The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Little less weld, move quicker, maybe up the power consider pulsing the weld - your bead should be barely proud of the surface, it doesn't look like you are getting much penetration.

You'll save ages in not grinding all that back.

It's looking good, you are making great progress.
    Theres times I think I've got it set right, then I'll blow a hole so I'll turn it down a setting. I know it's sitting too proud. I generally try to use setting 1 on high. Wire speed around 7 or 8. Ill try turning wire speed down a bit and moving quicker. I still kinda go by your 1 second on 1 off method. But I maybe let it cool a little long between welds?. I wait till the glow of the weld is starting to fade before I lay the next weld down?.. progress, I finally feel I'm getting somewhere. I'm hoping to get the sill finished on next visit then on to floor.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Dug out the bairns old paddling pool to soak my floor cut in citric acid. With hot water. Took an age to fill.

Comment

• Repurposing at its best. Hats off to you.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Id racked my head for days for something for it to fit in. Was a light bulb moment when I remembered their pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
            I still kinda go by your 1 second on 1 off method. But I maybe let it cool a little long between welds?. I wait till the glow of the weld is starting to fade before I lay the next weld down?..
            Nope that sounds bob on, the adjacent spot should be just fading/solidify, it's probably a bit quicker than a 1 second cycle. But the weld should sink into the metal.

Are you butt welding? Have no more than 1mm gap between parts and they must be clean, solid metal or it will blow through - although the cleanliness of you weld looks like you are getting that right as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Nope that sounds bob on, the adjacent spot should be just fading/solidify, it's probably a bit quicker than a 1 second cycle. But the weld should sink into the metal.

Are you butt welding? Have no more than 1mm gap between parts and they must be clean, solid metal or it will blow through - although the cleanliness of you weld looks like you are getting that right as well.
              Yes, mostly butt welds so far. I try keep to a 1mm gap but that depends how tidy I've been with the grinder. Ill keep practicing

Comment

• Not so easy on shaped parts to keep it tide , and i am not too bad with the grinder,

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

• I'm not too bad when cutting from above. Its when I'm cutting from underneath the van its harder. Thankfully most of my bad welding bits will be hidden or plenty room to grind them down.

Comment

• By bad welding I mean ugly. Not that its not stuck together right

Last edited by Fife t4; 6 August 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Some serious work there - I need to do a similar bit of repair only sliding door channel - most likely tack a new bit in but sense the paddling pool isn’t too far off!

Comment

• Appreciate how difficult it is, if you stray over 1mm gap then it does like to burn through

Comment

• Originally posted by mike_skinner View Post
                          Some serious work there - I need to do a similar bit of repair only sliding door channel - most likely tack a new bit in but sense the paddling pool isn’t too far off!
                          I've repaired both ends of the sliding door track. The test will be if the door works now!

Comment

• Welded in the underside of the sliding door sill today. Well mostly all in. Ran out of welding wire. Again. Its much harder welding upside down on my back. My stomach is covered in wee burns.

Last edited by Fife t4; 10 August 2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• I’ve got a similar job to do on the old boys soon, his bottom roller falls down and back up out of a hole at the minute...

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• My old 1 was like Swiss cheese

Comment

Working...
                                X