No announcement yet.

Swapping sausages - TDI conversion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a top piston ring let go on an old Austin metro years ago, it mashed everything, ended up with about 3 big pieces embedded in the piston and various other damage !

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

• The good old A series

Comment

• Shite!! I missed this grim development somehow, best pay more attention. good luck!

Comment

• Planning to get the motor in tomorrow, with this in mind I fitted a load of bits to the engine, leaving the gearbox to bolt up, change the cam belt and re-fit the turbo.

Before I can fit the gearbox I have ANOTHER fifth gear swap for an even higher ratio.

No bother, I've done loads of these, ten minutes and the fifth gear bits are all removed.

Fit the new bits and the synchromesh will not go back on, I remove the synchro loads of times and no go. Got a bit too keen with the soft mallet and break part of the synchro. Borrocks!

I've plenty of spare bits so dig them out.

It still wont go together so I pop one together with my spare bits and it goes together easy. But the one on the gearbox wont go so I pull it all off again, assemble the bits off the box and then press the assembly back on but when it's on the synchro wont budge and the gearbox is seized solid. Double borrocks!

Pull the assembly back off AGAIN and find the synchro ring jammed on the gear, knock the two apart and go again....

This time it all goes fine, the synchro pops on easy as it should and all is fine - except now when you turn the gear it goes through a noisy rough spot that seems to be due to a rough section on the smaller gear.

I'm leaving it on and hope it beds in.

I've now wasted 2 hours on the gearbox and no time to do any of the other jobs.

Hae to get up early tomorrow to get the rest done ready for sausages to lend a hand guiding the motor back in again.

Comment

• Engine built

Sausages turned up

Engine got fitted

Fired up straightaway

Job's a goodun.

Apart from the gearbox which whines as expected.

Comment

• Back on the road again then...tidy

Comment

• Fair play mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Well done mate 👍

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

• Tidy job, wish I had an ounce of you handiness with the spanners.

Comment

• Fair play reg sounds like you know your stuff sausages should be grateful he has a personal machanic 🖒

kinky as a cheap garden hose

Comment

• Any more news with your van Mr sausage?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

• I know it made it to Beautiful Days festival and back again.

Meanwhile I've been busy rebuilding his old gearbox with a kit from ebay - there was a bit of a fedge up on my part....

I had two gearboxes, one from his van and one from the seat doner, having split both to see if they could be hybrided and deciding 'no not easily' I just decided to rebuild the van gearbox as standard.

All was going well, most of the bearings swapped and started to test fit the shafts and they wouldn't quite fit - turns out on friday when I'd dumped the old bits at the local scrapyard I'd chucked out the car mainshaft and the van countershaft.

I was at the door of the scrappie at 8 this morning when they opened and thankfully after a bit of digging I found the missing van mainshaft.

Now all the bearings have been swapped and it's ready to go back together

Thank god.

Comment

• Lucky to get it back i'd say.

Comment

• I'd say very lucky.

Tony

Comment

• All is good in the hood, just haven't got any interwebs at the mo. Van is running sweet, cheers everyone
                                Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

Working...
                                X