No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of quiet reflection last night as I lay in bed waiting for my brain to switch off from the late shift at work, and I thought about Benf's knackered ignition switch and more importantly how I had advised him to be methodical about fault finding, use a logical process and do the simple things first without getting a hunch it might be something and wasting time pissing about for no return....

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Maybe the timing mark I've timed up too (using DTI) wasn't the timing mark, perhaps the pump is totally out of phase???
    So working in inadequate light, without my glasses, rushing ahead and assuming because I've done this loads of times before, I know what I'm doing etc etc etc sure some have been there before?

Basically, I'd spotted a mark on the back of the pump pulley and timed up to that mark, but on closer investigation, the mark wasn't the proper mark and I'm 72ish degrees off on the timing.

No time to rectify the fault today, but tomorrow.....tomorrow it will run again (albeit with a squeaky leaky injector)

Comment

• Yay! It runs.

Fired up straight away once the timing was set.

Injectors were fine, the squeak wasn't an injector but made itself known when the power steering pump pulley scampered away across the driveway, I never had nipped up those finger tight bolts after all.

Idle isn't very good, it hunts up and down like a top fuel dragster, I got vag com out and bought the live timing up from a fairly static/stable 45 to nearer 55 but then it started jumping all over the place, made no difference to the idle but the white smoke disappeared, and it starts even easier.

I started to play with adaptions but wasn't sure how far to go (swapped AJT to ACV injectors), the guides say move 6 at a time, well I stepped up and down 30 points in both directions from the standard 768 and couldn't notice much change, but again I was rushing and running out of time.

Other issues... one DRL doesn't work, dodgy wire found, clutch is low, needs bleeding some more.

Last bits of silicone for the intercooler turned up so I'll get those swapped in.

Still have to sort the catch tank out

Oh and it turns out I was timing up to the right mark but had done something much much much more stupid...

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Yay! It runs.
        Fired up straight away once the timing was set.
        Well done.

Idle isn't very good, it hunts up and down like a top fuel dragster, I got vag com out and bought the live timing up from a fairly static/stable 45 to nearer 55 but then it started jumping all over the place, made no difference to the idle but the white smoke disappeared, and it starts even easier.

I started to play with adaptions but wasn't sure how far to go (swapped AJT to ACV injectors), the guides say move 6 at a time, well I stepped up and down 30 points in both directions from the standard 768 and couldn't notice much change, but again I was rushing and running out of time.
        Is the fuel & coolant up to temp?
        Got a big hammer? ;-)

Oh and it turns out I was timing up to the right mark but had done something much much much more stupid...
        Left the shaft lock tightened?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Is the fuel & coolant up to temp?

Left the shaft lock tightened?
          Nope coolant not up to temp, it was getting there and enough to get idea of what was going on

Nope, not shaft lock, that might have run and wrecked the shaft and/or the belt. This was more fundamentally stupid and I'm blaming it from always working on 4 cylinder pumps...

Comment

Nope coolant not up to temp, it was getting there and enough to get idea of what was going on

Nope, not shaft lock, that might have run and wrecked the shaft and/or the belt. This was more fundamentally stupid and I'm blaming it from always working on 4 cylinder pumps...
            Turning the pump sprocket the wrong way thus coming up the wrong way on the lobe?

I’ve got it the other way round, 4 pot pumps confuse me when trying to offer timing advice and I have to think of it shitloads. The 5 pot though, piece of piss as this is where the majority of my admittedly limited experience is.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
              Turning the pump sprocket the wrong way thus coming up the wrong way on the lobe?
              Yep.

I was timing up to 55 on the DTI and not even checking the relationship between the pulley mark and the fixed mark on the bracket.

Yet today (third attempt) when I brought it up to 55, I checked the mark and it was miles short of it, can't be on the next lobe because surely that'll be miles past the fixed mark, but I went to the next lobe and now the pulley mark was well past where it needed to be. It was only at that point did I think....hang on....what way does this bloody pump spin again, even did that thing where you twirl pointed fingers in the air to work out what direction stuff is spinning.

doh.

Comment

• Thought it was just spaz's like me that did that twirl fingers thing. I remember doing that after one of my first posts on here after telling how i'd advanced the pump on are 1.9td back in '17.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Thought it was just spaz's like me that did that twirl fingers thing.
                  Nope - I'm pretty spazzie too

Comment

Yep.

I was timing up to 55 on the DTI and not even checking the relationship between the pulley mark and the fixed mark on the bracket.

Yet today (third attempt) when I brought it up to 55, I checked the mark and it was miles short of it, can't be on the next lobe because surely that'll be miles past the fixed mark, but I went to the next lobe and now the pulley mark was well past where it needed to be. It was only at that point did I think....hang on....what way does this bloody pump spin again, even did that thing where you twirl pointed fingers in the air to work out what direction stuff is spinning.

doh.
                    I’m sure you’re still reeling with annoyance at yourself for this but.......

.......PAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I fuck up stupidly like this often. It starts when I wheel my kit out.

#vanlife

Comment

• And finished.. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210218-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	911.9 KB
ID:	320395 might need tidying up or I just go full drift slag.

At least the battery install is clean Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_101422.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	610.8 KB
ID:	320396

Comment

• Might it tidy up with a little colour - black - on the IC perhaps?

Comment

• Scrap bumper from the T1/4, hacked with grinder, might add some barry boy mesh to save the cooler from stone damage for the time being. I've a plan for the original bumper, need to be deep to hide the bottom edge of that cooler, in two minds to swap the original back in or find something between the two.

Comment

Scrap bumper from the T1/4, hacked with grinder, might add some barry boy mesh to save the cooler from stone damage for the time being. I've a plan for the original bumper, need to be deep to hide the bottom edge of that cooler, in two minds to swap the original back in or find something between the two.
                            Have you kept the cut-out piece? Did you grind the two / three bottom fixings off the the IC?
                            Could you melt and mould (race car rivets?) the cut-out piece to form something around sides, top and bottom?
                            Perhaps a flat diffuser along the bottom edge of the full bumper?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              Have you kept the cut-out piece? Did you grind the two / three bottom fixings off the the IC?
                              Could you melt and mould (race car rivets?) the cut-out piece to form something around sides, top and bottom?
                              Perhaps a flat diffuser along the bottom edge of the full bumper?
                              I kept the cut out piece, it'll be partially transformed into ABS slurry....

I'm not doing anything to that bumper, what you can not really see in the picture, is when the donor T4 was cut in half, the monkeys in the yard dragged the front end across the yard, mostly on the previously undamaged bumper - it has huge gouges and scrapes all across the lower section. Like I said it is scrap.

The new bumper will incorporate something I picked up at tesco ages ago..

Comment

The new bumper will incorporate something I picked up at tesco ages ago..
                                I’m guessing a clubcard bumper splitter?

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X