My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    That van is tidy,....Mikaors not holding the joiner?
    Any damage done...
    Have you been playing Reg?
    Cheers, I'm very proud of how it looks.

The join is on a curved section of pipework, I really need to make single piece intercooler pipes - but then I also want to relocate the turbo and if I'm doing that - why not get a new turbo..... just about to push the 'buy' button on this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323170463718

Any damage done? Nothing obvious apart from smog levels in mid devon hitting an unprecedented new high.

I've not been playing at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      The join is on a curved section of pipework, I really need to make single piece intercooler pipes -
      Not a problem for a man with your skills.
      Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      ...but then I also want to relocate the turbo and if I'm doing that - why not get a new turbo..... just about to push the 'buy' button on this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323170463718
      Yep theres a lot of these turbos out there, I'm not sure its the right choice for our T4's.
      Yep its a good size on paper and will physically make the hp but I'm betting its too high in the rev range for the van and it'll be slow getting there.
      Might not be the type of drive you want?
      God knows what its compressor map looks like?

Comment

Yep theres a lot of these turbos out there, I'm not sure its the right choice for our T4's.
        Yep its a good size on paper and will physically make the hp but I'm betting its too high in the rev range for the van and it'll be slow getting there.
        Might not be the type of drive you want?
        God knows what its compressor map looks like?
        Any ideas for what might be more suitable, ideally I want a new unit or reconditioned to avoid any unknowns due to wear.

I fancy a chinesium unit for two reasons

a - to support the underdog and prove that they do work

b- because I'm a cheapskate.

Comment

Any ideas for what might be more suitable, ideally I want a new unit or reconditioned to avoid any unknowns due to wear.
          I fancy a chinesium unit for two reasons

a - to support the underdog and prove that they do work

b- because I'm a cheapskate.
          There are a lot more unknowns in the way it'll perform tbh. Understand the wear and tear, cost etc., but thats just the front end.
          Mapping it will be a ball ache as theres no info to plot against, so its a guess to extract the performance.

I've asked this a couple of times but what sort of hp/torque do you want to make?
          Let me try and find a similar compressor map before you buy.
          For 280bhp you'll need 32psi minimum so theres a little headwork and associated costs, then the gear box etc...
          For 200bhp we can do it with what we have already.

Comment

• I looked at the official & genuine T04E compressor maps (the Chinesium stuff could be anywhere tbh) but reckon you need something with a turbine AR of 0.42 rather than 0.55 (which will give you terrible turbo lag) then go wild at 4+k, and a compressor AR of 0.40 with a T3 flange. might be one or two on the bay but not looked. Read some of the specs and they're implying to run them at a max of 21psi (2.5bar) with a warning max at 30psi. The original TD04 with the same spec would just be getting going at these boost rates - which speaks volumes to me about the Chinese unit.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

There are a lot more unknowns in the way it'll perform tbh. Understand the wear and tear, cost etc., but thats just the front end.
              Mapping it will be a ball ache as theres no info to plot against, so its a guess to extract the performance.

I've asked this a couple of times but what sort of hp/torque do you want to make?
              Let me try and find a similar compressor map before you buy.
              For 280bhp you'll need 32psi minimum so theres a little headwork and associated costs, then the gear box etc...
              For 200bhp we can do it with what we have already.
              I want 300hp

What headwork were you thinking of?

Do you know of a source for ARP bolts - I used some for a ford on my 1.9.

I cant do 200 bhp on what I have already - the wastegate at the very least is ruined.

What about a K24 or should I go vnt?

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              I looked at the official & genuine T04E compressor maps (the Chinesium stuff could be anywhere tbh) but reckon you need something with a turbine AR of 0.42 rather than 0.55 (which will give you terrible turbo lag) then go wild at 4+k, and a compressor AR of 0.40 with a T3 flange. might be one or two on the bay but not looked. Read some of the specs and they're implying to run them at a max of 21psi (2.5bar) with a warning max at 30psi. The original TD04 with the same spec would just be getting going at these boost rates - which speaks volumes to me about the Chinese unit.

Thought crossed my mind as well, I did some reading and 4K is where it starts working and that low max boost figure set alarm bells.

Compressor AR of 0.4? seems low?

How do you match the AR to an engine/power desires? I've a four stroke tuning book in the loft by graham bell but it's thin on the ground with anything related to forced induction.

Comment

I want 300hp

What headwork were you thinking of?

Do you know of a source for ARP bolts - I used some for a ford on my 1.9.

I cant do 200 bhp on what I have already - the wastegate at the very least is ruined.

What about a K24 or should I go vnt?

Thought crossed my mind as well, I did some reading and 4K is where it starts working and that low max boost figure set alarm bells.

Compressor AR of 0.4? seems low?

How do you match the AR to an engine/power desires? I've a four stroke tuning book in the loft by graham bell but it's thin on the ground with anything related to forced induction.
                OK. 300 - Will work through the calcs.

Minimum headbolts but the headwork was a flip remark because it's what I thought was needed. It's the pathway that I've read for the last 10 years. Been mulling it over the last 24 hours and now I'm really not sure! I maxxed out the MAF last week (1489.3mg/s with a big bang like hitting a limiter but no limp, came off the revs and drove on - mapped to 1500mg/s so might need to extend all this) just running my K24 hybrid and 2.5bar MAP sensor which maxxed out the sensor at 2.570bar so until I do some new logs with the 3 bar sensor I'm not sure what airflow/boost are possible even on a fairly basic and "standard" head/DP setup. Shadowmaker only ran 2.8bar so I'm not far off albeit the K24 is outside of its peak efficiency.

Sorry no source for ARP bolts. I've stuck the shortened Golf Mk4 ARL bolts in, fraction of the cost & they're good for over 300bhp.

