Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys. There is plenty of room in my van for two on the 3/4. Bed

Comment

• Well I’ve slept in vans pretty extensively for years and experienced different layouts and I’ll say this:

3/4 R&R beds:

Cons: Barely enough room to sleep comfortably but you can, JUST. I am very seriously and actively considering ditching mine. The don’t make a comfy seating area when in seat mode either.

Pros: You’ve got room to have wardrobes, hob, fridge/freezer, food prep inside the van. You can turn up on site in a hurricane and it doesn’t matter. Especially if you have a toilet on board. Just ride out the storm as you don’t need the awning for any necessities.

Full width:

Cons: Everything is fucked. Your shit is absolutely everywhere when you’re travelling, you’ve got nothing for quick and easy camping and 1 day constant touring is a fucking joke, you just can’t do it hassle free.

Pros: Extra seat for kids/passengers. Great big comfy bed for a cracking night sleep.

U-Shaped rear:

Cons: everything stored under the seats/bed is a fucking ballache to get out from inside the van and most builds I’ve seen have no access to the storage from the rear doors at all. Incredibly cramped when the table is set up and not much better when it isn’t. With the slope of the sides of the van there not much cope to lounge around in either. Leaves you less room for kitchen etc. All the ones I’ve seen are constructed in a way that either makes it not possible to fit a toilet under the seat or you have to lift it up and out and both are inconvenient. My brother in law and sisters T5 features this layout and it looks very sparkly and pretty but it’s highly impractical despite them having a pop top.

Pros: looks nice in sheep magazines.

Cooking in vans makes the van stink: Total load of fucking bollocks in my experience of campervan you ownership. We’ve always cooked in our van and whether it’s a spag bol from scratch or a fried full English, it just doesn’t stink. Door open and sometimes the window if it isn’t raining. Plenty of carpet everywhere in is too to catch the stench but it just doesn’t.

I’ve recently been looking at the Holdworth Vista style layout: full width bed without loosing everything else inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      Last edited by TommyP; 14 May 2023, 08:10 AM.
      #vanlife

Comment

• They stink pre , post and during cooking.
        Everything mings of burning oil , burnt food and a full English leaves you wanting another brekky after an hour every hour for the holiday duration.

Plus, you permanently fucking stink of oil and diesel.

Comment

• That was a great write up Tommy and it'll help a lot. Thats the first time I've seen that Holdsworth layout. Im assuming your rear passengers just travel looking out the side window? I did see a belt there i think.
          I like that but because I have the twin sliders like Ben and Arf ill need to do something different. My rear seat will probably have to fit between the rear tubs of the van which is why I was asking about 3/4 width. Its only around 1200mm between the tubs. Your putting me off the 3/4s width but in my head Huskyman is a tall stocky chap and he says they're OK. I'm built like a butchers pencil and Michelle is just a petite wee thing so a 3/4 could maybe work for us.
          I can get a frame only for a 3/4 for free or very cheap. The thing weighs a ton and I don't like them. I hate the way they fold and see the seat bit that looks out the tailgate/barn doors is just fkn stupid. However, I do like how a RIB bed folds. But they're ridiculous prices. More than I paid for my van. Ill have to make something.

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• Fife. I am. 6.2 tall. And 17 stone. Me and the Mr,s. Are ok with it no problems.i will send you some pics later in the day

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
              Fife. I am. 6.2 tall. And 17 stone. Me and the Mr,s. Are ok with it no problems.i will send you some pics later in the day
              Sounds a bit dodgy, the way that is phrased.

​​
              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• What's dodgy then arf.

