My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Old spanners to make a van like new, nice one.
    Oi! Who are you calling an old spanner?

Pot - kettle.

Comment

• Plenty of apply filler, block sand back, apply more filler, sand back, until it feels flat and the feathered edge to surrounding metal is uniform around the whole repair section, any paint remaining indicate a low spot and more filling and sanding required in that area.

Eventually it was ready for more filler primer, I mixed up 600ml and used my bigger 1.4 tipped gun as the 1.0 tipped mini-gun struggled way too hard to deliver the thick primer last time.

Primer lagged on pretty thick especially in the filled areas and then a dust of rattlecan satin black as a guide coat for flatting back

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201003_171534[1].jpg
Views:	276
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	311648

Comment

• How thick do you make your layers of filler?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
          How thick do you make your layers of filler?

The damage was a lot of shallow dip in the panel so not a lot to fill, but typically quite large shallow dents, the OS corner was a mess and needed more, maybe 5-10 mm in a few spots for the first lag on of filler, then after it is just skim coats, 1-2mm max.

If you look up through the very centre section of the door, there's a couple of swage lines which haven't been replicated clean enough, so more filling needed, it is so easy to sand off too much with one pass of the paper on these high spots.

When I have flatted down there's bound to be more areas that need a bit of attention - I wish I had started with a straighter tailgate but it is getting there.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

The damage was a lot of shallow dip in the panel so not a lot to fill, but typically quite large shallow dents, the OS corner was a mess and needed more, maybe 5-10 mm in a few spots for the first lag on of filler, then after it is just skim coats, 1-2mm max.

If you look up through the very centre section of the door, there's a couple of swage lines which haven't been replicated clean enough, so more filling needed, it is so easy to sand off too much with one pass of the paper on these high spots.

When I have flatted down there's bound to be more areas that need a bit of attention - I wish I had started with a straighter tailgate but it is getting there.
            Cheers, ive never used the stuff yet but I've got a tub.

Comment

• Flatted down the guide coat, as expected showed up a few areas needing more work, so another skim

Name:	IMG_20201004_151649[1].jpg
Views:	275
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	311662

Comment

• Bought some more RX8 seats.

Name:	IMG_20201005_172218[1].jpg
Views:	270
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	311713

Bit dusty, should clean up nice, twitchy bum moment earlier extracting the air bags.

Comment

• Whats wrong with the existing ones - two tone leather?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Whats wrong with the existing ones - two tone leather?

I want to fit different bases, which means welding seat rails up to suit, this way I don't have to keep fitting and replacing seats on a daily basis, then I'll probably sell the old ones, or stash for the doka.

Comment

• Winter wheels on

Name:	IMG_20201010_151902[1].jpg
Views:	266
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	312017

I might take a picture loading a pallet load of rusty tools with a forklift just to see if Si explodes.

Comment

• Van has thrown a hissy fit about the new wheels.

Remember a little while ago when I was running the fuel tank mega low, testing the yellow light range and it struggled to start, just spinning over for ages without firing? I assumed it was due to low fuel, so filled up and it has been fine.

But since fitting the steels, It's done it twice today, I'm pretty sure it's fuel related, probably air getting in.

Comment

• Fit a manual pump and throw the ECU in the bin. When it turns out it wasn’t air getting in and a silly sensor somewhere you’ll have saved a lot of time and effort.

No need to thank me, I’m just paying it forward.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• Van looks good on those steels.
                            Are they spacered? Great fit.

Comment

• Did you change the fuel filter and run some cleaner through with the new fuel after running it low?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                Did you change the fuel filter and run some cleaner through with the new fuel after running it low?

Nope went to get a filter yesterday when it happened, both factors near me had closed early because covid opening times. Wish they told Google.

Comment

Working...
                                X