No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo rocker cover for the win. Shitty T4 oil filler neck and breather setup binned on the Volvo. Still easy to fill without a funnel as the cap is more centralised and the breather for the catch can is further to the right. A far superior setup IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Last edited by TommyP; 5 February 2021, 09:31 PM.
    #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
      Volvo rocker cover for the win. Shitty T4 oil filler neck and breather setup binned on the Volvo. Still easy to fill without a funnel as the cap is more centralised and the breather for the catch can is further to the right. A far superior setup IMO.
      The funnel is a pain and my catch can will be on the left but you may be right, however these turned up today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210205_112943[1].jpg
Views:	303
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	319609

£86 including getting them sent from Bridgewater VW, Carrs in exeter couldn't be arsed to post so don't bother going there.

I could chuck one on ebay for 90, undercut all the other sellers and get one for free.

These also turned up today

Name:	IMG_20210205_105830[1].jpg
Views:	298
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	319610

Not such a bargain, non-genuine packard junior timer connectors - £6 each (ouch) - that's the best price I found, but I was led to believe they were genuine, not some ropey copies.

Comment

• Started today's task by mocking a piece up in card and then cutting it out of a sheet of plastic I had lying around

Name:	IMG_20210206_161914[1].jpg
Views:	300
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	319652

Not obvious what it might be at this stage but a few holes drilled and parts fitted and it becomes a bit clearer

Name:	IMG_20210206_165222[1].jpg
Views:	304
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	319653

And test fitted

Name:	IMG_20210206_165646[1].jpg
Views:	297
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	319654

Name:	IMG_20210206_165652[1].jpg
Views:	295
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	319655

Name:	IMG_20210206_165658[1].jpg
Views:	297
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	319656

And finally piped up

Name:	IMG_20210206_173330[1].jpg
Views:	299
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	319657

Quite happy with that... for now.

Comment

• Very nice.

Comment

• Much better. Looks good.

Comment

• Got the tricky section of the intercooler pipework fitted at last

Name:	IMG_20210212_174515[1].jpg
Views:	280
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	320032

How it's done here https://just-t4s.co.uk/forum/technic...ing#post320020

Comment

• Just about finished getting everything piped up, time to turn the key - click. Nowt.

Connected the big fat wire to the starter motor and it started to crank,

The injectors quickly primed and got nipped up, then nothing.

Bloody thing wont fire, wont do nothing, easy start straight down the manifold - nada, not even a cough.

Quick check and the cam timing is fine, best check compression next perhaps the new injectors don't sit right??

Comment

• Timing 180 degrees out ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                    Timing 180 degrees out ?
                    Yeah it is, I just went to check and I put the crank up to the mark on the gearbox and the cam was literally 180 degrees out, I've no idea how that happened because I'm sure it was timed up properly?

Comment

• Dont worry about it. Far duller folk than you have done that sort a thing. My "boss" at the little garage in Lempster got the inlet and exhaust pulleys the wrong way round on a Rover K series. He spent hours/days ffing about with it.I just mentioned the pulleys in passing and his face was a picture.

Comment

• Not sure if my easy start (egr/carb cleaner) had much left in the can as it was nearly empty, I've bought a couple more tins today.

The other concern I have is my injectors, the seal washers were new but I'm wondering if some issue is stopping them seating and thus there is no compression, but also when I built the injectors I set them at 220 BAR but subsequently I've tested known good injectors and they have all been very low on my gauge leading me to suspect that the gauge is reading very low so the injectors I built could well be 260 - 280 BAR and may not inject or are massively retarded as a result.

I've whipped the injectors out of my spare ACV and pop tested them and the all measured 180BAR so I'll rebuild the new injectors at 185-190 on my gauge.

In the meantime I'll time the pump back up and chuck the ACV injectors in instead.

Comment

• Swapped the injectors over to the tested ACV ones, re-set pump timing to 55

Tried to start and it's squeaking because an injector isn't seated properly but I'll ignore that for now, fuel soon squirts out of loose injector unions so I nip them up.

It's firing on easy start but doesn't want to go, I notice a leak from the fuel return line so tighten that up but still wont go.

Keen to remove any fuel supply issues I rig up my auxiliary tank hanging from bonnet and feeding the in port on the pump, still no go.

I nudge the timing forwards and backwards on the tensioners with no improvement either way.

By now I'm running out of time so I read the codes and there are no codes, so now I'm thinking is this communication issue as I'd expect something from all the bits that are unplugged?? Currently only the MAP is unplugged, I might unplug the EGR as I know that will generate a code.

Maybe the timing mark I've timed up too (using DTI) wasn't the timing mark, perhaps the pump is totally out of phase???

Loads of possibilities but I'm going for an ECU issue.

Tomorrows plan of attack - treble check and reset the pump timing, drag out the laptop and ensure that I can communicate with the ecu as I'm not convinced the handheld reader was actually seeing anything.

I did try to get clever with the wiring and hide a load of connections - moving the earths and live feeds off the battery post to clean everything up, I bet there's something not connected somewhere....

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            Swapped the injectors over to the tested ACV ones, re-set pump timing to 55

Tried to start and it's squeaking because an injector isn't seated properly but I'll ignore that for now, fuel soon squirts out of loose injector unions so I nip them up.

It's firing on easy start but doesn't want to go, I notice a leak from the fuel return line so tighten that up but still wont go.

Keen to remove any fuel supply issues I rig up my auxiliary tank hanging from bonnet and feeding the in port on the pump, still no go.

I nudge the timing forwards and backwards on the tensioners with no improvement either way.

By now I'm running out of time so I read the codes and there are no codes, so now I'm thinking is this communication issue as I'd expect something from all the bits that are unplugged?? Currently only the MAP is unplugged, I might unplug the EGR as I know that will generate a code.

Maybe the timing mark I've timed up too (using DTI) wasn't the timing mark, perhaps the pump is totally out of phase???

Loads of possibilities but I'm going for an ECU issue.

Tomorrows plan of attack - treble check and reset the pump timing, drag out the laptop and ensure that I can communicate with the ecu as I'm not convinced the handheld reader was actually seeing anything.

I did try to get clever with the wiring and hide a load of connections - moving the earths and live feeds off the battery post to clean everything up, I bet there's something not connected somewhere....
                            Sounds like an afternoon at mine.

Comment

• Sounds like a timing issue to me

Sent from my SM-A202F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                                Sounds like a timing issue to me

Sent from my SM-A202F using Just T4s
                                My guess is those bloody ignition switches. Mine 's now playing up too.

Comment

Working...
                                X