My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Glad my working in outside in the dark gives you some amusement, the novelty of lying in a cold puddle was beginning to wear thin.
    Your pics and place look to set-up for outdoor, darkness or pools of water.
    Probably got a wood burner in the double garage with an assistant to pass you your tools!
    Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Yep volvo manifold - what it really needs is a proper manifold.... on the cards but I'll build one for a proper turbo - should I go VNT?
    Interesting question...
    If you work out the physics - No. Its not necessary, for a 200ish bhp van. Better to spend the dosh on making it more efficient and reliable
    If you work out the physics - Yes. Its very necessary, for a 400ish bhp van. Need to spend a lot more dosh on making it more efficient and buying lots of spares.
    Then theres the challenge.... move to VNT very easy, some parts exchange and then you just got to map the ECU to suit & I've done it.

Better to stay at c.200bhp then spend the time and money on buying & building a more efficient engine & gearbox setup
    Include a twin sequential turbo set-up & bypass or supercharger with a VNT booster.
    The new Volvos diesels have an interesting setup , generating and storing compressed air to fire into the turbo turbine to offset lag.

Bottom line is time and budget - right?

I've the materials for a downpipe. Bought a new TIG!
    No Argon though as I've got no way of collecting any, gas cylinder transportation will be tricky on a bicycle.
    If only I had a van. or even a mate with a van?
    Is there room for a 3" DP using the Volvo manifold?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Your pics and place look to set-up for outdoor, darkness or pools of water.
      Probably got a wood burner in the double garage with an assistant to pass you your tools!
      2 x single garages, door is not tall enough to get a van in - so it's all done outside with crap lighting at the mercy of the weather

No heating and definitely no assistant or help of any kind.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Interesting question...
      If you work out the physics - No. Its not necessary, for a 200ish bhp van. Better to spend the dosh on making it more efficient and reliable
      If you work out the physics - Yes. Its very necessary, for a 400ish bhp van. Need to spend a lot more dosh on making it more efficient and buying lots of spares.
      Then theres the challenge.... move to VNT very easy, some parts exchange and then you just got to map the ECU to suit & I've done it.

Better to stay at c.200bhp then spend the time and money on buying & building a more efficient engine & gearbox setup
      Include a twin sequential turbo set-up & bypass or supercharger with a VNT booster.
      The new Volvos diesels have an interesting setup , generating and storing compressed air to fire into the turbo turbine to offset lag.

Bottom line is time and budget - right?
      It's about having something fit properly, efficiency would come with a equal length headers and some consideration of flow

No it's not necessary, and yes bottom line is time and money

Is there room for a 3" DP using the Volvo manifold?
      There is just, but it would have to taper from the turbo outlet flange at 2.5

Comment

2 x single garages, door is not tall enough to get a van in - so it's all done outside with crap lighting at the mercy of the weather

Are the kids interested in the van?
        Sounds like you need to get Dave back to raise the roof - literally... if his van succeeds over semi-limp hill it could happen?

It's about having something fit properly, efficiency would come with a equal length headers and some consideration of flow.
        Not necessary for 200 ish bhp.

Need another Volvo turbo?

What's your commercial plans with the new welder?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

It's about having something fit properly, efficiency would come with a equal length headers and some consideration of flow

If you have a Mr sausage special spring you would easily get your van in the garage [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by daleydub View Post
            If you have a Mr sausage special spring you would easily get your van in the garage [emoji14]

Mr sausage special spring. Daleydub,... you been reading my search history?
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by daleydub View Post

You forget that Reg also has that 'planet carrying' roof rack fitted. Could always fit an airride system to the garage?

Comment

• Would be like the Thunderbirds, come to think of it, Reg has that look going on
                Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
                  Would be like the Thunderbirds, come to think of it, Reg has that look going on
                  Do the palm trees part as he drives out Sausages, or simply shudder at the thought of converting some of the diesel fumes and local atmosphere back to oxygen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
                    Would be like the Thunderbirds, come to think of it, Reg has that look going on
                    Yep, fair play - I do.

Should have seen me at school, I was really small and had "an unfeasibly large head"

I remember the first time I met my best mates housemate at uni - he answered the door and said "fuck me, it's the man with the unfeasibly large head"

Comment

Did your gasket arrive yesterday? Which inlet are you fitting AJT or the Volvo tube?

Nope didn't turn up.

Will use the AJT hose with a high quality chinesium silicone hose that you can stretch from 2" to 2.5" diameter. Those Ebay intercooler hose kits are bobbins, I removed one off an ABL a few weeks ago

Comment

Nope didn't turn up.
                        We appreciate this weeks effort to reduce your carbon foot print, but I for one am missing your daily upgrades and updates.
                        Next , you'll be binning the van in favour of a carbon racing bike and a lycra one piece?

Will use the AJT hose with a high quality chinesium silicone hose that you can stretch from 2" to 2.5" diameter.
                        That should pulse the boost beautifully. Is the hose branded Hubba Bubba ? (Chinese translation is actually Hubba Bubba)
                        If you've got some spare why not use it for your IC around the alternator?

PS: Cheesy Sausage Performance Products = 俗氣的香腸性能產品 (read : Súqì de xiāngcháng xìngnéng chǎnpǐn)
                        Last edited by Activ8; 15 December 2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

We appreciate this weeks effort to reduce your carbon foot print, but I for one am missing your daily upgrades and updates.
                          Next , you'll be binning the van in favour of a carbon racing bike and a lycra one piece?
                          Nope, carbon frames are horrible and I'm not a lycra twat - insufferable self righteous wankers. There no reason for a grown man to wear lycra in public, but to spend a sunday with a bunch of lycra clad men all staring at each others bottoms??

Chap at work came over to speak to me all excited as he thought he'd found a new buddy

He started with "So are you really into your cycling then?"

And I cut him dead with

"No, it's just a means of transport when there's nothing more suitable available"

heh.

That should pulse the boost beautifully.
                          On the inlet it'll be fine.

What do you mean pulse the boost? What do the opening inlet valves and the compressor vanes do then?

Turbo finally fitted, new filter and fresh engine oil

Just to prove how simple the diesel engine is, I fired it up with half of the bits missing.

After a few minutes - unfortunately the compressor housing looked like this.

Hopefully it's just the graphite release oil I sprayed in to free up the cartridge

Comment

• Started this as well...

Click image for larger version

Name:	downpipe1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	262337

Comment

• Cheers Reg, great literal comedy, job and work... more please! Actuator on the Volvo manifold looks tight?

Comment

On the inlet it'll be fine.
                                With only 100mbar boost tolerance before triggering a semi-limp those cheap Chinesium hoses deform - balooning & contracting under the pressure changes.
                                Just to prove how simple the diesel engine is, I fired it up.
                                Sounds healthy. What's the thick plate / gasket between the manifold & turbo for? Access to the oil return?

Comment

Working...
                                X