No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've no doubt you'll make a smashing job of that tailgate Reg. But then how are you going to load the cargo bay with a forklift?

Comment

• Si. No loading mine with forklift

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
        I've no doubt you'll make a smashing job of that tailgate Reg. But then how are you going to load the cargo bay with a forklift?
        In through the side door? Or buy a doka...

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
          I’m sure you sort it Reg. how you gonna attack the rust? Grind it out?
          Yep, grinder with a knot wheel, scotch pad and flap wheel and if it's still there, cut it out and weld in fresh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200823_200012.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	308777
          Areas ground out, dents pushed out as good as I could achieve.

Name:	IMG_20200823_201621.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	308778
          My filler tub was pretty old and way past its best, so yeah, it looks like shit, I'll rub this back and get another tub of filler.

Name:	IMG_20200823_201630.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	308779

This is going to need some new metal.

Comment

• Started to weld in the blanking plate to smooth out the rear badge recess - small tacks allowed to cool to minimise warpage

Name:	IMG_20200825_103004.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	308977

For some odd reason I adjusted the welder, stupid sip power settings, it has switches for min/med/maxn and another for low and high. You'd assume or at least I did that min-high would be less than med/low but it isn't, I'm not really sure how the power settings compare and I've only had this welder for about 20 years. Whatever, I got the settings wrong for about 75% of the full welding stage and only got it right towards the end of the job

Name:	IMG_20200825_105954.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	308978

So then I set about the rusty patch and cut out the area

Name:	IMG_20200825_110656.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	308979

And then created a new piece to weld in

Name:	IMG_20200825_225440.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	308980

At this point the boss came home from the shops and it was game over.

Comment

• What gauge sheet are you using for the repair?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                What gauge sheet are you using for the repair?

No idea, it was a scrap found in my metal bin of odds and ends.

Today I fitted a new pair of 215 45 17 kumho ecstas to the front, replacing some 225s that were playing havoc with the edge of my arches.

I had to swap the 225s on the front to the back and replace the jingu 235s with the new 215s - whilst swapping the wheels around I noticed how scabby my arches were.

Gutted to be honest, it's the first sign of rot on the van and were the misery starts, using the knot wheel on the grinder revealed that the small scabs were mostly benign but a couple are bad and I'm going to have to cut them out - the first welding on my van as far as I remember, bad news.

I've done the N/S front tonight which was in fine condition, just a few tiny rust scabs, I straightened the damaged arch and then hammered the return lip back against itself to allow more clearance. The rear arch behind the wheel had some rust as well, the thick factory stone chip had separated from the panel, and rust had got in, nothing too serious, so I got rid of the loose stuff until it was sound

I cleaned up every speck of rust, BH electrox, rattlecan satin black, dinitrol stonechip and then a home brew coating made from some 3M wax, some thinners, some schutz and some seam sealer to thicken it up. Basically I had a load of half empty tins that I stuck together to make a spray on black coating.

I'll get some pictures of the OS front arch when I repair that as that is were the real misery is.

Comment

What gauge sheet are you using for the repair?

1mm too 1.5mm as a rule of thumb

Comment

• Normally around this time of year, the van wheels would be off, polished front and back. interior and exterior cleaned and polished in readiness for Santa Pod.

As I lay on the grass today after spending the last week walking the coast and topped off by a day in the sea I looked at the van...

Name:	U&A.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	309399

Cobwebs in grille, filthy wheels, thick dirt on the panels, mud splashes, kayak back on the roof, I had to get a real picture of honest T4 life. It's much enjoyed, a used and abused but still loved member of the family.

I'll clean it tomorrow...

Comment

• Summed up brilliantly how we feel about ours mate.

Comment

• A cracking pic. People that keep them mint and never do anything with them aren’t real T4 owners.

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

• Yep love it, watched the sunset the other night, got back to the van, kids and missus were a bit cold, turned the heater on - nice and toasty in minutes.

Comment

• You almost sound content with Life Reg. Must of been a good week?

Comment

You almost sound content with Life Reg. Must of been a good week?

A change of job can do wonders for your out look, I know my recent change did.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post

A change of job can do wonders for your out look, I know my recent change did.
                                Anyone know of any jobs going

Comment

Working...
                                X