Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With time to kill I set about rubbing it back smooth - again - in the morning sunshine. But left the top edge as I wanted to see if I'd like the textured contrast. I used one of those household sponge sanding blocks which made light work of the dimpled 2K but confirmed the great depth of 2K paint the novice can apply when operating a spray gun. I'll never rattle again! I continued through the grades to 3000 then some G3 for a laugh.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Last edited by Activ8; 10 September 2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• I didn't like the textured bonnet top look so rubbed it back and took the bonnet back to 1000 in prep for another paint day. The bonnet saga will continue ....

Comment

• Never rattle again!
        Now you understand my advice.

The wet sanded finish looks good in the pics, if you put on enough paint, you can always get back to a perfect finish

Comment

• Yep, Im in my infancy in painting terms but rattle cans are simply a waste of money.

Comment

• Not strictly true its horses for courses, I wouldn't dream of getting a paint gun out for satin black, or for something like a fuel cap. What reg says apples to all paints if you apply properly and apply enough of it you can get a good finish. I appreciate this finish isn't as good or easy as it was when cellulose was main stream......

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

• You're quite right Greeny. Cans have a place but it is a compromise and an expensive one. The preps the same but cost per coverage (for novice like me at least) the cans are expensive, will need repeating compared to a good 2K paint which can last a lifetime. The weather , time , the job size and possibly finish clearly pay large factors for most of us with your repair and paint planning, so planning to use a can is the easiest option. With little additional planning you can spraygun and clean up in 20 minutes, may be a lot less if you have a little space.

I'm not really able - as a novice - to comment as I've always paid for painting but I'm smitten by the prep & paint world, lets face it alongside welding they can be two of the most expensive van maintenance costs and all too often factors that tip the "time to sell / move on" for most!

I'm enjoying learning the skill set too, prep can be therapeutic in small chunks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                Not strictly true its horses for courses, I wouldn't dream of getting a paint gun out for satin black, or for something like a fuel cap. What reg says apples to all paints if you apply properly and apply enough of it you can get a good finish. I appreciate this finish isn't as good or easy as it was when cellulose was main stream......

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s
                Rattle cans are fine for a temporary job or a bracket, but I'll still get the gun filled with satin for anything more than a small part - For two reasons - cans are very expensive and the coverage/protection you get from a gun is far superior.

If its a top coat I doubt I'll ever use anything but 2K - I love pineapple chunks.

Comment

• What is the deal with satin?
                  Just looked at the weather for the weekend and theres a few good prep / paint days starting Sunday...

Comment

• Its a little slow on here so I know you all think I hate VAG 1.9's but I don't. Had to do a little work on my Mk4 ARL last month. Its over at the MIL's bungalow, Ive had it a lot of years with 150k on it. It runs 225bhp on coilovers, factory heated Recaro front & rear black leather, factory SatNav, auto wipers, HID headlights and washers. A few engine tweaks for inter stellar performance. Mrs dont like being in it at all , hmmm shame. Our Mk5 is a 1.9 too!

Last edited by Activ8; 12 September 2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Love it! What engine tweeks?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Last edited by Fife t4; 11 September 2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Heres my arl....it has a revo map installed

IF ITS NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT

Comment

• How many vehicles do you own? You can only drive one...

Comment

• He has a drive full.

Comment

• He has a few drives full I think. The mk4 is such a bland, fat boring thing really but I really do love them. Very well built and they just tick all the boxes. I love mine. I’ve had 3. Have big plans for the V6 4mo.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Love the mk4 also. Hate the mk5.

Comment

Working...
                                X