No announcement yet.

Another New Guy saying Helllo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my inverter and 240v socket on same ground as 12v . But i don't have hook up.
    No bloody glue what's right.
    It said on the inverter " must been earthed"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by chrisT4 View Post
      I don’t see a problem with my set up on any of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thats right , although the cable length is new to me. Its designed to protect the chassis from becoming mains live but where does the positive 240v/16A go if it does? To ...... the negative 12vdc batteries direct????
      Last edited by Activ8; 14 June 2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Would it not be better to have an earthed cabled peg in the ground outside and underneath the van.

So if you're unfortunate with a lightning strike at the top of your van or 8m tethered flag pole it goes to Earth rather than the vans electrics? On a caravan or motorhome with stabiliser legs they have direct contact....

I'm asking the question as it's unclear to me too.

Comment

I thought u safe in a car at lightening?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
            I thought u safe in a car at lightening?

The van or car with a solid roof acts like a Faraday cage with some of the current travelling around the outside.
            A portion of the current flows through the vehicle's electrical systems as well as causing internal damage to electronic systems and components.
            Also any metal appendages including the stereo, amp, cell phone chargers, GPS units as well as car door handles, foot pedals, the steering column and the steering wheel!

Comment

Plus , if you happen to be touching any metalwork you'll also be affected.

Comment

Plus it can damage the exterior paintwork as it arcs around the body, and don't forget the airbags may also go off!!

Comment

Crikey, well in all my years I’ve actually never ever seen or heated if that happen. What does happen every day though is a breaker trips out in milliseconds when an earth leakage is felt and that’s pretty much it... if your van is actually struck by lightning then your electrics will fry but if you your consumer unit suffers an earth leak then it will simply trip out. [emoji1787]. 6mm csa is loads and just look for all the coach built earth spikes out there... sure we used them in the army but really? [emoji1787].

Comment

Welcome, looks like a good starting point

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Crikey, well in all my years I’ve actually never ever seen or heated if that happen. What does happen every day though is a breaker trips out in milliseconds when an earth leakage is felt and that’s pretty much it... if your van is actually struck by lightning then your electrics will fry but if you your consumer unit suffers an earth leak then it will simply trip out. [emoji1787]. 6mm csa is loads and just look for all the coach built earth spikes out there... sure we used them in the army but really? [emoji1787].

Do you still get a shock at home although its Earthed and the ring main breaker trips?

So in the van where does that current go in those milliseconds before it trips considering its Earthed to the chassis?

Comment

In all honestly not properly read the above as far as lighting goes (partly cos I am a little pissed and absolutely knackered, but if lightning strikes a vehicle it wouldnt
                        matter that it has legs or nothing touching the ground or not. The lighting has traveled from way way up above another 6" ain't going to bother it.
                        More modern vehicles are built to create a faraday cage older ones it is a by product of the structure of the vehicle.

But as with a house if there is a lighting strike any conductors will conduct (possiblity of burning out) and anything that can blow will blow whether that be the stereo or a fuse.

I have seen houses that have been hit by lightening that have come off unscathed and conversely I have seen houses that have been blown to bits, nothing notable between the 2.
                        Cars/Van's will only get hit in extreme circs
                        But it does happen. Trick will.be if it happens touch nothing metal until you stop feeling either heat or hearing cracking/banging.

JCB make their diggers/excavators so that if they hit a electricity main or are struck by anything over head power line and in theory lightning, provided the paint is not already breached (scratched) the driver can get out and off safely and onto the ground...
                        I believe that more modern JCBs are safe even with scratches.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

At a local show about ten years ago a bloke driving a tractor with a teleporter type thing got it tangled in overhead cables. Was told to sit tight but tried to jump clear, when he hit the ground about ten feet from it he was fried to a crisp, and the medics couldn't touch him as he was charged up like a capacitor. Not the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            Do you still get a shock at home although its Earthed and the ring main breaker trips?

So in the van where does that current go in those milliseconds before it trips considering its Earthed to the chassis?
                            So let’s stop making a catastrophe out of this. Should your 240 suffer an earth leak it will go to earth and the consumer unit will trip, your ecu will be absolutely fine as it is also neg earth.
                            Are you really saying you pop an earth spike out when you pitch up? I’ve never seen any one do it.., I used to sleep in a 32 tonne steel warrior or my old 432 most nights and never got struck by lightning. The modern RCD is designed to trip in milliseconds and no you won’t feel a jolt because all electricity wants to do is go to ground... now if you touch the terminals then that’s another issue, equally though you will only get a jolt then the breaker will pop.
                            if you were struck by lightning then all bets are off but I’d love to hear your day by day defence against this and the equally likely meteorite strike?

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              At a local show about ten years ago a bloke driving a tractor with a teleporter type thing got it tangled in overhead cables. Was told to sit tight but tried to jump clear, when he hit the ground about ten feet from it he was fried to a crisp, and the medics couldn't touch him as he was charged up like a capacitor. Not the best way to go.
                              So I’m an Engineer Surveyor and if you are operating any plant that touches overhead power you should stay in the machine and move the boom away from the lines. If you get out you will simply earth the current and your natural resistance will cause you to cook .. telescopic handlers are not earthed.

Comment

So let’s stop making a catastrophe out of this. Should your 240 suffer an earth leak it will go to earth and the consumer unit will trip, your ecu will be absolutely fine as it is also neg earth.
                                I believe I was asking a reasonable question Chris? You have a 12vdc system grounding a 240vac system in the event of the van chassis becoming mains live.
                                Are you really saying you pop an earth spike out when you pitch up?
                                No, I asked the question - whether an Earthing spike would protect the vans electrical systems better.
                                if you were struck by lightning then all bets are off but I’d love to hear your day by day defence against this and the equally likely meteorite strike?
                                I wasnt asking any questions about the probability of either a lightening or meteor strike, neither was I worried about such events occurring.

Comment

Working...
                                X