Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish New Boy......well OAP lol

Hi all

Well I just bought a T4 kind of unintentionally. I drove plenty of vans at work, and always loved them (even the old skinny Sherpas lol). I did own a T5.1 for a few years whilst we had our own business but sold that when we sold the business. VW wise I have had a couple of Passat Estates, Golf Estate and a Seat Leon. Generally I am however a Vauxhall man with countless models over the years. Self taught in mechanics over the years I am finding difficulty with some of the modern stuff that needs plugged in to computers etc. My current cars are 2015 Insignia 2.0CDTi (daily), 1986 Mk2 Cavalier Cabriolet (summer fun), 1991 3 door Nova (you think T4s need a lot of welding lol) and a 2010 Corsa D (short term project - 2 owners 57k needs a head gasket and MoT)

Anyway

My son bought a T4 a couple of months back and stuck her into a local garage and got a few plates welded in plus some brake pipes to get her through the MoT. Prior to buying it we had many discussions about what he was going for and what to check etc. He phoned me one day a fortnight ago to tell me about a 1996 T4 for sale near me needing some welding and brake work for its MoT. The price had been reduced from £2500 to £1500 - the owners were getting ready to move to Ireland - not just travelling there! I told him it was already on my watch list but just over my pocket money range until the Corsa got fixed and sold. I got home and it was reduced again to £1000 so I had to make contact. Alas the starter had given up now. I went along and saw the welding required and that whilst many brake pipes had been replaced a couple hadn't - I never understand this as you are doing a full bleed anyway.

Like he said non starter however my experience and gut said it was OK and offered £750 as a non runner with no MoT which he eventually agreed to. I got her transported home and bridged the solenoid connection on the starter but it needed a gentle tap with the persuader also (hammer) and she sprang into life. There is no power going to the red/black cable at the solenoid so I'm not sure for now if there is a break in the wire or if the ignition switch is faulty (both common from what I have read) so I may opt for a separate starter switch - is that going retro or going modern? New starter arrived today which will let me move her about the driveway.

Additional work I have identified is new internal and external handles on the passenger door and the rollers on the side door (may look for a replacement door as it is quite crusty at the bottom). I think the alternator may also need done but that is fairly straight forward. Rear arches are quite scruffy too.

So I'm looking forward to getting her safe and legal on the road then decide how far I take her.

Based in Sanquhar (on A76 between Dumfries and Kilmarnock) so if you see us about give us a wave.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Couple of pics now she is home.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

You’ve done alright there dude

Comment

Welcome aboard mate.

That looks tidy for £750 that. A mega bargain I’d say.

Which engine is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        #vanlife

Comment

Ah be ya and a warm welcome from the shire. I bang on about these things being worth two to three grand tops, partly in jest mind but I think you have a bargain there mate. Start a build thread so we can follow your progress.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
            Enjoy the journey .... From a £750 bargain to Slim Jims £20k - what a van!

Corsadad, spotted you in the New Year browsing but thought it was Reg in Devon who also adores 3 strokes.

Tons of help on here, fire away !

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                Welcome aboard.
                Enjoy the journey .... From a £750 bargain to Slim Jims £20k - what a van!

Corsadad, spotted you in the New Year browsing but thought it was Reg in Devon who also adores 3 strokes.

Tons of help on here, fire away !
                Yes, I thought the same.

Comment

Welcome Corsadad. There's a few of us in Scotland but we're scattered all over the place.

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

Welcome, and good to hear that there's another OAP on here!

Indian Blue- truly my favourite colour. You'll discover over time that you have fallen on your feet with having Barn Doors at the rear, so that's a grand start.

Comment

Isn't that Techno Blue?

Comment

if so that's a new one for me - looks good all the same.

Is that a metallic?

Comment

She was painted two owners ago apparently. The owner had a mate who worked in Mercedes Body Shop and painted this in a Mercedes Blue - NFD so will need a bit more research to get the correct shade.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            ...... thought it was Reg in Devon who also adores 3 strokes.
                            Despite being over 164 years old and counting, I still prefer more than 3

Last edited by Activ8; 9 February 2023, 08:56 PM.

Comment

^^ vinegar stroke

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X