No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents were very fond of using a metaphor when I was growing up, often I had no clue what they meant or the derivation, but as I've got older I've come to love a metaphor and the background behind the saying.

Yesterday's metaphor was "A stitch in time, save's nine"

My door lock has been getting stiffer the last few weeks and I've been thinking, must pull that door card off and oil the mechanism, that's all it needs.

Until yesterday...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201015_150302[1].jpg
Views:	333
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	312335

So now I have to oil the lock and mend the door handle.

Comment

• You may be lucky and just have a broken spring. If not have you a spare handle?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

• I have two spare doors with all trim.

Job done, cleaned oiled and greased, I can now open my door with my little pinky or a finger.

Comment

• Modifying another set of RX8 seats to fit.

Angle grind all the original brackets off to leave the basic rails

Name:	IMG_20201106_180131[1].jpg
Views:	308
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	313664

Made some brackets up and welded on some captive nuts, In order to get clearance on the underside of the seat it needs to be lifted a bit so I'm using 40mm box

Name:	IMG_20201106_180120[1].jpg
Views:	308
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	313665

Mounting the base up and tacking up the brackets to the seat base

Name:	IMG_20201106_204022[1].jpg
Views:	320
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	313666

Then fully welded, the RX seat rails are offset so the brackets have to be offset so the seat is central, but the inner rail lines up with the seat base properly.

Name:	IMG_20201106_204459[1].jpg
Views:	321
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	313667

They a quick blast of satin black and some black plastic pipe bungs

Name:	IMG_20201106_205429[1].jpg
Views:	312
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	313668

Comment

• Started loosing water...

About 12 months ago the alarm came on so I topped up - no worries....

Six months ago the light came on again, topped up, little concerned...

Last Tuesday light came on, another litre goes in, something aint right.....

Today the light came on again, bugger.

So I already needed clutch and cambelts. Probably need to investigate the oil leaking from turbo and the water loss problem - think I may as well pull the engine and box complete. At least I can then get it in the garage to work on rather than working outside.

Comment

• If your as busy as me you'll be in that Corsa for a few months.I took S49 off the road at the end of August and i still havent finished it.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                If your as busy as me you'll be in that Corsa for a few months.I took S49 off the road at the end of August and i still havent finished it.
                Yeah probably, but its a good incentive to get the van fixed.

Comment

• In addition to having to top it up are there any other indicators of the coolant loss?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Started loosing water...

About 12 months ago the alarm came on so I topped up - no worries....

Six months ago the light came on again, topped up, little concerned...

Last Tuesday light came on, another litre goes in, something aint right.....

Today the light came on again, bugger.

So I already needed clutch and cambelts. Probably need to investigate the oil leaking from turbo and the water loss problem - think I may as well pull the engine and box complete. At least I can then get it in the garage to work on rather than working outside.
                    I’d pull it. Leave the shafts in, they don’t need to come out. It saves both time and fucking about. Much easier to do all of it.

Water loss for me was external, first a cracked stat housing and second the little plastic housing that had the 2 temp sensors in it that attaches to the head and third was the long ass bottom hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                    #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                      In addition to having to top it up are there any other indicators of the coolant loss?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
                      Not a sausage, but I've not really had a proper look.

Comment

• Might as well get on with this

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_193109.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.9 KB ID:	315239

Attacked with a wire brush on the grinder then a selection of decreasing size wire brushes in drill.
                        Stripped the engine down a bit further and gave it a coat of electrox

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_204153.jpg Views:	0 Size:	330.9 KB ID:	315240

I like it in the grey (yes grey) it has a sort of industrial look to it, but I thought I'd try some black engine enamel, it is still wet in the photo but should matt down

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_204200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	321.4 KB ID:	315241

However, I do have a tin of high temp paint on the shelf I'm tempted to use in a fetching shade of orange....although when I built my golf motor I wass tempted to paint that white with black ancillaries because I thought it would look good, it didn't, it looked shite.
                        Last edited by regcheeseman; 30 November 2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• It's matted down now

Name:	IMG_20201130_211954[1].jpg
Views:	290
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	315248

Comment

• The first pic makes me think back to fond memories of doing mine but then I saw the other ones lol. I kept mine a filthy as a crack whore. It’s a T4, it’ll leak every fluid onto it anyway and that’s just at the first start.

I’m man enough to admit it. Will you be? Perhaps you’ll do it properly though and not just throw it together without the slightest idea of what you’re doing like I do with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Is the 2,5 petrol based on that block?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                Is the 2,5 petrol based on that block?
                                No idea.

The orange paint didn't work quite as anticipated

Name:	IMG_20201201_202140.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	315323

Dunno if it was the paint, the thinners, too cold. It probably looks like a nicely painted orange block five minutes after first start up, so I've saved myself a whole heap of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X