Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am, well box rebuildwise I am.

Comment

• Yeah what was up with the box?

Those ZF autos suffer with the valve bodies sometimes - my money is on that.

I’ve destroyed 2 ZF autos in my motoring career.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• Yep, the control valve assembly, the solenoids were good but the seals within the pressure housing had perished possibly the low oil and resulting pressure didn't help plus it had broken a dowel rod internally that must protect the transmission. That was difficult to track down, as a repair by pinning/bonding it wasn't true enough. ZF in the US were really helpful , providing me with the assemblys diagrams/torques, spares info etc and eventually the composite pin needed. They were 15x cheaper than the UK & Germany too! The owners book states 3L for an oil change but it took 7L after the rebuild. It ended up being long winded in terms of time but cheap to replace the parts required.

I did consider ditching the auto as a reserve plan, having found a manual box for it but the costs added up.

Comment

• I like the beemers wheels

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Yep, the control valve assembly, the solenoids were good but the seals within the pressure housing had perished possibly the low oil and resulting pressure didn't help plus it had broken a dowel rod internally that must protect the transmission. That was difficult to track down, as a repair by pinning/bonding it wasn't true enough. ZF in the US were really helpful , providing me with the assemblys diagrams/torques, spares info etc and eventually the composite pin needed. They were 15x cheaper than the UK & Germany too! The owners book states 3L for an oil change but it took 7L after the rebuild. It ended up being long winded in terms of time but cheap to replace the parts required.

I did consider ditching the auto as a reserve plan, having found a manual box for it but the costs added up.
            All ZF auto motors I know off quite the oil change volume rather than the dry box and TC figure which is often double or more. I guess you had a dry TC then for it to take 7L?

Cracking story of a home repair. Absolutely love it.

#vanlife

Comment

• Pulled these out of the Tardis earlier for the rear access camper drawer.
              Computer server cabinet locking roller bearing rails. These were a fiver for the pair on eBay auction.

1155mm max length extended / locked
              640mm when closed, no lock

Comment

• Thanks to Kev (Fruitbat) today for some workshop advice on pillar press drills, step drill bits and coolant paste. I managed to bag a couple of great deals especially on a new Sealey pillar, with an extra eBay promotion of 15% off.

Comment

• Bought a 2nd hand little used 240v mini compressor fridge for £40. Uses just 120W on the inverter. Cold milk, meats and cheeses without coughing up £500+ notes for something #vantastic.

Comment

• Robs build thread photos are always close in, does he still even have a van?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      Robs build thread photos are always close in, does he still even have a van?
                      I can confirm that he does. 54 of them in fact. But he hasn’t released the handbrake on one since 1993.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        Robs build thread photos are always close in, does he still even have a van?
                        I do Si, but the handbrakes are seized (its 1995 actually TP), I'm just awaiting the right thread to help me out.

Comment

I'm just awaiting the right thread to help me out.
                          Left-hand threads can be a bugger unless clearly marked as such

Comment

• Gearbox Ramblings
                            Stripped the input shaft today.
                            The black nitrile gloves were shimmering with a ground silver paste!
                            The donor EWB gearbox had done about 130K iirc with output shaft pinion gear having exploded - loosing almost a complete tooth.
                            1st and 2nd input gears are machined as part of the input shaft. Both looked clean with no obvious signs of wear. So the input 3rd to 5th are salvageable/reusable subject to closer inspection. Using the various manuals available to me, it stripped down and bagged pretty quickly. One notable omission in the strip was there was no shim present between 4th and 5th gears per the 02B gearbox 7zip breakdown . (pn#7 Jim! (0.65-1.27mm according to the set)).

I note from a SEAT Leon 2013 Ed.3 2017 02S workshop manual that wave spring washers are being used. Float according to the specs is a mere 0.25 - 0.49mm max. The manuals offer a great insight
                            Into the observations and measurements we should be checking.

Anyway I need to invest in some tooling to strip the output shaft.
                            Last edited by Activ8; 26 July 2022, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Had a look over the diff drive gear, Whatsapp'd Kev for machining advice but he cannot repair so unless I can find someone local to take a look/suggest a repair strategy, the safer decision imo would be to shelve (almost wrote bin!) the EWB diff.

The VAG workshop manuals handily list a tool list and a picture at the start of an action. As well as the VAG ref# they also quote the equivalent Kukko brand. From that you can identify the tool specifications to locate a cheaper equivalent.
                              I found the tooth chip partly sitting in the diff teeth held with grease / sludge paste and the output shaft pinion gear.
                              Last edited by Activ8; 27 July 2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I found the tooth chip partly sitting in the diff teeth held with grease / sludge paste and the output shaft pinion gear.
                                You have clearly justified the case for fitting magnetic plugs Rob.

I've already fitted some, but If there's sufficient demand from Forum Members interested in long-term ownership, that's the sort of thing Kev could knock out?

PN7 contains lots of advice, but sadly doesn't mention metallic sludge

https://assets.publishing.service.go...e-note-PN7.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X