No announcement yet.

Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the immobiliser say when you connect to that?

Comment

• Can you connect to the immo?

Oh yeah option 25 - I'll try that tomorrow, all this electrical diagnostics is new to me, I'm tempted to just MTDI the bleeder.

Comment

• Yeah you can connect to the immo, you can even go into measure blocks and get status out of it. Stuff like 'key detected' and 'engine start allowed'

Comment

• First up - turned my attention to the circular multi pin connector as the diagnostic codes seem to point to a probable issue there, I remove the locking ring off the housing and I can feel the socket engage - except it isn't properly.
          The rubber seal is binding on the housing and the locking ring has been slipping and it looks like the connector is fitted together, sealing ring removed, and the socket pushed together all but two of the ECU faults disappear.
          I'm left with a brake pedal switch fault - because it's not fitted and

Engine blocked by immobiliser.

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
          Yeah you can connect to the immo, you can even go into measure blocks and get status out of it. Stuff like 'key detected' and 'engine start allowed'
          Read the codes...

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 6H0 953 257 A
          Component and/or Version: IMMO VWZ3Z0W9230983 V68
          Software Coding: 09600
          Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
          3 Faults Found:
          01128 - Immobilizer Pickup Coil (D2)
          35-10 - - - Intermittent
          01176 - Key
          07-00 - Signal to Low
          01176 - Key
          65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent
          I fiddled with the transponder ring and the key position but nothing.

So I tried vag can commander 5.0 and 5.1 but it wont connect via K-line (no option)

Commander ver 3.6 runs and connects but reads nothing from the immo so I cannot delete anything - there's one wire not connected ( W line) yellow wire and google wont tell me where it goes, maybe that is the problem?

Anybody got a version of commander that will work?

Pee'ed right off with wasting hours and hours getting it to run, I decided that I would at least do something useful - so I filed and fitted the EGR blank, then I tidied some wiring and started to fit the airbox.

Put a dob of grease on the airbox mounting points, rested it in place and then removed it. Centre punched where the grease spots were and then drilled it out for nutserts.

Tomorrow - fifth gear swap and driveshafts.

There's a cover plate on the bottom half of the gearbox bell housing missing and ETOS wont give me a part number - anyone know what it might be?

Sausage - I was going to take the ECU to Ed and get him to immo delete it - you ok to cover the cost?

Comment

• No probs bud, just text me the price.
            Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• By golly I may have just cracked it....

I've been googling for info until gone 1 every night this week

Earlier I found a download link once I'd navigated through a load of unwanted spam programs revealed all the versions of vag com.

But even better than that further googling for info on deleting the immo on this ecu I found a random post that contained a gem of info about a green/black wire going to ecu pin 61.

There's a green/black wire on the immo box that I originally read was not connected and there's a spare green black wire coming from the ECU to a 3 pin connector that would not connect to anything. I'll check tomorrow if it goes to 61 on the ECU - if so I'm tapping into that one.

Fingers and toes crossed for happy news tomorrow....

edit: just checked my seat wiring guide from the web (on which no colours match my loom) and it shows a black wire from ecu pin 61 that goes where? Yep the immobiliser.

Yay!

Sausages - may need that front cross member back sooner than I thought!
              Last edited by regcheeseman; 23 June 2017, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Well done Reg, looks like you're starting to get there...
                With regards to the immobiliser pick up ring, I've read that the range of its pick up is quite precise - apparently putting the key in the middle of the pick up ring is no good, it has to be replicated like original.
                On mine the golf pick up ring fits over the ignition barrel, and clips into place, but probably 10mm further on than the original. I think therefore that the chip in the key will need to the same distance closer than its normal position.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
                '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Diagnostics drive me insane and I can offer no practical advice but I'm willing you on! Sounds like your on the right track and damn close though[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                    Well done Reg, looks like you're starting to get there...
                    With regards to the immobiliser pick up ring, I've read that the range of its pick up is quite precise - apparently putting the key in the middle of the pick up ring is no good, it has to be replicated like original.
                    On mine the golf pick up ring fits over the ignition barrel, and clips into place, but probably 10mm further on than the original. I think therefore that the chip in the key will need to the same distance closer than its normal position.
                    Yes they can be sensitive - I think I've tried every possible key position.

