• Show
Clear All

• Not sure what this really means...

Click image for larger version

Name:	26 jan log image.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	263483

Where do you see what fuel is being injected - I just see proposed values?

Group 8 show drivers wish which is effectively how much I'm asking for with throttle pedal?

Then the torque and smoke limitation are two values generated by the map to restrict the torque (saving clutch and gearbox) and to limit smoke based on the air available?

Surely then the pump tries to inject the lowest of these three figures?

Where do you see what is actually being delivered?

Put the engine back together today.

It still white smokes when cold like it has always done, sat idling for five minutes and it just gently chuffs white, not a lot but enough to be embarassing.

On the upside

I painted the inlet manifold, p clipped the loom section that just drapes across the front of the engine, improved the intake pipework so it sits tidy without hitting the servo housing, the various 3mm boost lines were tidied up and routed properly - at least it looks tidy and my OCD is less challenged.

Comment

• Yes. The ECU allows the lowest of the three fuel map figures based on drivers throttle position, atmospheric pressure and airflow. They're not proposed. 'X' fuel value in the smoke map is converted into the electrical position for the pump map and delivered via the 10 timing maps.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Do another log run lets see what - if anything - has changed.

Comment

• So you dont see what is delivered, just what the ECU thinks it want to deliver based on it's calculations - is there any way of knowing that the IQ position is right for the intended injection quantity?

I'm sure it is as the black smoke I was getting would show there's enough fuel.

My proposal to fit bigger injectors was not to gain more fuel flow but to get equal fuel flow across the five injectors - I can only equate it to unbalanced carbs on a motorbike and the large effect they have on power and engine feel.

Also I hoped that the good atomisation from new nozzle might cure the white smoke - even if they don't it would be one less possible problem area eliminated.

Comment

• Well the spare ECU turned up today, at least I think it might be the ECU - arrived as a massive parcel and I set about unwrapping it and four hours later I'm surrounded by a huge pile of bubble wrap, tape and jiffy bags, still no nearer the prize.

Anyway the threads been a bit thin on pics so here's the tidied engine bay.

Pleased to say the ominous vibe through the throttle pedal is now gone, I presumed it was just something vibrating from the engine against the bulkhead and the main suspect was the intake pipe touching the brake servo housing. With the pipework re-routed and the vibe which felt like a terminal engine failure is now gone

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              Well the spare ECU turned up today, at least I think it might be the ECU - arrived as a massive parcel and I set about unwrapping it and four hours later I'm surrounded by a huge pile of bubble wrap, tape and jiffy bags, still no nearer the prize.

Anyway the threads been a bit thin on pics so here's the tidied engine bay.

Pleased to say the ominous vibe through the throttle pedal is now gone, I presumed it was just something vibrating from the engine against the bulkhead and the main suspect was the intake pipe touching the brake servo housing. With the pipework re-routed and the vibe which felt like a terminal engine failure is now gone
              Good news Reg

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• That looks very clean.

Comment

That’s looking good. Good news that you sorted the vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

So you dont see what is delivered, just what the ECU thinks it want to deliver based on it's calculations - is there any way of knowing that the IQ position is right for the intended injection quantity?

I'm sure it is as the black smoke I was getting would show there's enough fuel.

My proposal to fit bigger injectors was not to gain more fuel flow but to get equal fuel flow across the five injectors - I can only equate it to unbalanced carbs on a motorbike and the large effect they have on power and engine feel.

Also I hoped that the good atomisation from new nozzle might cure the white smoke - even if they don't it would be one less possible problem area eliminated.
                    There are other channels in VCDS for reviewing the fuel but they're only reporting the various tabled map content. As you know there's no measuring device unless you fit a wideband AFR meter to 'prove' the ECU calcs.

The ECU balances the injected fuel delivery every 10 miliseconds. I'll check the AFR but I'm sure it's 16:1.

At what rev range / band are you seeing white smoke?

Once you've unwrapped your ECU with v2 and installed - let's review after some logruns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                      There are other channels in VCDS for reviewing the fuel but they're only reporting the various tabled map content. As you know there's no measuring device unless you fit a wideband AFR meter to 'prove' the ECU calcs.

The ECU balances the injected fuel delivery every 10 miliseconds. I'll check the AFR but I'm sure it's 16:1.

At what rev range / band are you seeing white smoke?

Once you've unwrapped your ECU with v2 and installed - let's review after some logruns.

Started up nice and clean this morning

Thought I'd get a vid this afternoon of the smoke and it was fine again.

When it does do it, it's not thick white duff glow plug type smoke but it does chuff a bit.

Only does it when cold, starts bad and if you leave it sat there warming up it doesn't get any better. And it stinks.

When I drive away, as soon as I give it some enthusiastic throttle it'll lay down a good trail of white smoke for about 50 - 100 metres.

When I install the ECU - is it immo off or on? (only so I know what to look for when inevitably it wont start and run)

Comment

• Immo on of course. What does this white haze smell of? Are you mixing your own organic fuels down there?

Comment

Immo on of course. What does this white haze smell of? Are you mixing your own organic fuels down there?
                          White haze smells of paraffin - like my dad's greenhouse when I was a kid.

Running on normal pump fuel

Immo on? I've re-chipped both keys, one chip is blank the other is the original - hopefully it'll work.

Comment

• Have you tried loading v2 onto your existing / current ECU. v2 is several steps up.

Comment

Have you tried loading v2 onto your existing / current ECU. v2 is several steps up.

Yep tried again - still no connection.

Maybe if I unplug and re-plug the ecu a few times it'll work again.

Comment

• Check the cable port on your laptop. I found VAG K Commander times out the VCP. I think it's something to do with the cloned FTDI chip used in the cheaper cables. There's an *.ini file in the directory that you can specify and force the VCP and protocol to be used. Keep the USB port free for that specific software only.

Comment

Working...
                                X