Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving a T4 from being scrapped, what could go wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of that could be surface rust, i have seen advisories for corrosion on the underside of a bumper bar!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Welcome to the site buddy, I know people have said it but at £250 you cant go wrong.

Comment

Right I have agreed to buy it! I am now looking at my Golf I said I'd have to sell and wondering whether I should break it and put its AHU TDi motor in the T4.. It does make sense to hang on to it in case the T4s smoking and rattling is something more serious than the simple timing/injector problems I'm hoping for.

In order;

Yes it's not too bad, I think the tester was firm but fair. Not like my Golf when I bought it as a test failure; Offside Rear passengers seat insecure (6.2.A.1), yeah the fabric at the front of the squab had come unclipped... Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6), that would be a rusty wheel arch, and on it went..

It's near Tavistock.

There is surface rust, in fact there are whole patches of missing paint topside. Unfortunately I've found holes everywhere the fail sheet mentions excessive corrosion.

Thanks. Yeah I think for my purposes it'll be a good buy. If I wanted to end up with a smart looking van then not so much.

Comment

Worth 250 all day long. Theres an 03 plate 2.5tdi in a breakers by me that has to be broken up and they are angling for 500 to a grand as a job lot in bits.

Comment

All I can say is you will never stop the journey with your T4, there is always something to do or a new mod to make. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics when you start.

Comment

..........what could go wrong? Nothing worst case you'd make the 250 out of the bits. Much better to save a T4 tho' however rough. Would love a £250 t4 to play with. If you want inspiration have a look at the "One day i'll have a camper" thread.
              Last edited by S49; 12 March 2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Go for it....

Comment

Turns out I’ve spent £600 on a van that needs saved...so you have a bargain at 250 in my books...

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by mick1070 View Post
                    All I can say is you will never stop the journey with your T4, there is always something to do or a new mod to make. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics when you start.
                    I've had mine since 2004, always thinking of more improvements to make. They just evolve as time goes on

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I'll be picking it up soon. Plans are to get it running as well as possible, do what needs doing for the test and just use it. I'm sure it won't take long to find plenty more to do to it, I'm a bit anal about suspension for example.

It will be a little while til I get to start work on it though. I have one car to repair and sell (anyone want a mk3 Golf?) and my current car needs a fair bit of work for the MOT, which is less than a fortnight away..

Comment

Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                        I've had mine since 2004, always thinking of more improvements to make. They just evolve as time goes on

I couldn't agree more they are a journey more than a project. They can almost take over your life.

Comment

Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post

I couldn't agree more they are a journey more than a project. They can almost take over your life.

Comment

I'm pretty passionate about cars but have so far seen this new van as just a tool, a workhorse as I've referred to it as. Buuut.. yes I think it will change things more than just a car-but-bigger should do. It will be a home for the tools and kit etc. that go with mountain bikes. It'll be a part time home for my bikes, dog, chainsaws (and me if I really test the other half's patience..) Seriously though, while I can't see me doing any sort of camper/day van type thing with it I can see it making more adventures happening more often.

Originally posted by mick1070 View Post
                            They can almost take over your life.
                            I'm already thinking about breaking my Golf for its AHU motor and 5th gear..
                            Last edited by Laz; 17 March 2018, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laz View Post
                              I'm pretty passionate about cars but have so far seen this new van as just a tool, a workhorse as I've referred to it as. Buuut.. yes I think it will change things more than just a car-but-bigger should do. It will be a home for the tools and kit etc. that go with mountain bikes. It'll be a part time home for my bikes, dog, chainsaws (and me if I really test the other half's patience..) Seriously though, while I can't see me doing any sort of camper/day van type thing with it I can see it making more adventures happening more often.

HAHAHAHA - Heard this time and time again.

Try telling Dave Sausages about it just being and old work van and not being interested in the VW scene or any of that old rubbish. He's ditched the bike shows and the folk festivals and gone full blown scene whore and now trailers his van to shows.

Originally posted by Laz View Post
                              I'm already thinking about breaking my Golf for its AHU motor and 5th gear..
                              And so it begins.....

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                and now trailers his van to shows.
                                Words fail me..

I've had the Corrado for over a decade now and have never taken it to a show, it's not got mad lows and the wheels are a normal colour so I like to think I'm immune, we'll see.

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                And so it begins.....
                                It may well do. If the van ran perfectly and the Golf wasn't sat there with a healthy engine but no MOT I wouldn't consider it but, well, you know..

Comment

Working...
                                X