Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed ASAP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by S49 View Post
    yep drop us loads of photos. Isnt the 2.4 a different gearbox? Reg, Rob? Did you get engine and box from Essex?
    General rule cars & vans below 100bhp ran VAGs own derived 02A/02B gearboxes. Above 100bhp were Quaife supplied with higher ratings.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by S49 View Post
      yep drop us loads of photos. Isnt the 2.4 a different gearbox? Reg, Rob? Did you get engine and box from Essex?
      Yes the box and engine came together


      Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

      Comment


      • #18
        Well thats a help as I didn't think you could inter change them. Not much electric to sort so if the engine and box are in it shouldn't be that much left to do.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by S49 View Post
          Well thats a help as I didn't think you could inter change them. Not much electric to sort so if the engine and box are in it shouldn't be that much left to do.
          I think it’s just the hoses and a few other bits to finish


          Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

          Comment


          • #20
            Have you considered finishing the job yourself? These really are brilliant motors to learn on and especially that engine with it being such a simple and basic design. You’ll get plenty of help on here with anything you’re unsure of. Yeah it’ll take a bit of time and research before you get going but the bulk of the work is done really and the satisfaction you’ll get, not to mention practical skills will be unparalleled. Most importantly it’ll help you at the roadside in future [emoji23]


            Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            #vanlife

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by TommyP View Post
              Have you considered finishing the job yourself? These really are brilliant motors to learn on and especially that engine with it being such a simple and basic design. You’ll get plenty of help on here with anything you’re unsure of. Yeah it’ll take a bit of time and research before you get going but the bulk of the work is done really and the satisfaction you’ll get, not to mention practical skills will be unparalleled. Most importantly it’ll help you at the roadside in future [emoji23]


              Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
              Not mechanical minded enough to complete this, I’ve been looking for a T4 Haynes manual but can’t find one anywhere


              Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

              Comment


              • #22
                My Brooklands manual seems okay for the few times I've had to refer to it. There are different issues that cover different years and engines but they can all be picked up cheap on eBay.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG1716A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	267845

                It's a pretty daunting job if you've never done anything like it before but as said they're simple machines and they'll be loads of help on here for you. I can't think of any special tools you'd need just a decent selection of sockets, spanners and some spline bits for the driveshaft to gearbox bolts. Then jacks, axles stands and maybe an engine crane which can be hired out.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Laz View Post
                  My Brooklands manual seems okay for the few times I've had to refer to it. There are different issues that cover different years and engines but they can all be picked up cheap on eBay.

                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]13185[/ATTACH]

                  It's a pretty daunting job if you've never done anything like it before but as said they're simple machines and they'll be loads of help on here for you. I can't think of any special tools you'd need just a decent selection of sockets, spanners and some spline bits for the driveshaft to gearbox bolts. Then jacks, axles stands and maybe an engine crane which can be hired out.
                  I’ll have a look for one of those manuals. Just so fed up that I wanted my van for so many festivals, and not had it on the road it’s so down heartening


                  Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Laz View Post
                    My Brooklands manual seems okay for the few times I've had to refer to it. There are different issues that cover different years and engines but they can all be picked up cheap on eBay.

                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]13185[/ATTACH]

                    It's a pretty daunting job if you've never done anything like it before but as said they're simple machines and they'll be loads of help on here for you. I can't think of any special tools you'd need just a decent selection of sockets, spanners and some spline bits for the driveshaft to gearbox bolts. Then jacks, axles stands and maybe an engine crane which can be hired out.
                    From what I read Laz, I think the 1.9td is in already, it’s just hoses and a few wires that’s left, along with the front end bits etc.

                    I know it’s easy for us that know a little bit, or a lot whatever it may be about working motors, to say how easy the job is but a huge amount of the hard stuff is done.

                    eBay is a good bet for a Haynes manual, which is a great start to getting your head around the job but you’ll need more assistance which is hopefully where we can step in. We can post pics of our 1.9’s and explain so it should be very straight forward.

                    Hell, you may even enjoy doing it! As said tho, some pics would be ideal right about now.....


                    Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                    #vanlife

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Dog71 View Post
                      I’ll have a look for one of those manuals. Just so fed up that I wanted my van for so many festivals, and not had it on the road it’s so down heartening


                      Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                      I’ve just moved house and I am sure I’ve got 2 Haynes books , I will try an find them and you can have one .... but give me a day or so as there’s shite everywhere here 🤯


                      Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by spedwing View Post
                        I’ve just moved house and I am sure I’ve got 2 Haynes books , I will try an find them and you can have one .... but give me a day or so as there’s shite everywhere here 🤯


                        Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        That would be great, much appreciated


                        Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I would have done the whole job for £350, couple of 3 days work.

                          Shame you are not closer - good luck.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            I would have done the whole job for £350, couple of 3 days work.

                            Shame you are not closer - good luck.
                            I would have snatched ur hand off at that price, gutted you ain’t closer


                            Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Dog71 View Post
                              I would have snatched ur hand off at that price, gutted you ain’t closer


                              Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                              Would it not be cheaper to "recover" your van to Regs all goes well it would only be a one way journey

                              Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by The-Fozzer View Post
                                Would it not be cheaper to "recover" your van to Regs all goes well it would only be a one way journey

                                Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
                                Prob not, having it recovered to north Devon from Nottinghamshire is gonna cost a fortune, so trying to get it repaired around this area
                                But thanks for the suggestion


                                Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X