X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The murph mobile

The 1.0 Corsa given to me by my neighbours - The Murphys

I made two mistakes..

Giving it a name, it now thinks I care about it and therefore it can get away with being a twat.

Messing with the black art of petrol engines

It was fine for about a 1000 miles then it started kangarooing, mostly at 2200rpm under mild load.

It got a service
    Changed coilpack
    Changed plugs
    Changed MAF

Every time I tried something it would be fine for a little while then the kangaroo petrol would return. Worse on cold mornings

Code reader gave nothing

On a few occasions the ECU throws a hissy and decides to disconnect the throttle pedal signal, and just sits idling, key off and on and away you go again. Sometimes it throws up an EML, sometimes not, but never any codes.

Tried the Corsa C forum, they advise reading codes, buying a new reader and crank and cam sensor.

The cam and crank sensors turned up today, the story goes like this....

Start engine
    Unplug cam sensor - it carries on running
    Stop engine
    Swap cam sensor
    Swap crank sensor
    Wont start, occasional misfire
    Cant be cam sensor because the engine doesn't care if that is plugged in or not...
    take out crank sensor, find two orings fitted, packing the sensor off the block, remove one o ring, refit
    still wont start
    fit old crank sensor
    still wont start
    fit old cam sensor
    starts!
    fit new crank sensor - still starts
    unplug old cam sensor and plug wire into new cam sensor but don't fit it - still starts
    fit new cam sensor into head - wont start
    As soon as the new cam sensor fits in the head it kills the engine???? runs fine if it is just plugged in and left hanging.

So the car is running on new crank sensor and old cam sensor - but I have a EML on
    Plug in my old code reader for a laugh, (new one still not arrived) and it finds a code - 'cam sensor bank A'
    Delete code, EML goes out and stays out.

It still runs exactly the same as before - rubbish.

Glad I brimmed the tank this morning, should make a good fireball. Might have to fix the van at this rate.

My Mrs' Corsa from 20+ years ago had similar problems. Solved with a

GM / Bosch MAF
    Cleaned up all the Earths

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      My Mrs' Corsa from 20+ years ago had similar problems. Solved with a

GM / Bosch MAF
      Cleaned up all the Earths
      It's had a new Bosch MAF

Just ordered a replacement loom, that'll get a good going over.

Barely made it to work this morning, it got really bad, three goes to pull away first thing, kept stalling. Kangarooing really violent now, even just cruising along on minimal throttle, odd because it was ok ish last night but it did rain for the first time in a while during the night. Could well be damp related/electrical.

Comment

Pissed myself reading this. Been there before and you can’t help but sit back and laugh until you let out a gigglefart. If you don’t then that’s when the fireball mentality kicks in.

The Golf is playing silly buggers too at the minute. Occasionally the engine farts and then loses low down torque for a bit (most likely variable intake issue) then other times it runs like a dog at idle only - just randomly chooses one of the 6 cylinders to leave out of firing each revolution. ECU’s are dog wank.

Ref the Corsa, I had similar issues on a vectra Sri once and turned out to be oil leaking into the throttle body. Never sorted the leak but just kept carb cleaner in the car for when it started kangarooing and running rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        #vanlife

Comment

Try and Oxy sensor. When starts telling tale of bank a or b it often is the Lambda

Comment

If your having cam and crank sensor issues these things also suffer with timing chain wear and tension problems.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
              If your having cam and crank sensor issues these things also suffer with timing chain wear and tension problems.
              Not having crank or cam sensor problems - I changed them on the recommendation of the internet, the new crank sensor made no difference (if anything its run worse since fitting) and the new cam sensor was broken out of the box.

It ran fine 1000 miles ago, doubt timing has gone south that quick but I'm considering a timing issue.

Got a loom in the post, the intermittent nature of the fault suggests electric fault, no codes is a pain.

I've cleaned earths and ECU contacts tonight, there was nothing wrong with them and it still drive shite.

Comment

When it came to Foxholes i always struggled getting faults code out of them, dont know if its there wonky system or my wanky code readers

Comment

Is the ECU sealed correctly?
                  Any indicators of water / moisture ingress internally?

Comment

Is yours the 1.0L 3 cylinder X10XE engine Reg?
                    Had a word with my mechanic mate who runs two old Corsas as courtesy cars, as well as other Ka type shite.
                    He suggested checking the idle control. Its a flat black-plastic stepping motor bolted to the driver's side of the throttle body. It acts as a variable throttle stop and prone to fail, but also suggested carrying out a quick compression test to rule out a inter-cylinder leak through the head/gasket which is the most common fault on this engine type.

Comment

I think its days are numbered, running like an absolute pig today, especially on way home.

Started making odd noise too, could be an air leak, could be something worse, been looking for another car as I'm reluctant to spunk any more cash/time on it.

Comment

Stick that Audi v6 2.5tdi in it?
                        Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                        I think its days are numbered, running like an absolute pig today, especially on way home.

Started making odd noise too, could be an air leak, could be something worse, been looking for another car as I'm reluctant to spunk any more cash/time on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Stick that Audi v6 2.5tdi in it?
                          And weigh the lot in.

Comment

Have you tried cleaning the inside of the throttle body with carb/f injection cleaner.Could be as simple as that.But I’m sure you know better.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

And weigh the lot in.
                              Nah... Get another engine to drop in?
                              Its for your lad, & you've invested time and dosh already. You'll get your money back.

Comment

Working...
                              X