Re my excitement late last night, I may have been a bit premature (ask my missus - it's the only race I always win) with my pin 61 theory. Pin 61 is already connected to the immo box, to the green/red wire which is the K line and joined to grey/white on the diag plug - and I have comms so that must be ok?

So what is this K line wire coming out of my immo box doing?

Apparently you can short w line and K line to achieve something with an immo emulator but that's not gonna help me?

Anyone know what the W line does?

Can you achieve comms with the ECU via W line???

Comment

• No dice with the wiring, it was right all along. Still have an immobiliser cutting out the engine.

Wasted a whole afternoon trying to sort it.

All the software I downloaded wont help either.

I wondered if the transponder ring was faulty so I took the one out of my van, but before I did that I thought I'd try the software on my van; took about 2 minutes to delete and reinstate the immo.

Swapping the transponder to the suasage van didn't help either - the immo diagnostics still reports a weak signal.

I gave up and fitted the airbox.

Then I tried he fifth gear swap - couldn't hold the gears well enough to undo them so gave up on that job as well.

Had to start a job I've been putting off because it's my most hated job on vehicles - driveshafts and CV fitting.

The first shaft had burst the grease pack inside the box and it was everywhere.

Eventually got it fitted but it was a complete twat because of daves fucking stupid lowered damper setup.

The second shaft had broken the retaining cable tie and the CV had fallen apart - took about 40 mins to strip the CV and get it back together.

Offered the shaft up to find the bolts wouldn't fit through the housing because it was assembled wrong.

Wrestled the shaft back in again and the shaft pushed out of the cv and the bearings fell on the floor

Had to clean all the grease back off, clean everything off and strip and rebuild the CV again

Finally got it fitted.

Dave - you got the clutch still, I need something to lock the spare gearbox so I can undo the fifth gear cluster.

Comment

• Yarp, will drop it over tomorrow
                        Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Look at the measure blocks for the immobiliser, that will tell you if it can read the key and if it's authorised.

Comment

• Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                            Look at the measure blocks for the immobiliser, that will tell you if it can read the key and if it's authorised.
                            Already done so in previous post

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 6H0 953 257 A
                            Component and/or Version: IMMO VWZ3Z0W9230983 V68
                            Software Coding: 09600
                            Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
                            3 Faults Found:
                            01128 - Immobilizer Pickup Coil (D2)
                            35-10 - - - Intermittent
                            01176 - Key
                            07-00 - Signal to Low
                            01176 - Key

Tried again after I fitted the different transponder and got two faults

01176 - Key
                            07-00 - Signal to Low
                            01176 - Key
                            Clear the codes and they dont come back, go back to main diagnostics and still have "engine blocked by immobiliser" - and it starts and cuts out as before.

Tried the key again in eleventy million different positions, even popped half the key case off to see if that helped.

nope.

Am wondering now if there's an issue with the supply to the immo box - there are two feeds I need to check, one from G2 - 4 and one from E4, just popped out to the garage and looked - the red feed wire from E4 is a bit suspicious, the insulation is swollen and bubbled as though it's got hot at some point?

I'll be in there with my meter tomorrow and probably replace the wire regardless

Dave - just missed your call earlier, was wiping the cv grease of my hands before picking up the phone, probably good job I didn't pick up as you'd have received a stream of expletives! even more than usual.

Comment

• Still got my wiring to do, so I'm watching this with a very keen interest...

Air-box sorted (although eBay clown sent me the wrong size elbow...).

With regards to the pick up ring, I assumed they had to be matched - key/ring/box/ECU? So swapping to yours wouldn't work anyway... I may be wrong though.

Fingers crossed Reg! 🤞

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
                              '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Reg those are the fault codes above not the measure blocks. Measure blocks is live data that the components are seeing. Fault codes are historical stored issues.

Measure blocks tells you useful things, like weather it can read the key and if that key is authorised to run the engine:
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	261300
                                Last edited by d-9; 24 June 2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X