapped it would be a lot less driveable.
      60%ish of maxIQ.
      What is pushing it down, a function of air versus fuel?
      The fuel is restricted by the ECU , the air remains the same.
      Airflow looks great.
      Was there smoke other than the TDI Timing process?
      Its gonna fly Reg... might need a tweek or two on the N75 map but pressure wise its strong.
      I'm guessing I've had the same for ever - the old turbo was being knocked back as well.
      As long as the timings been that way.
      What does 1509.6 actually equate to? Forget that - answered whilst I was typing.
      Forgotten...
      Will do. Need to resolve the crappy starting and that will do it. Can't believe I haven't checked + sorted it, all the signs were there and I probably advise about 3 people every week about retarded timing.
      Load the new map, bring the MAF back on with your vehicle data.
      Get this sorted then we can move on to more fuel = bhp/trq with the 0.24 injectors
      Last edited by Activ8; 20 January 2018, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Limp mode, if it wasn't mapped it would be a lot less driveable.

Percentage of maxIQ, if it wasn't mapped it would be a lot less driveable.
        60%ish of maxIQ.
        OK, can I have the small words and big pictures version?

Why is it going into limp mode

What do you mean by "if it wasn't mapped it would be a lot less driveable."

Does that mean if it wasn't re-mapped or that if the MAF wasnt mapped out?

Comment

OK, can I have the small words and big pictures version?
          Why is it going into limp mode
          Timing, but as you know all you can do is move on to the next test ....

What do you mean by "if it wasn't mapped it would be a lot less driveable."
          Does that mean if it wasn't re-mapped or that if the MAF wasnt mapped out?
          Remapped, ...
          Standard IQ is 35mg/s , so 60% of 35mg/s = 21mg/s = f'in slow
          Last edited by Activ8; 20 January 2018, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Timing, but as you know all you can do is move on to the next test ....
            Brilliant, sausage stomping power is just a spanner twizzle away - time to bust out the DTI and do some proper engineering.

Comment

• As an added bonus, I bought some exhaust trim parts from chingbay a few weeks ago, looked ok in pictures but fully expected them to be gash when they finally turned up.

Well they arrived today and look great - time to get them fitted, lose the rear silencer and make some more noise.

Comment

Brilliant, sausage stomping power is just a spanner twizzle away - time to bust out the DTI and do some proper engineering.
                Update the ECU with the new map mate.
                Its never over until its running 100%, remember you were still showing EEPROM errors.
                Good news about Sausages, I'm grinning from ear2ear myself ...

Comment

• OK.

Few questions....

What physical element of the smoke limiter map is causing it to be limited?

What sort of peak level of IQ should I be seeing?

What sort of boost should I see? I'm guessing the calculated figures are based on fuel/air?

Comment

OK.

Few questions....

What physical element of the smoke limiter map is causing it to be limited?

What sort of peak level of IQ should I be seeing?

What sort of boost should I see? I'm guessing the calculated figures are based on fuel/air?
                    I reckon the ECU is seeing a timing calculated and timing actual and its to far apart to adjust so throwing an error at 2k'ish.
                    51mg/s
                    I cannot remember the exact numbers (they were stated earlier in the thread) 2350mbar max but we might need to tweek the n75.
                    The calculated figures are based upon rpm and fuel on one map and rpm and ATM on another, with a max "cut-off" at 2500mbar.

Comment

• So, errr. ....For us mere mortals what does this mean?

Is it fixed now????
                      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• The Summary Arfur is the timing is too retarded , but it's a major first step for sorting it all out....

Sent by Solar Ray to Just T4s

Comment

• So mojo rekindled by the log run and potential diagnosis, plus not wanting to be left behind by a sump scraping hippy in a poxy 1.9 I got on with sorting the timing.

Timing set with DTI to 0.55mm,

Also spotted a wet leakdown pipe so replaced all five.

Now the starting seems to be much improved, still stinks at cold idle like a T4.

Quick spin up the road and it's much better, engine is still pretty cold so no thrashing it too hard but it's not that great - but this could be something in the map holding back because of engine temp???

Decided as the missus was still out shopping I could pop in the new map.

I warmed the engine up properly and returned this timing graph

Click image for larger version

Name:	still jumpy timing.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	262680

Still jumping about, but at least it's jumping around the right area.

Time for another quick spin....

Just pulling up the drive and I could feel it was strong.

Turn onto the main road and

JESUS!

Torque steer!

A van shouldn't torque steer, it also shouldn't go like this.

You know when an engine is running right and it's running right - eager right to the red line.

Oh my god it's quick, I've driven a lot of modified ABLs but this is a different league - proper quick.

It's pulling to 80 at the rate it used to get to 60 but it's still charging hard, a car pulling out of a drive in front of me reminds me it's a forty limit, obviously he didn't expect a van to come up quite so quick!

Absolutely brilliant.

Few gripes - the glow plug light still flashes and the boost guage is not going beyond 10 - I think the guage is goosed because it hits 10psi fast and stops dead but feels like it's giving a lot more

Comment

• That reads better. VCDS Report & Logrun please... still on Stanadynes right?

Comment

That reads better. VCDS Report & Logrun please... still on Stanadynes right?

Codes still there as before

Still on the stinky stanas.

Log run once I've finished grinning and laughing like an idiot.

Comment

I warmed the engine up properly and returned this timing graph

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7475[/ATTACH]

Still jumping about, but at least it's jumping around the right area.
                                Did you remove and check the diesel pump belt tensioners?
                                Leave the Stanadynes in for a week or two then recheck the timing and injector tolerances.

Comment

Working...
                                X