Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The front end is back on now, left on the to do list is doing few of the connectors, de clutter the engine bay, fit the blienstin B4's, then fit the VRS clocks (once the mileage has been corrected) and then map it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1fb_img_1456344838573.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	257345

Comment

A couple of setbacks this week as we had an issue with cold starting it. So much time was spent sorting a map out and curing a few small bugs to make it run properly. There are a few bits left to do: fit new shocks, CV boots, tidy up wiring in engine bay/dashboard, fit new clocks.

The smoke you see from the exhaust is because it is still blowing through the last of the crap from when the engine originally exploded. Once it has been for a good run we are expecting that to clear. As you can also see, we were kind of limited for space!

Comment

Amazing thread, you have the patience of a saint with that mechanic.

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by JonR6 View Post
          The smoke you see from the exhaust is because it is still blowing through the last of the crap from when the engine originally exploded. Once it has been for a good run we are expecting that to clear.
          hmmmmmm - I admire your optimism.

The video looked like the sort of thing I would do, all the while thinking "I shouldn't be doing this, it's going to go horribly wrong in a minute" and shortly before demolishing garage and vehicle in one go.

Been there....

Comment

One very clever and patient man, loved the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              hmmmmmm - I admire your optimism.

The video looked like the sort of thing I would do, all the while thinking "I shouldn't be doing this, it's going to go horribly wrong in a minute" and shortly before demolishing garage and vehicle in one go.

Been there....
              Well we are looking at building an exhaust for it soon anyway, we are only using the original one for now in the hope of making it through the MOT.

Also, I was the one shooting the video, It was my friend Jon who was driving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave T View Post
                One very clever and patient man, loved the thread.
                Thanks. I wish I was the clever one, but credit for that needs to go to my friend Jon Monk. He is the one behind all of the clever stuff. I am just paying the bills and helping out where I can.

I saw an interview with Richard Rawlings (from Fast and Loud) the other day where he said that he has a good working relationship with Aaron where he lets the genius get on with it and he writes the cheques. Thats kinda the same situation we have! lol

Comment

Its pretty late and im knackered after a long day... but good news!! The van passed its MOT today! I will write up a full post on it soon.....

Comment

Well done mate [emoji106]

Comment

• awesome news

Comment

• Ok, after a really long day yesterday, Here is a proper update!

So I got a lift over to Monkeys house in the morning, and ran through the last few bits that needed doing like wiring up the horn (note to self, badass airhorn needs to be ordered! ). We then got the van fired up and took it over to Gillingham where we went to see a friend of a friend who happens to be an MOT tester. As the only thing we hadn't been able to do was sort out the map and fuelling we didnt know how it would manage with the emissions test. We had it put on their machine and adjusted our fuelling and map to make it suitable to pass the MOT (If its good enough for VW, its good enough for me! ). We did that and ran it through the MOT which it passed pretty well!!

It still has loads of stuff that it needs doing, such as:

make rev counter work
                        sort out fuel guage
                        reconnect heaters
                        fit new rear shocks (new Bilsteins just fitted on the front)
                        repaint and refit dashboad with new instrument cluster
                        get hold of a new floor and fit that
                        build new exhaust system with soundproofing
                        Rolling road for properly mapping the ecu.

There is probably loads of other stuff but thats just off the top of my head!

Comment

• Well that didn't last long. Its currently broken down in the worst possible spot EVER!!!! Its outside the mother inlaws house!

Good news is we know what it is (probably). The ECU was left for easy access for when we swap maps etc on the engine and its obviously not getting any power. Monkey put his multimeter to it and its not holding a steady 12 volts so will have a bit more of a poke and prod on it during my day off and hopefully restore power.

Comment

• Well we got it started again. Looks like it was a bad relay between the live and the ECU. We then spent the rest of the day soldering connections together, tiding up the rest of the wiring and then fitting the new rear shocks.

The ride seems to be pretty good now, and while I was under there I checked out the Ebach springs. They were one of the first mods I made to the van, and other than having the usual dirt and grim on them they were still in amazing condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_20160318_162848.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	257421

Comment

• Balls.

Tonight while driving back from a T4/T5 meet I lost 5th gear. I knew it was on the way out and had already bought the bits to do it on a suspicion. I think that as the gearbox hadn't been used in a couple of years while the van was off the road the rubbers in the linkage all perished. On the up side those bits to fix it only cost £16!

Comment

• This thread is incredible Jon. I cannot wait to get my
                                Hands on our first van.
                                All the best with yours you really deserve it
                                Thanks
                                For the inspiration

Comment

Working...
                                X