X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Yep - 9 psi killing my fun early.

Getting to temp quicker - need a longer run to see how hot it gets

I'll run a code read - Blue Planet was calling me.

Thanks once again.
    Once its running at full boost we'll get your van tweeked and running a tighter tune,...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Once its running at full boost we'll get your van tweeked and running a tighter tune,...
      It seems like I have one of two issues (or both)

Wastegate actuator poorly adjusted - opening early

Wastegate leaking

If it is the first issue, what factors open the N75? If it is purely boost pressure then the N75 wont be opening, the wastegate actuator will not see any pressure and the wastegate remain shut - this would mean there is a wastegate leak.

If other factors drive the N75 opening regardless of actual boost pressure then it may just be a poorly adjusted actuator.

Moving the wastegate by hand seems a lot lighter in operation than a TD setup adjusted for 15psi - but this may be by design, a lighter operating pressure would give more sensitivity of control.

Comment

• Look at 08 Engine Channel 11 to see if the wastegates leaking but reads more like the actuator needs adjusting. I'll measure it tomorrow to get you in the ballpark.

Was the IC hooked up or standard AJT?

Make a note of your injector tolerances, Ch13&14, then watch them cleanup this week.

Comment

If it is the first issue, what factors open the N75? If it is purely boost pressure then the N75 wont be opening, the wastegate actuator will not see any pressure and the wastegate remain shut - this would mean there is a wastegate leak.

If other factors drive the N75 opening regardless of actual boost pressure then it may just be a poorly adjusted actuator.
          RPM and fuel IQ control the wastegate N75 map, no connection to boost pressure.

Any leaks after the MAF on the inlet side? Have you sealed the bad pipe connection to the turbo inlet?

Which exhaust manifold are you fitting with the Volvo K14 at Xmas?

Comment

• Hope this helps set the actuator and wastegate.

Comment

RPM and fuel IQ control the wastegate N75 map, no connection to boost pressure.

Any leaks after the MAF on the inlet side? Have you sealed the bad pipe connection to the turbo inlet?

Which exhaust manifold are you fitting with the Volvo K14 at Xmas?
              Interesting, then I suspect the actuator rather than wastegate - puts a new slant on sausage vans problems as well

No leaks - yes, properly sealed

I have the volvo manifold or the AJT one, which would you use?

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Look at 08 Engine Channel 11 to see if the wastegates leaking but reads more like the actuator needs adjusting. I'll measure it tomorrow to get you in the ballpark.

Make a note of your injector tolerances, Ch13&14, then watch them cleanup this week.
              No IC - standardish AJT setup

This morning was good. Van startup was the usual laboured, smoky smelly stanadyne affair.

Usual fairly sedate run into work, van really has more urgency now though - on my test hill it excelled.

It's a increasing gradient on a tight back road,

normally hit at low revs1400rpm in fourth, engine slowly dies and I have to drop into third and quickly get back into boost.

last week it was struggling a bit in third which it has never done before.

This morning it grunted up in fourth, no dieing and was straining at the leash.

Engine did warm up a bit quicker but then it was mild last night - temp then sat in the middle of gauge as usual.

Comment

I have the volvo manifold or the AJT one, which would you use?
                I've tried both. The AJT (ported to gasket with adaptor plate and ported VolvoK14) once off looks far far cleaner. The Volvo manifold at cylinder 5 seems to build with a little crud, same as LT and the AET manifolds. But this may be down to the relocated sensor injector (?).

The AJT has served me well because once ported to take T2 Volvo, it can be easily up sized to take T3 through the adaptor plate and it's easier to try alternative turbos being more centred.

I need a new T25 adaptor to raise the turbo up and forward as the larger compressor housings will fowl my Volvo inlet manifold. Fancy knocking one up for me?

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                This morning was good. Van startup was the usual laboured, smoky smelly stanadyne affair.
                Give it a week and the injectors will of cleaned up and the burn hugely better.

Usual fairly sedate run into work, van really has more urgency now though - on my test hill it excelled.

This morning it grunted up in fourth, no dieing and was straining at the leash.
                You've got another 8.4psi to come yet once you sort this boost loss / actuator problem out. 😉

Comment

Look at 08 Engine Channel 11 to see if the wastegates leaking but reads more like the actuator needs adjusting. I'll measure it tomorrow to get you in the ballpark.

