Brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake fluid

I'm planning to renew some ropey looking brake pipes.....bought goodridge hoses and nickel pipe to make main pipes
    How much fluid will I need to do the job making allowance for bleeding the system

Also is one fluid better than another...see a lot of bumf on DOT 5.1 being better but compatible with DOT 4

Comment

Couple a litres to allow for bleeding.

Comment

Never had an issue with DOT 4. Whilst you’re there, bleed the lot. Start from the one furthest from the master cylinder.

People often overlook brake fluid changes. The fluid turns to shit after a whilst and ends up oxygenated which leaves the brakes feeling crap. New fluid can hugely improve braking.

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

Change every 2 years especially if low mileage, it sups up moisture.

Comment

Isn't the moisture content / brake fluid test part of the MOT process these days? Might be just a visual look at the reservoir though? Definately part of a service.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Not as yet, they've talked about it for about 20 years. Tip. If its not straw coloured changed it.

Comment

Many years ago when I assisted in mots we often checked the brake fluid.
                But that was because the company was after work

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

Its a good check never-the-less, I'd be happy to receive that sort of info from a garage.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Its amazing how many came back with too much moisture!!!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

For the effort and time involved its worth changing every time the wheels come off to inspect the brake pads.

Comment

Cheers lads...never felt the brakes on my van were good
                        I changed disks, pads and a some pipes a couple of years ago but still crap braking....never had any great confidence in them especially when loaded for a 2 week expedition
                        Went for Goodridge hoses as I've always used them on my bikes...some people say overpriced label snobbery but I rate them
                        A mate of mine recommended TRW pads....also overpriced but if they work well they'll be worth it
                        Full fluid change and hopefully she'll be stopping well....thinking of asking MOT garage to do a brake test before and after

Comment

Originally posted by Davieb View Post
                          Cheers lads...never felt the brakes on my van were good
                          I changed disks, pads and a some pipes a couple of years ago but still crap braking....never had any great confidence in them especially when loaded for a 2 week expedition
                          Went for Goodridge hoses as I've always used them on my bikes...some people say overpriced label snobbery but I rate them
                          A mate of mine recommended TRW pads....also overpriced but if they work well they'll be worth it
                          Full fluid change and hopefully she'll be stopping well....thinking of asking MOT garage to do a brake test before and after
                          I actually find T4 brakes to be quite good really. Well servo assisted and a good feel as well as stopping power, even when loaded. I swapped my works vans for bigger vented discs but I doubt I’ll bother on the camper as they’re pretty good.

Not having ABS is the issue. Especially when some twat pulls out on you from a junction when you’ve got a heavy trailer on the back...... my leg was going like a road hammer on the pedal. Hahaha

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

I'd agree, T4 brakes pretty good. Put the vented TDI brakes on the white one, feel good but I suspect its the fact that the disc's and pads are new and the fluid has been changed as opposed to the vented being that much better. I do like the old fashioned solid discs. Service wise if you remove pads,clean,lub and descale the disc edges once a year they will last for yonks.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              I'd agree, T4 brakes pretty good. Put the vented TDI brakes on the white one, feel good but I suspect its the fact that the disc's and pads are new and the fluid has been changed as opposed to the vented being that much better. I do like the old fashioned solid discs. Service wise if you remove pads,clean,lub and descale the disc edges once a year they will last for yonks.
                              I didn’t notice much difference when I fitted the vented discs other than no fading when hauling ass down a hill with a loaded trailer.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                              X