Comment

• Originally posted by fifet4 View Post
                  That was a great write up Tommy and it'll help a lot. Thats the first time I've seen that Holdsworth layout. Im assuming your rear passengers just travel looking out the side window? I did see a belt there i think.
                  I like that but because I have the twin sliders like Ben and Arf ill need to do something different. My rear seat will probably have to fit between the rear tubs of the van which is why I was asking about 3/4 width. Its only around 1200mm between the tubs. Your putting me off the 3/4s width but in my head Huskyman is a tall stocky chap and he says they're OK. I'm built like a butchers pencil and Michelle is just a petite wee thing so a 3/4 could maybe work for us.
                  I can get a frame only for a 3/4 for free or very cheap. The thing weighs a ton and I don't like them. I hate the way they fold and see the seat bit that looks out the tailgate/barn doors is just fkn stupid. However, I do like how a RIB bed folds. But they're ridiculous prices. More than I paid for my van. Ill have to make something.

Yeah I think I could get away with 3 belts in the rear as I’d have mounts into the b and c pillars for them. I’d have to think about it though as I don’t think sideways seating is very safe and I quite like my kids.

With twin sliders I’d just have 2 forward facing single seats rather than that one at the side for the Holdsworth layout.

Also that little bit of seat at the back of some rock and roll beds is actually very useful. That’s where we stow our awning when traveling. I’m a fat fucker and I can sleep in a 3/4 with the missus so you will be fine.

Why would yours need to fit in between the arch tubs? That’ll leave you about 7inch on either side of the bed which could become un useable space I reckon?

Rather than the U shaped rear I wonder how an L shaped one would feel? Certainly less cramped than trying to sit in a U shaped……

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  #vanlife

Comment

• If I were you I would consider my last solution to this issue, especially given the twin slider aspect.

40 euro IKEA sofa bed. A bit of work with a jigsaw to account for the wheel arches (or tubs, as the cool kids call them) and the best part is you don't even have to fasten it down. It just wedges in (important for me due to itv regulations etc) meaning it's quickly removable and you have a van again in 10 mins. It's a comfy bed a good sofa too. Takes about a minute to set up with the sheet and quilt. Less in summer when we don't need the quilt.

I would have a trawl through my build thread, all the info is there jumbled in amongst the fuck muppetry.

Comment

• I'm waIting for Si to join in, and remind you lot that you're a bunch of soft lads.

However I suppose the mixed debates offer up some cracking ideas. One thing is for sure you'll try your ideas and then modify as you start to use the van. It's also easy to adapt your configuration to suit the journey and stay type.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        I'm waIting for Si to join in, and remind you lot that you're a bunch of soft lads.

However I suppose the mixed debates offer up some cracking ideas. One thing is for sure you'll try your ideas and then modify as you start to use the van. It's also easy to adapt your configuration to suit the journey and stay type.

Sí has a slab of concrete in the back of his for sleeping on.

Comment

• Yea your right Tommy. If I go between the tubs it'll leave around 7 or 8 inches on each side. I'd utilise that space for something.

Arf I've read every build thread, and yours more than once as its a twin slider. Your vans 1 of my favourites with its bohemian kinda style. But I want to take passengers and the ikea bed wouldn't cut it.

Comment

Yea your right Tommy. If I go between the tubs it'll leave around 7 or 8 inches on each side. I'd utilise that space for something.

Arf I've read every build thread, and yours more than once as its a twin slider. Your vans 1 of my favourites with its bohemian kinda style. But I want to take passengers and the ikea bed wouldn't cut it.

Ah, ok. That would be difficult and raises it's own set of issues.

Seems then you are either forced down the rock and roll avenue or maybe look at (I think they are) multivan seats that make a bed.
                            It's going to be tricky for you.

Thanks for your kind comments about Adolfo. The fat cnut costs me a fortune every year and it's nice to hear something positive about him.

Comment

• I'll probably rip off your mural on the roof idea to lol

Comment

I'll probably rip off your mural on the roof idea to lol

Be my guest.

Nearly broke my back doing that. Not to mention the strange looks from people passing by while I'm on the roof in the street.
                                It's fading like a good 'un now too.

Oh well.
                                Last edited by arfur fox-acre; 14 May 2023, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X