No announcement yet.

Old Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sizes are the turbine and compressor Si? You could stick a much larger compressor wheel on up to 60mm/44.5mm from the GT2560...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Going to stick with standard for now. Going to start collecting a few bits and bobs to play with.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Going to stick with standard for now. Going to start collecting a few bits and bobs to play with.
        I didn't realise that Garret compressor wheel shaft sizes are all the same - 5mm - upto the GT2560 and a 60mm compressor. Handy to know if you've access to lots of scrap cars!

Comment

• There's always more.......Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0414.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	264257 finally got round to junking all the EGR as you can see the plates in the kit fit the exhaust manifold and the EGR itself(both the same size) and not the intake elbow. Drawn round the gasket off the elbow with an engraving tool and will cut and drill at work Monday. Then we'll have a little ceremony of dropping the valve in the bin.
          Last edited by S49; 14 July 2018, 11:48 AM. Reason: More terrible spelling, blame my 70's state education.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            I didn't realise that Garret compressor wheel shaft sizes are all the same - 5mm - upto the GT2560 and a 60mm compressor. Handy to know if you've access to lots of scrap cars!

That's it, kind of regret letting the PD and citreon turbos go now. There'll be more...... i'll keep all the ones I get now and see what can be "mixed and matched"

Comment

That's it, kind of regret letting the PD and citreon turbos go now. There'll be more...... i'll keep all the ones I get now and see what can be "mixed and matched"
              A lesson learned is s lesson remembered!

Comment

Some of the bearings are different, theres a straight shaft and slender shaft what ever that means. But I think the part of the shaft the turbine thing goes on are the same by the looks of it. My shaft wouldnt go in the bearings of the first kit so perhaps I have a straight not slender shaft?........almost in the sewer.

Comment

Some of the bearings are different, theres a straight shaft and slender shaft what ever that means. But I think the part of the shaft the turbine thing goes on are the same by the looks of it. My shaft wouldnt go in the bearings of the first kit so perhaps I have a straight not slender shaft?........almost in the sewer.
                  Could of been for the TB0254? Shaft is 4.75mm if my memories working today!

Comment

• Sat in bed last night got to thinking there's enough room to bolt the bearing housing back on with the manifold in situ. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0416.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	264268 So after a run to the tip and a cuppa I bolted the manifold back on my old friend. Made sure it was tight this time. One thing less to do in the week now. May go to the coast and try my wet suit. But its just not the same in the polo. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0417.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	264269

Comment

• As you're refurbing this yourself Si I'd suggest rebuilding it completely off the van 1st. Test the clearances and possibly run it up quickly on the bench for vibration with a little oil.

Comment

• I did wonder about that. Mind when I did the one on the Volvo 940 I didn't spin it up first apart from by hand and all went well just sort of following the same path really.

Comment

As you're refurbing this yourself Si I'd suggest rebuilding it completely off the van 1st. Test the clearances and possibly run it up quickly on the bench for vibration with a little oil.

And prime the turbo first with some oil , but I’m sure you know that Si

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                            And prime the turbo first with some oil , but I’m sure you know that Si
                            The bearing chamber will be filled with oil no worries.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0421.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	264276Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0422.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	264277Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0423.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	264278Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0425.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	264279Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0429.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	264280Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0430.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	264281Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0432.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	264282Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0434.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	264283 Then a run up the road and normal service has been resumed.

Comment

• Looks like a better bearing set than the original Si? A full 360. Great job mate. Did you mark the shaft and compressor wheel up on the strip down? Time for more fuel & boost.... [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                                X