Read the codes,

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

18020 - Engine Control Module Incorrectly Coded
                  P1612 - 35-00 - -
                  18048 - Internal Contr. Module (EEPROM) Error
                  P1640 - 35-00 - -
                  17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
                  P1570 - 35-00 - -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEARED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read again -

2 Faults Found:
                  18020 - Engine Control Module Incorrectly Coded
                  P1612 - 35-00 - -
                  18048 - Internal Contr. Module (EEPROM) Error
                  P1640 - 35-00 - -

And the channels read

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	262297

Noticed the timing duty cycle was quite high at idle - 75% ish

Comment

And the channels read

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6857[/ATTACH]
                    OK, so wastegate closed. Good.
                    Injectors well fooked and out of tolerance. Worst I've seen to date.
                    Lets see if these will clean-up over the course of the week.

Comment

• The VCDS errors are new to me, never seen these before!
                      Hmmm, OK..
                      Can you run Channels 1, 3 and 8 and screen print?
                      Can you check your timing? And screen print.
                      How was the drive and return home?
                      Any further in the missing boost?

I've just loaded your map on to my van, no errors.
                      Clean before writing and clean after writing.

Comment

• How do you load the map - what software?

I used Vag can commander 3.6 - two options 'eeprom write' and 'flash write', never got flash write to work.

I've got MPPS - if that'll write?

Comment

How do you load the map - what software?
                          I'm using an original KESS Masterversion

I think MPPS is better because it has a recovery mode?
                          I had a guy in Scotland write one of my T4 files using MPPS 6, without a problem.

I might buy a VAG Can Commender for IMMO locate and delete functions, for that its good but its got limitations.

Your van is driving fine, it'll be a checksum error whilst writing the new map.
                          Put the van on charge and your tiptop on mains and do a new rewrite using MPPS...

Wheres the balance of your boost.... I reckon you'll do the hill in 5th with full boost.

Comment

I had a guy in Scotland write one of my T4 files using MPPS 6, without a problem.

I might buy a VAG Can Commender for IMMO locate and delete functions, for that its good but its got limitations.

Put the van on charge and your tiptop on mains and do a new rewrite using MPPS...

Wheres the balance of your boost.... I reckon you'll do the hill in 5th with full boost.
                            Any updates Reg?

Comment

Hope this helps set the actuator and wastegate.

It might have done, but I've checked tonight and the length of thread is already more than shown in your picture

Assuming shortening the linkage holds the wastegate more closed I adjusted it further so there's about 35mm exposed thread now

Not had chance to test it yet

The VCDS errors are new to me, never seen these before!
                              Hmmm, OK..
                              Can you run Channels 1, 3 and 8 and screen print?
                              Can you check your timing? And screen print.
                              How was the drive and return home?
                              Any further in the missing boost?

I've just loaded your map on to my van, no errors.
                              Clean before writing and clean after writing.
                              I'll have to do this and report back, boost is still as it was, van is very eager and smooth but just runs out of urge in the higher revs and feels like it's labouring - just like it used to at all revs.

I can send you vag commander 3.6 or in fact any of the versions but only 3.6 works for me on k line and it does the immo delete very nicely.

I admire your confidence but I doubt I'll pull the hill in fifth as it's a slow tight road - I'd be hitting the bottom of the hill at about 900 rpm in fifth.

Comment

It might have done, but I've checked tonight and the length of thread is already more than shown in your picture
                                Assuming shortening the linkage holds the wastegate more closed I adjusted it further so there's about 35mm exposed thread now
                                Not had chance to test it yet
                                My pic shows the standard AJT K14 actuator, the thread length shown was with the turbo off the van, so I know its sealing the wastegate
                                Won't over tightening it restrict the N75 functionality? ie more pressure required to budge it, where as less allows the N75 to do its job at ALL the pressures mapped.

I'll have to do this and report back, boost is still as it was, van is very eager and smooth but just runs out of urge in the higher revs and feels like it's labouring - just like it used to at all revs.
                                Does the van drive above 3k rpm?
                                Can you check the MAF make sure the correct one is fitted, and the airflow direction is correct.

I can send you vag commander 3.6 or in fact any of the versions but only 3.6 works for me on k line and it does the immo delete very nicely.
                                That would be great, not sure what versions you get with the hardware but handy if we're using the same versions and I/F.

I admire your confidence but I doubt I'll pull the hill in fifth as it's a slow tight road - I'd be hitting the bottom of the hill at about 900 rpm in fifth.
                                Well why not, you're still running a standard 5th right? Try it when you have full boost eh....

Comment

Working...
                                X