Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Something to take note of is the effectiveness of the magnet held at the base and split of the two casing halves. Whilst it clearly has done its job it loses its magnetic attractiveness , effectiveness and function over the course of time and the mileage these boxes are now at.
    Once caked in fine metallurgy debris, a sort of oily metallic paste. It actually serves no purpose - its overloaded. I tried it before a quick clean. The teeth fragment and large chips failed the attraction test.
    I wonder if an upgrade to a neomydium type would serve it better now?
    Changing the oil or flushing the box regularly wouldn't clear the debris attracted unless there's a mechanics trick or tip?

If the magnets inside the cases are overloaded (assuming that you already have some there?) then you are surely overdue a total rebuild, and particularly bearing replacement?

Magnetic plugs allow you to visually assess how far down this path you already are, and conveniently allow you to remove any debris caught there by cleaning them, freeing them up again for further duty.

If concerned, and feeling that you need to go to the next level, at least on the O2B you can remove the tin end cover in order to assess how much debris has been picked up by the internal magnet, and clean that off also. Dead easy and accessible in situ.

Changing the oil will remove most of the metal debris that has not/is not being trapped by the magnet(s).

In my book, the stronger the magnets the better. Metal contamination is inevitable after all?

Comment

• First pass with the required bell housing / casing that's required for the 02S.

Found something rusting and stated it degreased from Quadraleine in the shed that I used on my bikes that clearly needed using up. A liberal coating cuts in and with a little brushing digs deep . The barrow capturing all the gunk and grime. Left a second coat to soak while I grabbed the portable Aldi (I think) steam cleaner to agitate the years of use at TP's hands. Brew prepped, water boiled a first pass with the cleaner effortlessly sweep the shite off, kept it moving so as not to upset the casing metalwork but so far so good. Steam used up, unplugged before a reload and another bash. Tea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

If the magnets inside the cases are overloaded (assuming that you already have some there?) then you are surely overdue a total rebuild, and particularly bearing replacement?

Magnetic plugs allow you to visually assess how far down this path you already are, and conveniently allow you to remove any debris caught there by cleaning them, freeing them up again for further duty.

If concerned, and feeling that you need to go to the next level, at least on the O2B you can remove the tin end cover in order to assess how much debris has been picked up by the internal magnet, and clean that off also. Dead easy and accessible in situ.
        This is a donor gearbox as I need the bell housing Jim. Previous post was just an observation. The one magnet is housed in the base of the two casing halves. There's no visual without splitting and deconstructing the whole box. There's only one magnet seated at the boxes lowest point. There's no magnet at the 5th gear cover. Unless it's the 5th damaged like this one you wouldn't have an inkling other than weighing the metals after an oil change perhaps.

Your blind to the state of it without a casing split and refurb. Hence why 02B's are destroyed all too often perhaps?
        Last edited by Activ8; 6 August 2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• A couple of steam passes later, the bell housing starts to show up some (I assume?) wear and tear.

The diff has started to rub the inner surfaces of the housing.

The metal has started to show through the outer clag. My intention is to leave it to soak in a solution over the next week.

All good.
          Last edited by Activ8; 6 August 2022, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Evening!

Comment

• Fucking hell!

An actual T4.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                Fucking hell!

An actual T4.
                Thought you were hibernating?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  Fucking hell!

An actual T4.
                  It isnā€™t his

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Afternoon .....

Comment

• It's still not his

Comment

• A good day at Goodrevy!

Comment

• How do you keep the sand out of the gearbox rebuild Rob - taking it apart is the easy bit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
                            How do you keep the sand out of the gearbox rebuild Rob - taking it apart is the easy bit?
                            Easy Jim. You leave it at home soaking and forget it existed for a short while.

Anyway I think gearbox breaking and rebuilding is the easy bit tbh. Cleaning it up to shim then test it is the clever more challenging part.
                            Last edited by Activ8; 12 August 2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Taking a chill pill at Fowey washed down with medleys of fish platters, (line caught - inserted for TP) Chablis and some light swimming / floating in the Estuary.

Comment

• Eh, how the other half live. Alright for some
                                Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Working...
                                X