Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by d-9 View Post
    What model/year is the donor loom from? Ive got wiring diagrams for most VAG stuff.

Off the top of my head, the immo box should have earth (probably brown or brown/white), ignition live (black), K-line connection to the odb/port and other K-lines (grey/white), and K-line to the ECU (grey). Thats for a mk3 golf, will vary from model to model.

Can you connect to the immo box and ecu with vagcom?
    SEAT cordoba 1999 - have a 'complete' wiring guide from the web but it doesn't have all the bits!

I could connect..... if the port was plugged into anything.

Here's the prob - different number of wires/colours from VW wiring diagrams

The three pin plugs into the transponder - no problems there

The eight pin plugs into the loom - and disappears into the seat engine bay loom, except for one red/green wire which breaks back out of the loom to go to this plug

I've got the diag port ODB cable, which has this plug and socket to form a piggyback type assembly

But this cannot be right???

one wire to the two wire socket and I'm now left with two wires in a plug that don't connect to anything - I look the entire loom out of the donor, may have lost a small section somewhere.

edit - dunno what happened to any of these photos - cant replace them
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 9 July 2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Unfortunately not got a wiring diagram for a cordoba (What the heck is a cordoba anyway?), but Ive got diagrams for a 1999 alhambra, which looks like it uses the same immo box. The Alhambra uses all-white for its immo wiring, but it looks like the pinout of the box is as follows:

T8/1 - Red - Constant +12v
      T8/2 - Black - Ignition Switched +12v
      T8/4 - Brown - Earth
      T8/5 - Brown - Earth
      T8/7 - Green - ECU
      T8/8 - Green/Red - K-line (Diagnostic port pin 7, grey/white on VW)

For the ODB port to work, you need to wire it up as follows:
      4, 5 - Ground
      7 - K-line
      16 - +12v

Connect the immo to the odb port and you should be able to talk to it with vagcom, then connect the immo to the ECU and you should be able to talk to the ECU with vagcom (ODB comms for ECU go via the immo, but if you suspect the immo is faulty, you can connect the ECU K-line straight to the odb port and talk to the ECU directly - but it wont start).

Comment

• Thanks D, The Cordoba is the estate version of the Ibiza
        Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Originally posted by d-9 View Post
          Unfortunately not got a wiring diagram for a cordoba (What the heck is a cordoba anyway?), but Ive got diagrams for a 1999 alhambra, which looks like it uses the same immo box. The Alhambra uses all-white for its immo wiring, but it looks like the pinout of the box is as follows:

T8/1 - Red - Constant +12v
          T8/2 - Black - Ignition Switched +12v
          T8/4 - Brown - Earth
          T8/5 - Brown - Earth
          T8/7 - Green - ECU
          T8/8 - Green/Red - K-line (Diagnostic port pin 7, grey/white on VW)

For the ODB port to work, you need to wire it up as follows:
          4, 5 - Ground
          7 - K-line
          16 - +12v

Connect the immo to the odb port and you should be able to talk to it with vagcom, then connect the immo to the ECU and you should be able to talk to the ECU with vagcom (ODB comms for ECU go via the immo, but if you suspect the immo is faulty, you can connect the ECU K-line straight to the odb port and talk to the ECU directly - but it wont start).
          Cheers.

It would seem that the green/red is an extension to the K line signal and goes to the diagnostic port which would (I think) mean it plugs into the grey/white wire - problem is that those connections are both plugs, not a plug and socket.

If this is right then the immo is wired correct and shouldn't be killing the engine - need to get the diagnostics wired now and read it

Comment

• I've hard wired the diagnostics ODB lead into the immo box loom and have connection - it reads and reports no codes. ????

Then I tried some carb cleaner down the inlet and it fired up fine.

So then I hard wired the fuel solenoid to the battery and it fired the best ever - perfectly clean then died. It will now do this every turn of the key without fail.

Now I've connected a test lead onto the fuel solenoid and it's dead - all the time.

It seems that the ECU may have no power as the fuel solenoid is powered from the same line - I think. Would this explain the lack of codes from my reader?

The 109 is fine - I swapped it with the one in my van and my van still starts.

Is the ECU powered from G1 position 10?

It's bloody close mr sausages - soooo close.....
            Last edited by regcheeseman; 20 June 2017, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• When you fire it up how long does it run for?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                When you fire it up how long does it run for?
                About a second. Definitely the immo.

Comment

• Sounds like it. the rover seventy five would run for about a second with an uncoded key and show no obd codes, sounds like your on the right track. Impressed with you workmanship mate.

Comment

Sounds like it. the rover seventy five would run for about a second with an uncoded key and show no obd codes, sounds like your on the right track. Impressed with you workmanship mate.
                    Cheers!

I should get an 'engine blocked by immobliser' type code, in fact given all the messing about I'm doing, I should get a whole load of codes. This makes me wonder if the ECU is even powered - assuming the ECU is where the codes are stored???

What's the betting this turns out to be something stupid like a fuse.

There are a number of unconnected wires on the back of the fusebox, normally these are for optional extras - but the plug G1 is where I will be looking at first later, should have 12v on terminal 10.

At least I'm buoyed up by the fact it does at least start and starts easy. When I do get to the bottom of the immobiliser issue, it should run fine.

Then it's just a matter of...

connect driveshafts
                    fit EGR blank
                    fit bell housing cover
                    make hole in bulkhead for loom.
                    strip excess from loom and re-wrap
                    connect coolant pipes
                    re-fit lighting/fan loom
                    tidy wiring
                    modify and mount airbox
                    5th gear swap and re-fill
                    bleed clutch and brakes
                    re-fit front end
                    re-fit dashboard
                    pipe up intercooler

Comment

• Daft question, was the donor key you've got taped to the transponder known to be coded to the donor vehicle? Sounds like your almost there it can be the simplest things that trip you up.

Comment

Daft question, was the donor key you've got taped to the transponder known to be coded to the donor vehicle? Sounds like your almost there it can be the simplest things that trip you up.
                        All working fine when I stripped it.

I've only got the one SEAT key - has to be the right one.......doesn't it?

Any more hassle and I'll immo delete the mo fo.

Comment

• Yarp, that key is the original key from the complete running donor car

Comment

• Did you see it running in the seat? If i'am stating the obvious tell me to shut up as i'm just a rural mechanic who hasn't kept up with modern wiring since I left Volvo in 97.

Comment

• Yes mate, It was my mates car before he gave it to me

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
                                Yarp, that key is the original key from the complete running donor car
                                Sorry didn't see that, you should have all you need to get it running ........just a bit of a head scractcher.

Comment

Working...
                                X