No announcement yet.

T4 with a T4 plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s not ripped like either of those, just frayed at the edges. The lighter trick might do the job to tidy it up.

Comment

• Thats not bad at all, just a flesh wound, only just an advisory!

Comment

• Okay so today I have been swapping out the ignition barrel, I’ll do this as a little ‘how to’ as I haven’t found one yet on this forum.

First of all you need to pop the horn cover off, mine doesn’t have an airbag so this is just a case of pulling off the middle of the wheel. There are two wires behind on spade plugs that you need to pull off too.

Then there is a 24mm nut in the middle, undo this and then wriggle the steering wheel off the steering column

Then there are three torx bolts but they have a line through so you can just use a flathead like I did, they aren’t very tight so it’s pretty simple to do. Then the indicator stick comes off, followed by the washer stick. There are about 5-6 electrical connectors that you need to disconnect before you can pull off the sticks.

Now some people reccomend you take off the whole key/barrel holder thing (big cast aluminium part bolted to the steering column) but I’m lazy so drilled it in place. You need to drill a hole 10mm down and 12mm across, as detailed in this diagram:

Access is a bit awkward but I drilled it fine, the cast aluminium is pretty soft so doesn’t take long to drill.

Then once the hole is made you can poke through it to release the catch on the key barrel. My key barrel had snapped at the lug that turns the ignition switch, seen here next to the new one.

You also may have noticed that my van has an immobiliser, it’s quite complicated to replace the immobiliser and I’m a cheapskate so what I’ve done is kept the old barre and key with the immobiliser ring and I’m stashing it away, sort of like a hidden switch for The immobiliser.

If you wanted to you could probably get the new keys coded and refit the immobiliser ring on the new barrel. That’s all really, I replaced the ignition switch at the same time as I had been starting the van with a screwdriver for a while and it had made a bit of a mess of the old one. They are not expensive things so if you are having starting trouble it might be worth replacing the ignition switch before going to all the effort.
        Hope this helps somebody, it’s nice to start the van with a key again!

Comment

• Loving the socks, very stylish.
          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Nice one mate that's bound to help folk on here.

Comment

• Small improvements continue

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                Loving the socks, very stylish.
                I'd get shot if I start a socks thread(sorry Reg) So here's mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3422.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	819.7 KB
ID:	292820

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post

I'd get shot if I start a socks thread(sorry Reg) So here's mine. Click image for larger version

Aye right, you've well stolen them out Molly's drawer

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Could be slightly more interesting than my Coronavirus: Latest Update thread then? Has Molly been sewing up dish cloths and window mitts? Or is it an 80's wristband you're wearing.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Yes, stolen from Molly. Rob you could be right.

Comment

Yes, stolen from Molly. Rob you could be right.
                        Thankfully we’re in lockdown so no poor soul needs to see those bad boys

Comment

• Originally posted by tenburner View Post

Thankfully we’re in lockdown so no poor soul needs to see those bad boys
                          Sorry mate not trying to hijack your great build thread, just hoping to add to it.Those aren't the worst socks I've ever worn .

Comment

Sorry mate not trying to hijack your great build thread, just hoping to add to it.Those aren't the worst socks I've ever worn .
                            ‘Build’ thread used loosely

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• No your threads cracking mate.

Comment

• Very small update

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X