No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only reason to miss a meet on the Midlands is the fact that it's a meet in the Midlands.

Hans, standard tank bought to replace mine as it has four holes in the top caused by a Muppet putting long self tappers through the cab floor!

Comment

• That should be in the hands off the tools section. Fuckmuppett isn't good enough

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Are there different tanks for different models? That don't look anything like the tank I have for the doka.

Comment

• Only one diesel and 3 petrol

Comment

• This is one for a doka (pritsche) and it looks like all the other ones.
            Basically they all the same , only the filler neck is different to prevent idiots to put the wrong fuel in.
            ( hands up , who done it)

I ones put petrol in a diesel mondeo

Comment

• Pic

Comment

• But that was to torch the Mondeo Andreas - it don't count!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Unfortunately no harm done. The tank wasn't completely empty , so i topped up with diesel every 50 miles and made it home. It was a 2003 tdci

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
                    That should be in the hands off the tools section. Fuckmuppett isn't good enough

Just to clarify, it wasn't me. (honest)

When I first stripped the van and removed the amps from under the seat bases I noticed a feint diesel smell. So I got a length of welding rod and discovered I could check the fuel level by using it as a dipstick. The person that fitted the amps was also a dipstick.

Comment

• No probs, we see u at the Midlands meet, even if we have to rename it to
                      " reg-cheese-land"

Comment

• Tank out, seems there was another bonus hole that I didn't know about.

No to replace the steering rack bushes, that'll be fun.

Comment

• This weekend I was prepared for two jobs I've been putting off for a long time;
                          • Fuel tank swap, my tank has had holes for as long as I've owned the van - in fact longer
                          • Steering rack bushes were an advisory on the last MOT nearly 12 months ago
                          As the two jobs were in the same place and the tank removal makes rack access slightly easier it made sense to do them together, I wasn't looking forward to the rack as I know how awkward it is to get to the rack, especially the nearside front mounting.

There was a bit of planning involved, I found a tank local about four months ago and picked it up about two weeks ago, all this week I've been running low on fuel, carrying a gallon can in the footwell just in case I ran it a little too low.

The tank dropped out easy, the straps were a bit rusty so they were cleaned up with a wire knot wheel on the grinder

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200926_100137[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	412.4 KB ID:	311229

Then they were coated twice with good old Bilt hamber Electrox and a few coats of Simoniz satin black

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200926_125407[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.5 KB ID:	311230

Now there was no more putting it off - time for the rack bushes, first undo the rack. I'd been in there before when the steering became a bit vague because two of the captive nut were no longer captive and all the mounting bolts were loose allowing the rack to move around.

Eventually I got the four bolts undone. Time to remove the old bushes. I used a long bolt, a nut, a socket and couple of washers to fashion a tool to draw the bush out of the rack, one problem - as the bush pulls out you cant get a spanner on the nut to stop the bodged up bush puller from turning, Here's where Si will be happy - I have a 12/13mm ring spanner removed from my dads old lada circa 1980 - its a very useful tool when you need it and did the trick. Probably took about 2 hours to remove four bushes, the tightest one obviously being the one that I couldn't get to easily, that one took best part of an hour but eventually gave up.

It turns out the remaining two captive nuts were no longer captive and to hold a nut in place I had to bend a crappy old 17mm spanner - I chose an old Draper expert spanner because that's all that draper crap is good for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200926_125342[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	383.9 KB ID:	311231

One bent Draper expert, a russian ring spanner, knackered bushes and non-captive bastard nuts.

I used some split poly bushes from Brickworks, because they are much easier to fit than trying to pull oem style rubber bushes back into the rack. They were in and bolted down in about an hour (including heating and bending the 17mm spanner to suit).

I decided to change the oil and filter while I was in there as it was overdue and the drained oil was evident of the stretched schedule.

New tank fitted, undertray back on and the van is back up and running. Yay! Job jobbed!

Comment

• Old spanners to make a van like new, nice one.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              Old spanners to make a van like new, nice one.
                              Couldn't of put it better myself Si! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                This weekend I was prepared for two jobs I've been putting off for a long time;
                                • Fuel tank swap, my tank has had holes for as long as I've owned the van - in fact longer
                                • Steering rack bushes were an advisory on the last MOT nearly 12 months ago
                                As the two jobs were in the same place and the tank removal makes rack access slightly easier it made sense to do them together, I wasn't looking forward to the rack as I know how awkward it is to get to the rack, especially the nearside front mounting.

There was a bit of planning involved, I found a tank local about four months ago and picked it up about two weeks ago, all this week I've been running low on fuel, carrying a gallon can in the footwell just in case I ran it a little too low.

The tank dropped out easy, the straps were a bit rusty so they were cleaned up with a wire knot wheel on the grinder

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200926_100137[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	412.4 KB ID:	311229

Then they were coated twice with good old Bilt hamber Electrox and a few coats of Simoniz satin black

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200926_125407[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.5 KB ID:	311230

Now there was no more putting it off - time for the rack bushes, first undo the rack. I'd been in there before when the steering became a bit vague because two of the captive nut were no longer captive and all the mounting bolts were loose allowing the rack to move around.

Eventually I got the four bolts undone. Time to remove the old bushes. I used a long bolt, a nut, a socket and couple of washers to fashion a tool to draw the bush out of the rack, one problem - as the bush pulls out you cant get a spanner on the nut to stop the bodged up bush puller from turning, Here's where Si will be happy - I have a 12/13mm ring spanner removed from my dads old lada circa 1980 - its a very useful tool when you need it and did the trick. Probably took about 2 hours to remove four bushes, the tightest one obviously being the one that I couldn't get to easily, that one took best part of an hour but eventually gave up.

It turns out the remaining two captive nuts were no longer captive and to hold a nut in place I had to bend a crappy old 17mm spanner - I chose an old Draper expert spanner because that's all that draper crap is good for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200926_125342[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	383.9 KB ID:	311231

One bent Draper expert, a russian ring spanner, knackered bushes and non-captive bastard nuts.

I used some split poly bushes from Brickworks, because they are much easier to fit than trying to pull oem style rubber bushes back into the rack. They were in and bolted down in about an hour (including heating and bending the 17mm spanner to suit).

I decided to change the oil and filter while I was in there as it was overdue and the drained oil was evident of the stretched schedule.

New tank fitted, undertray back on and the van is back up and running. Yay! Job jobbed!
                                Nice job on the tank straps. I knew I had to do mine when I took my tank out, but didn't have the time pre-mot.

Nice to see how they clean up!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X