No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of luck, some ACV injector lines popped up on facebooks 'T4 parts for sale' page, £30 and located in Barnstaple, result! Pick them up tomorrow, I've whipped off my bent AJT lines and moved needle lift injector position in readiness.

Comment

• My new 1/2 wera C3 torque wrench turned up today and I wasted no time tightening the crank up to 160Nm, then comes the little matter of the extra 180 degrees....

Something I hate and the reason I tend to avoid belts on 2.5s and 2.4s, previously I've dicked about with dodgy home made locking methods, then a inadequate breaker bar and lengths of pipe, then struggled to get a decent swing. I think what caused my 2.4 to crack the key off the crank pulley on the way to glasto in 2002 was the fact I'd made a half arsed job of tightening it and thought that'll do.

Knowing I'd have to do the cambelt on my 2.5, I bought a crank locking set and a metre long 3/4" breaker bar, and another 400mm 3/4 bar for the locking tool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210125_171931[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.4 KB ID:	318750

Absolutely pissed it. Right tools for the job.

Bouyed up I cleaned up my overspray splattered washer bottle and fitted on the brackets

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210125_180317[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	318751

Tight against the firewall, plenty of room for the air filter hopefully.

I sent Tommy P the picture of my cambelt tools and the eagle eyed so and so spotted something quite innocuous that might be quite pivotal in my six speed project...
      Last edited by regcheeseman; 25 January 2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Have you got a link for the washer bottle? I want to shift mine for a cold feed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
          Have you got a link for the washer bottle? I want to shift mine for a cold feed too.

Edit: Wait, is it a standard washer bottle?

#vanlife

Comment

I want to shift mine for a cold feed too.

You worried about something

Comment

• Yep standard bottle

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

You worried about something
                Heat Soak keeps me awake for hours.

#vanlife

Comment

Heat Soak keeps me awake for hours.

You and Rob

Comment

• Had a 'mare last night, struggled to get the engine back in, made a right pigs of it, couldn't really see what I was doing, trying to rush and ended up ditching it with one side bolted in and it sat on the trolley jack.

Tonight I tried again, I'd trapped the power steering pipes behind the motor which were stopping it going in, had to take it back out again, dropped the engine down on the crane, it went to fast and this was the result

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210127_191447[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.5 KB ID:	318918

Arse!

Motor's in now, going to connect the clutch hydraulics back up, and the driveshafts and make sure the clutch releases and engages.

edit: quick look on ebay - £110 for a filler neck! Think I paid £40 from VW for the last one I bought.
                    Last edited by regcheeseman; 27 January 2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Get a Volvo one, I did for precisely this reason. The necks are expensive as fuck. The Volvo ones have the breather closer to the near side too which is nice. It’s just tidier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174335574213

#vanlife

Comment

• Found an LT one for 23 delivered, not sure if it will fit. Try VW later.

Comment

• Genuine T4 one from VW - £34.09

Robbing ebay gits. Don't be shy of the main dealer for parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            Genuine T4 one from VW - £34.09

Robbing ebay gits. Don't be shy of the main dealer for parts.
                            What have you actually bought?
                            Surely thats not the complete head cover, filler etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

What have you actually bought?
                              Surely thats not the complete head cover, filler etc?
                              Nope that's the filler neck, about what I paid for the same thing five years ago, problem is the dealer is an hour away and wont post, but they are cheaper than the cheapest second hand one on eBay.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Nope that's the filler neck, about what I paid for the same thing five years ago, problem is the dealer is an hour away and wont post, but they are cheaper than the cheapest second hand one on eBay.
                                Scene tax fail!

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X