No announcement yet.

Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many times did he call you a fucking ****?

He's a legend in his own street that man, top bloke
    Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

I got a new bevel and a flat knot wheel here, will pick up some tins...

Do I need to get the electrox online or will Marlow and Smale sell it?
      Last edited by Dave Sausages; 31 May 2017, 11:52 PM.
      Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
        How many times did he call you a fucking ****?
        not ME but he obviously knows YOU well.

As for the electrox - Could try Marlow and Smale - they may have something they think is similar, doubt it is and they'll probably offer you david's zinc (tell them to ram it.)
        Last edited by regcheeseman; 2 June 2017, 12:18 AM. Reason: removed the c bomb thread killer

Comment

So it's a old VW thread, has to be some welding...

Chop the old rot out with a slit disc and clean the hole up with a knot wheel in the grinder.

Then use part of an old cereal box pressed into the hole, burnishing it along the edges to leave an indent in the cardboard and cut the template out.

Copy the template onto steel and cut it out with the slit disc
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20170601_191415.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	261412

I find that using a big pair of adjustables to work along the piece will form a much neater bend than just whacking it with a hammer.

Name:	20170601_191624.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	261413

Test the patch in the hole, need to fit as tight as possible, any gap over a mm and you'll tend to burn holes.

Name:	20170601_193535.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	261414

Then weld it up, welder was set a bit too high to cope with the thick patch material, so a few areas blew away

Name:	20170601_202306.jpg
ID:	261417

Dressed with a disc in the grinder, then a flap disc to tidy up and it's not half bad, a few pin holes were filled in, using a brass block held on the back of the hole where I could actually get to the back of the hole. The brass block stops you just blowing a bigger hole.

Another patch welded up on the other side and the welding is all done

Name:	20170601_214111.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	261416
          Attached Files
          Last edited by regcheeseman; 8 July 2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Just two little patches.....not bad at all.
            Great thread Reg, keep it coming please.
            Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Reg, that post showing the welding was really interesting. As a T4 owner that doesn't yet weld (but have a hankering to learn) it was really useful.

More posts like this from people would be really appreciated (by me at least), rather than the before and after shots you get in most threads.

Cheers

Comment

Useful to know about putting brass block behind it, didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                  Useful to know about putting brass block behind it, didn't know that.
                  It's a good trick to know when trying to fill in pin holes that don't really warrant a patch - or at least they didn't until you took the MIG torch near them.

I'm sure most know this, but another useful trick when welding a plate is to tack it at 10 -15mm intervals using less than a second bursts of weld, when joining the tacks, if it's tending to blow holes, don't try to weld a full seam, adopt a 50% duty cycle - weld for a second, stop for a second, weld for a second, stop for a second, you soon get a feel for how much heat the join can take without collapsing and learn when to go for a full seam and when to go easy.

Not that the above are a good example - I've not welded for a while (I'm a bit rusty ) and it takes a while to get the welder dialled in on the settings particular to the job, the underside of the material I was welding was rusty and thin in places, cavity wax and under seal on the underside was also contaminating the weld.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    I'm sure most know this,
                    Most may, but some (at least 1!) didn't. Please keep on adding info assuming your audience are completely ignorant. In at least 1 case you will be correct!

Cheers

Comment

I keen to learn a bit of welding, it will come in useful now I've got a t4. Keep this advice coming please.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

I've tried a bit of welding and had mixed results, this tho will help me no end as I wouldn't of thought to clean underseal etc off the underside before welding, cheers reg 👍

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

at risk of this becoming a welding advice thread, i'd add:

a good weld joins the metal front and back, so it's equally important for the metal to be bare and shiny on the side you can't see.

i like to leave a 0.5 - 1mm gap between panels so the weld has somewhere to go and guarantee penetration, and also to make room for a little expansion as you're heating the metal. with a 1mm grinder disc you can chop out a bit of mangled metal, batter it into shape and then weld it back in.

and in lieu of brass, i use copper pipe offcuts. you can hammer them into shape to put behind odd shaped panels.

now back to the engine swap. looking forward to seeing pics of all the bits other threads seem to skim over.
                          my van - http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php...02-800-special

Comment

No skimming on tonight's update, plenty of pics of one important aspect of TDI swaps - the TPS fitting.

But first a bit of slim-fast on the donor loom.

The big bucket is chopped out wire and connectors, the small one is the tape used to wrap the loom.

Name:	20170602_174603.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	261430

I plugged the van looms into the fuse box (leaving out the engine loom) then plugged in the tdi engine loom into the fusebox into any vacant slots. The donor loom is a complete unit and has wiring for fan, lights, wipers etc that the T4 has already catered for with it's engine bay loom, so there are several duplicated plugs.

For every duplicate I assessed what it was for and then decided if I needed to use the T4 or SEAT version - it makes sense to stick with the T4 bits except the brake light switch because the seat has extra wires in this section to use an extra brake light switch for the ECU.

Once I'd decided what could go I just pulled it out of the loom. (and kept it - just in case)

Now onto the TPS,/Throttle Position Sensor/fly-by-wire throttle....

Name:	20170602_182234.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	261418

A quick look at possible ways it might fit and then start cutting

Name:	20170602_194724.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	261419

Then a bit more CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)

Name:	20170602_195334.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	261420

Transfer the template onto steel, cut it out, bend it up and weld.

Name:	20170602_200442.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	261421

Cleaned up and mounting holes drilled

Name:	20170602_202815.jpg
ID:	261422

Filed off any rough edges and sprayed it satin black

Name:	20170602_203037.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	261423

Mounting holes drilled in the van

Name:	20170602_203626.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	261429

And the bracket mounted up

Name:	20170602_204530.jpg
ID:	261425

TPS unit fitted (thank god)

Name:	20170602_211208.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	261426

Made a hook from some stainless rod

Name:	20170602_211224.jpg
ID:	261427

Added a rubber sleeve from a length of pipe to prevent it damaging the throttle pedal bush and fitted it

Name:	20170602_211913.jpg
ID:	261428

It's a bit offset - I bent the throttle pedal arm to line it up but went a touch too far, will bend it back tomorrow....

edit - there's about three hours work gone into that loom, less than an hour to do that bracket.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by regcheeseman; 9 July 2017, 12:15 AM.

Comment

There's some top work right there! Well done Reg! 👍👍

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
                              '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Cardboard aided design......love it.
                                Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Working...
                                X