Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
    How are you going to get the swarf out?
    I think the oil cooler idea was probably the best shout, extra capacity and cooler oil for those 2 days of summer you will have.
    I may put in a cooler but they do not add more than a couple hundred ccs so not enough on their own, the cross pipe added 0.9 litres and still not enough.

I'll get the swarf out by opening up the plug at the bottom of the spar and flushing it out with air and water, then replace the plug with a 3/8 BST barbed fitting for the oil feed to the pump, which has a mesh screen.

I'll probably run for a bit, drop the oil and fitting and clean/check the screen

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      I'm conscious the capacity of the frame was borderline. so I decided to use the other spar as well,
      You know it makes sense.
      It'll be a pucka job afterwards.

1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

I may put in a cooler but they do not add more than a couple hundred ccs so not enough on their own, the cross pipe added 0.9 litres and still not enough.

I'll get the swarf out by opening up the plug at the bottom of the spar and flushing it out with air and water, then replace the plug with a 3/8 BST barbed fitting for the oil feed to the pump, which has a mesh screen.

I'll probably run for a bit, drop the oil and fitting and clean/check the screen
        Probably for the best. Whats an oil change cost?
        It's an interesting build, don't be shy with the photos Reg.
        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Originally posted by DubDick View Post

You know it makes sense.
          It'll be a pucka job afterwards.
          Seconded. .

Comment

Probably for the best. Whats an oil change cost?
            It's an interesting build, don't be shy with the photos Reg.
            I thought I was being quite heavy with photos, to the non bikey types on here, they are random bits of aluminium mostly and probably don't make any sense, in fact to most T4 owners the concept of stripped down and lightweight is an alien one - dont worry you lot; I'll fit a wardrobe on the back of the bike lashed up from 4x2 and 25mm thick MDF, then carpet the lot and backlight it with coloured leds.
            Final tuches will be some stickers, lots of stickers and hang some flower garlands from the mirrors....

Comment

If they don't like it they don't have to read it.

Comment

I thought I was being quite heavy with photos, to the non bikey types on here, they are random bits of aluminium mostly and probably don't make any sense, in fact to most T4 owners the concept of stripped down and lightweight is an alien one - dont worry you lot; I'll fit a wardrobe on the back of the bike lashed up from 4x2 and 25mm thick MDF, then carpet the lot and backlight it with coloured leds.
                Final tuches will be some stickers, lots of stickers and hang some flower garlands from the mirrors....
                Sir, Ive enjoyed the concept, rebuild and thread so far.... but the suggestion to deviate from the concepts primary feature is a step too far for this reader.
                Anun

PS: Wouldn't a temporary close rail suit the lightweight & stripped back design better, a sort of over-sized sissy bar?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  Sir, Ive enjoyed the concept, rebuild and thread so far.... but the suggestion to deviate from the concepts primary feature is a step too far for this reader.
                  Anun

PS: Wouldn't a temporary close rail suit the lightweight & stripped back design better, a sort of over-sized sissy bar?
                  If that was meant to be clothes rail, then yeah I get ya.

Comment

If they don't like it they don't have to read it.
                    Not a bike bloke but i love anything fabration or restoration related so keep it coming i'm all ears.

Comment

Oil return pipe needed modification to return oil to top of frame spar.

Comment

Stupid uploader... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210625_111513~2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	888.3 KB
ID:	326899

Comment

welded and fitted, black pen mark is where the boss for the banjo fitting will get welded in.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210625_113918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	725.3 KB ID:	326901

Comment

Having modified the frame to use the extra capacity and welded up the extra bits, I filled it with water, it now takes 5 litres to brim it, I only need 3 litres so the oil will fill half the frame leaving plenty of air space.
                            To test the welds I pressurised the frame with 10 psi from the compressor, seems I made a lawn sprinkler
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210712_205715_sml.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	328775

Ground out with a rotary burr on the dremel and welded again and it is integral and holding pressure. with the frame now done I set about the swing arm, there was a nasty gouge where the previous owner had mounted the exhaust bracket too close to the arm

Name:	IMG_20210715_194150_sml.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	328776
                            Ground back and over filled with weld

Name:	IMG_20210715_204138_sml.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	328777

Then there was a rivnut spinning in the hole, couldn't pull it out and drilling it left half inside, the only way to get it out was to cut a bigger hole and weld in an insert that was turned up for the frame mods but ruined because I drilled too far through it.

Name:	IMG_20210716_173654_sml.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	328778

Name:	IMG_20210716_173613_sml.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	328779

Obviously got more Tig.

Started to put the bike back together, back up as a rolling chassis and I wanted to get some of the bits I've been buying fitted, first up was the flat bar conversion.

Simple, drilled and tapped the top yoke and bolted it up.

Name:	IMG_20210724_185154_sml.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	328780

Comment

The bike came with a TZR rear seat unit but as I want the bike to look as light and minimalist I wasn't totally happy with it, as standard it was far too large and wide so I cut a tapered section out of the middle. 50mm at the front and 65mm at the back to pull the rear of the bike around the planned exhaust.
                              I sanded a slot in the gel coat so i could let in some fibreglass and then the augmented this with a decent thickness of fibremat on the inside face, ended up with this;

Name:	IMG_20210725_234441_sml.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	328784

With the seat unit the right basic shape I could start mocking up for the custom subframe

Name:	IMG_20210725_234556_sml.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	328786
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X