No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you get your die-grinder out for the manifold porting? Thankfully you didn't colour code the manifold...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      With only 100mbar boost tolerance before triggering a semi-limp those cheap Chinesium hoses deform - balooning & contracting under the pressure changes.

Sounds healthy. What's the thick plate / gasket between the manifold & turbo for? Access to the oil return?

The stretchy silicone pipe just joins the hard intake pipe to the cold side. It won't matter.

The thick plate needed to be 2.8mm for the housing to clear the manifold. The 8mm plate is about as big I go to get clearance for nuts without pushing turbo into bulkhead. One reason to make a bespoke manifold would be to get a good fitment.

I think I may have to whip the turbo off that plate and seal it properly as my exhaust sealant had set in the tube. When it had run for a bit there was soot evidence on the edge of the flange. It might self seal...

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Did you get your die-grinder out for the manifold porting? Thankfully you didn't colour code the manifold...

You cannot polish (or port) a turd.

That cast mess ain't worth the effort.

Why would I colour code the manifold? It's not like I have form.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          You cannot polish (or port) a turd.

That cast mess ain't worth the effort.

Why would I colour code the manifold? It's not like I have form.
          I opened up both the turbo & manifold housings so it was a true T25 sized fitting so I could upgrade the turbo and reuse the manifold. Using a die brush just took out all of the casting edges. Wish I had the expertise to fabricate a manifold...

Comment

• Managed to grab an hour earlier, turbo off, flanged sealed to fanimold and then turbo sealed to flange.
            Bolted all back up an ran at idle for a bit.
            Did a fairly dumb thing.....

Whilst it idled I put my hand over the turbo inlet and it took a while to work out why it wasn't killing the engine.

Comment

• Go on then why wasn't it killing the motor?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                Go on then why wasn't it killing the motor?
                And make it funny too...

Comment

Go on then why wasn't it killing the motor?
                  Cos I'm a twat.

The turbo isn't connect to anything but the exhaust, no inlet manifold fitted, to stall the motor you need to bloke the inlet.

Comment

• Watch your tie Reg when you're working on exposed parts, ...

Comment

• Had virtually a whole day garage time today.

Got the downpipe tacked up complete, things get a bit interesting as the downpipe gets longer - you wonder if the next piece you've added means that it'll no longer be able to be guided in position.

WIth the pipe complete, it has to be fed in from under the van and has to corkscrew it's way into position, turning through 360 degrees in the process.

Now I have a down pipe, there's something to work from for the rest of the system, this brings more challenges as it grows, trying to hold two bits in position, hold the end of the pipe at both ends and mark the pipe up for welding.

Still got it nearly done.

Couple of tweaks to get it sitting right and then I have to remove it all and weld all the joins up properly. At the moment I'm going to bodge it onto the old tailpipe but there's something suitably chavtastic in the... erm, pipeline.

Comment

• Great job Reg. I use stainless flexi myself... but I cannot weld - thankfully.

Comment

• Never worked with stainless, dull question I take it you use stainless mig wire?

Comment

Never worked with stainless, dull question I take it you use stainless mig wire?
                            Yep stainless wire 0.6mm, normal coogar type gas, needs a bit more heat than mid steel.

Comment

• Cheers, may have a bash at my own system when the current one starts showing signs that it wants to retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                Yep stainless wire 0.6mm, normal coogar type gas, needs a bit more heat than mid steel.
                                How's the new welder & setup, does the quality show?

Comment

Working...
                                X