What's wrong with your Volvo wastegate?

I cannot recommend wastegate or VNT at the mo. My experiments with VNT were with older mapping plots and the higher fuelling choked the vanes as s daily driver The old skool stuff is potentially too laggy unless you go the Holset route. Again latest runs I'm getting 2.5bar at 2300rpm but there's more tweaking needed as I'd really want it at below 2k.

Ive a ton of plotted compressor maps. So it's simply x-referencing - in this case the TD04E's - for the sort of hp & revs we want.

Might swap out the T4 N75 and find something more modern or get back on the electronic actuation.

Comment

Sorry no source for ARP bolts. I've stuck the shortened Golf Mk4 ARL bolts in, fraction of the cost & they're good for over 300bhp.
                  Shortened? As in cut down or are there two (or more) lengths available as standard?

I'm guessing there are 12 bolts in a 2.5? Could you let me know the dimensions of the standard bolts - I'll find some ARPs

What's wrong with your Volvo wastegate?
                  It doesn't shut properly unless you force it shut - meaning that it leaks a bit until 3-4 psi are present to shut it which means it's a bit slow coming on boost and causes the limp mode.

Might swap out the T4 N75 and find something more modern or get back on the electronic actuation.
                  Turbo with an electronic actuator as standard and map the N75 output to suit?

Was thinking today about the amount of smoke I had when I lost boost - surely the smoke map should have picked up on the lack of boost and knocked the fuel IQ down? Can I put your map into titanium and play with it? I have tried winOLS in the past and found it more intuitive and got meaningful graphs immediately, putting my old map into titanium and the 'graphs' it 'finds' are absolute rubbish

Comment

• Finished fitting my towbar, all wired up fine except the brake and tail lights were swapped - I'm blaming an error on the VW wiring diagram. Wires swapped on the thoughtfully provided terminals on the back of the right rear light cluster and it's all sorted - not a nasty scotchlock in sight.

Break out the grinder and start chopping up bits of volvo

Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper small 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	264003

Much grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting later and it was time to glue it all together with tiger seal.

Name:	bumper small 2.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	264004

Taped and clamped into place

Name:	bumper small 3.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	264005

And lashings of expanding foam for good measure - you can see where the original mould worked very well when I couldn't get a set of polystyrene bumper inserts for sensible money.

Name:	bumper small 4.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	264006

Now comes lots of filling sanding and paint.....

Comment

Shortened.
                      Yes cut down.
                      I'm guessing there are 12 bolts in a 2.5? Could you let me know the dimensions of the standard bolts - I'll find some ARPs.
                      M12x115mm x Qty12 pn# 068 103 384A
                      It doesn't shut properly unless you force it shut - meaning that it leaks a bit until 3-4 psi are present to shut it which means it's a bit slow coming on boost and causes the limp mode.
                      Preload spring is 9-10psi is it not?
                      Turbo with an electronic actuator as standard and map the N75 output to suit?
                      Yes
                      Was thinking today about the amount of smoke I had when I lost boost - surely the smoke map should have picked up on the lack of boost and knocked the fuel IQ down?
                      No the fuel is mapped against the MAF airflow not the MAP boost pressure.
                      I have tried winOLS in the past and found it more intuitive and got meaningful graphs
                      Will you be playing with the map solely for your own purposes? Use WinOLS. Being honest I'm not comfortable with it but I understand.

Last edited by Activ8; 3 June 2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Finished fitting my towbar, all wired up fine except the brake and tail lights were swapped - I'm blaming an error on the VW wiring diagram. Wires swapped on the thoughtfully provided terminals on the back of the right rear light cluster and it's all sorted - not a nasty scotchlock in sight.

Break out the grinder and start chopping up bits of volvo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9312[/ATTACH]

Much grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting, marking, grinding, test fitting later and it was time to glue it all together with tiger seal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9313[/ATTACH]

Taped and clamped into place

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9314[/ATTACH]

And lashings of expanding foam for good measure - you can see where the original mould worked very well when I couldn't get a set of polystyrene bumper inserts for sensible money.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9315[/ATTACH]

Now comes lots of filling sanding and paint.....
                        That rear diffuser looks real good Reg. Nice find. Twin exit pipes to follow....

Comment

That rear diffuser looks real good Reg. Nice find. Twin exit pipes to follow....

Not so sure myself - I wanted it a little lower on the bumper but when it was taped up to hold it tight in place it also slipped up a touch - but I have a plan.

Yes - twin exit pipes also on the bench......

Comment

No the fuel is mapped against the MAF airflow not the MAP boost pressure.
                            I know far less than you about this but I'm pretty sure the airflow will be proportional to the boost at x revs

If you suddenly loose boost then the airflow will drop.......oh hang on......brain fart....... the turbo IS making boost (and leaking it all away) and the MAF still sees that airflow even if the engine doesn't.

Doh!!!!

So..... could I add a solenoid to dump all boost pressure and roll coal. Purely for my own entertainment of course and only used for off road demonstrations and not for smogging lycra clad twats. ever.

Will you be playing with the map solely for your own purposes? Use WinOLS. Being honest I'm not comfortable with it but I understand.
                            I wont then, I'll look at my original maps instead

Comment

Not so sure myself - I wanted it a little lower on the bumper but when it was taped up to hold it tight in place it also slipped up a touch - but I have a plan.

Yes - twin exit pipes also on the bench......
                              Spookily ....Had a tidy up in the garage this afternoon and pulled out a spare rear bumper to put it in the sun to straighten it up before having a play along the same lines with some other spares I have.

Found 11 2.5tdi pumps! & 3 complete cylinder heads...

Comment

• The Golf Mk4 ARL head bolts are M12 x 166 pn# 038 103 384C these are about £3 each.

Comment

Working...
                                X