Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1caddy (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	257331

Thats handy, because this is my other daily driver!! How have you managed to fit the caddy grill into the standard bumper? (I'm assuming thats what you did?)

Comment

That's a nice find Reg [emoji106]

http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php?400-Vanwest-2016

Comment

Originally posted by JonR6 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]506[/ATTACH] How have you managed to fit the caddy grill into the standard bumper? (I'm assuming thats what you did?)
        lifted from my build thread elsewhere......

First up, I marked the centre of the bumper and made myself a template from some scrap hardwood left over from making the panels

Then used the template to mark out the bumper, the masking tape allowed me to draw a nice clear fine line

Biting the bullet I chopped it out using a circular saw to do the straight edges, a jigsaw and then a flap wheel in the grinder to make the final trimming

And then fitted the grille

Bonded in with tiger seal on the rear face and tidied up using some bumpersoft filler

I plastic primed and then high-build primed the bumper which nicely revealed all the lumps and bumps and scrapes and scratches. Out with the bumper filler once more prior to another load of high build.

Comment

Good job [emoji106]

http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php?400-Vanwest-2016

Comment

Sounds like an excuse for me to go out and buy a new circular saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by lawanderson View Post
              Sounds like an excuse for me to go out and buy a new circular saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s mobile app
              To be fair I want a new circular saw as well!

My front bumper has already been cut up, so would need to get hold of a new one. But I really like that idea though.
              Last edited by JonR6; 27 January 2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Reg - thats really neat, nicely done! Might have to put that on the shopping list if I replace my front bumper..

Jon/Law - makita LXT saw works really nicely To be fair, a grinder with a mm disc will do the trick just fine for the bumper, in fact would be my preference over the saw i think.

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                  To be fair, a grinder with a mm disc will do the trick just fine for the bumper, in fact would be my preference over the saw
                  +1

also you'd be surprised how easily a good tin-snips will cut a bumper, and less chance of a little slip

Rich.
                  Bodger extrodinare...

'95 T4 1.9tdi etc....

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                    To be fair, a grinder with a mm disc will do the trick just fine for the bumper, in fact would be my preference over the saw i think.
                    it'll snatch, get hot, foul the disc and end up trying to melt its way through and stink the garage out with acrid smoke - don ask me how I know but just say I chose the circular saw for good reason

My lidl battery saw was bought solely to build the interior for my van (cupboards/lining boards/floor/bed boards) and for a cheapo lidl tool it's done just fine

Jon, apologies for cluttering up your thread with my rubbish but did you need to modify the under tray at all?

Started attacking the sump pan, took a couple of big cuts and then tried to bash the centre section as flat as possible and then bent it up at an angle

And trimmed it down a bit

Test fitted and then cut some triangle section from some anodized ally plate

And then riveted them into place

And the pan test fitted back up into place before removal and repainting
                    Last edited by regcheeseman; 27 January 2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I honestly don't know, the van has been in so many parts for so long I can't remember the last time I saw the undertray! I will check it out next time I go over to the van.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                        it'll snatch, get hot, foul the disc and end up trying to melt its way through and stink the garage out with acrid smoke - don ask me how I know but just say I chose the circular saw for good reason
                        Sounds like you're using a regular cutting disc not a 1mm/plasma disc: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe...ng+Disc/p35514

Although in general I'm a lot more comfy using a grinder than I am a circular saw, so maybe its just familiarity. Certainly had no issues cutting my bumper with a grinder.

Comment

definitely using slit discs, I bought a couple hundred of them a few months ago , and I'm far happier using a grinder normally - just not this time.

Jon,

the van has been in so many parts for so long
                          Any idea when its going to be finished? I've just read though from the start and you've had a proper 'mare, I've read so many of these types of threads where a garage has been trusted to do the conversion and it's obviously been way out of their league or they completely underestimate the work involved - sound like you are getting there now though.

Comment

Well like I said, its been 19 months now I think since it blew up. We are hoping to have it back on the road with an MOT in the next 4-6 weeks. That depends on work, weather and all sorts of other things.

Comment

Well here is a video of the van running again, this time it has a bit of an exhaust but not much. Its really quiet compared to the old diesel it did have.

https://youtu.be/oNEbF-wfGQM

Here is a shot of what the bumper is going to look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_t4_front_bumper_19216.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	257341

Comment

Cant believe i've missed this post. So glad you got it running and fingers crossed you get some money back !!
                                dyslexics are teople poo

Comment

Working...
                                X