• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't mine, belonged to Strap-on Andy
    Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

Originally posted by TURK View Post
      Also, in 1996 when VW introduced the long nose, did they also elongate the chassis front end to accommodate the VR6 engine ?
      Chassis is the same between long and short nose, all the difference is bolt on, from the front crossmember forwards. (Otherwise people wouldn't be able to do long nose conversions workout serious work). If you want more info on what it all looks like, start a new thread and I will dig out the photos from when I built my van.

Comment

So it's not so complicated to go for VR6?

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
          Chassis is the same between long and short nose, all the difference is bolt on, from the front crossmember forwards. (Otherwise people wouldn't be able to do long nose conversions workout serious work).
          That's a very good point d-9 .......... and one I hadn't considered !

Thanks

TURK
          Yeah, baby ! ........ new Multivan 151bhp AHY 'BigBlue' ; ) >> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689
          And ......... Lulu, T4 2.5 TDi short nose 126bhp > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276554
          The T4 Quad Headlight Project > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064

Comment

Shit Reg, that's a serious amount of work to change an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Burgmeister View Post
              Shit Reg, that's a serious amount of work to change an engine.
              Nah - not really.

It's not a straight swap. non turdo indirect injection engine to TDI so there's the wiring and fly-by wire throttle installation

As the driveshafts needed rebuilding, it makes sense to drop the gearbox out as well - simply because when it comes to fitting the engine and building the downpipe I'll have plenty of space to work in and be able to swing the engine in and out with ease (on the crane) for test fittings.

Ripping out the dash makes a lot of sense too, sure you could mess about trying to work up under the dash - but this way I've loads of space and can see what I'm doing. The loom I have has loads of extra wire as it ran across the car to the fusebox in the donor - rather than try to either shorten it or stuff it up behind the dash, I can do it tidy. I may even run it across the inside of the van and site the ECU inside as they are prone to water damage.

Preparation is key - sure it looks like a lot of excess work at this stage but it'll save me time and hassle in the long run.

Started to look at the wiring last night - looks like fun!

Comment

Great work, but do you have to toke of cheese and just go for it lol

sent from over there

Comment

He's more of a lambrini man

Comment

Originally posted by Dazteen View Post
                    Great work, but do you have to toke of cheese and just go for it lol

sent from over there
                    I have no idea what this means. Toke of cheese?

Anyway, is this something you do as a regular income earner Reg - I know this particular job was as a job swap with MR Sausages, but do you also do it for a living?

Comment

Ahhhh, a toke of cheese.....bringabongalong
                      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

My TDI is built and in... After the pedal box mods it's time to hit the wiring... 🤔

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
                        '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
                          Sweetbebbyjizzusnomybeautifulvan
                          the interior is coming on a bundle

Comment

must be a bloody big roof your doing for Reg.

Comment

Twas bleddy complimocated

Comment

Originally posted by hairyjerry View Post
                                must be a bloody big roof your doing for Reg.
                                It was, and not a straightforward one either

Lifted that steel up on my own using couple of ratchet straps and a timber A - frame, bit of a sphincter clenching moment inching 270kg up on ratchet straps.

loads of fun, this is the small roof over the porch, the garden room roof was much the same but much bigger

Originally posted by Burgmeister View Post
                                is this something you do as a regular income earner Reg - I know this particular job was as a job swap with MR Sausages, but do you also do it for a living?
                                Nope - I've a real job, the VW stuff is just a hobby

Not a lot of progress tonight, didn't get home until 8, some dodgy looking old bloke was parked in my drive have a nosey at the van, wondered what was going on until I realised it was old man sausages - a great character that's even more sweary than his son.

Tidied up the bay some more then got out the grinder with a slit disc to chop out the rot

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170531_211606.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	261407

Then attacked the light rust with a knot wheel on a grinder and gave it a coat of electrox - any chance of a couple more tins of electrox and a bevel knot wheel (screwfix) please Dave?

Name:	20170531_211556.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	261408

Name:	20170531_211616.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	261409

The dintrol and bilt hamber stuff aint cheap but having tested hundreds of different coatings over the years - this is what I trust.

Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                                My TDI is built and in... After the pedal box mods it's time to hit the wiring... ��
                                Pictures of the pedal box mods? I had a little puzzle over the TPS sensor fitting earlier

Talking of wiring, this is the engine loom for the original engine

Name:	20170531_211653.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	261410

And the same loom for the TDI - wish I had labelled it when I took it out

Name:	20170531_211813.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	261411
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 8 July 2017, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X