X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not reading a chip in the van key and getting confused? 🤔

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
    '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Think Daves van is L reg so shouldn't have transponder keys. If we all chip in i'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it.
      Last edited by S49; 20 June 2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Yes, L reg van so no transponder key originally, no leccy anything tbh!
        Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Call me old fashioned but that's how I like em.

Comment

• I liked the simplicity, but I didn't like being overtaken by lorries up hill, or the leaking gearbox, oil pressure switch, and fuel pump
            Jebem ti nanu u trulu sisu

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
              I liked the simplicity, but I didn't like being overtaken by lorries up hill, or the leaking gearbox, oil pressure switch, and fuel pump
              I thought that made it a t4?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Make sure the code reader is definitely talking to the ecu, I would be very surprised if you didn't have a bunch of stored faults on a fresh conversion. Suggest using vagcom, you will get a bunch more information, even with a £10 kkl lead and an unregistered copy of vcds lite.

You could try pulling the ecu fuses and see if it does the same stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                  Make sure the code reader is definitely talking to the ecu, I would be very surprised if you didn't have a bunch of stored faults on a fresh conversion. Suggest using vagcom, you will get a bunch more information, even with a £10 kkl lead and an unregistered copy of vcds lite.

You could try pulling the ecu fuses and see if it does the same stuff.

Yeah, I have full vagcom and vcds, but that meant walking into the house and getting it.

ECU fuses?

I found a dead fuse 21 which is the diagnostics supply - except I dont think it is anymore because I tapped into the immo box supply, my reader is powered by the socket so it had power.

But, I now have a load of new lights on the dash.....

when it's turned off!

The petrol and oil lights come on.

Turning on the ignition (there's still no power on the fuel solenoid) and all seems fine, but turning off the ignition and the fuel and oil light come on faintly, they might flash and the fuel and temp gauges flick up and down, then after 4 - 5 seconds a relay drops out in the fusebox and al lights go out. Sound like an earth may be astray somewhere....

Had no time to play tonight as my dad's car started making a funny noise, water pump gone and it needs a cambelt.

My boy wants to go surfing tomorrow so wont do much tomorrow either

Comment

• Does the wiring loom in the engine have the big round multi plug? Common hiccup on conversions I've read about have been the multi plug not fully 'home'...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
                    '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• While there is good surf, you should make the most of it! Pumping this week and I'm working

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                        Does the wiring loom in the engine have the big round multi plug? Common hiccup on conversions I've read about have been the multi plug not fully 'home'...
                        Yep - double and triple checked - have to get the multimeter out and see what voltages I have and where.

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                        While there is good surf, you should make the most of it! Pumping this week and I'm working
                        No kidding, some of the cleanest surf I've managed to get out in for a few years - great experience for my boy.

I've defected to the goat boaters and now go out in my kayak, but seeing my boy on my board I had to show him how it's done...

I proudly told him - watch an old fat man show you how to rip it up.

What I hadn't realised was how knackered 90 minutes of fighting a kayak in surf had left me....I could barely paddle the board, got out the back, missed three peachy waves and then caught a fairly mediocre one that didn't really have enough power in it.

My boy was very kind,

"rip it up dad? That was useless!"

"never mind - you looked pretty cool carving it up in the kayak"

what he doesn't know is I wasn't 'carving it up', more like struggling to stay upright and keep the pointy end towards the beach.

I bought him a new board yesterday - should be here friday - he'll be 'stoked'. Nice little NSP 5'6" fish.

Comment

• Might be a stupid comment but there's an ignition ring that needs to be fitted .... not sure if that's been mentioned [emoji848]

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Sausages View Post
                            I liked the simplicity, but I didn't like being overtaken by lorries up hill, or the leaking gearbox, oil pressure switch, and fuel pump
                            I actually get up hills in my lorry quicker in my lorry with a load than I do in van[emoji23]
                            Seriously impressive work going into your engine swap. Following with interest[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Comment

• Than I do in my van.

Comment

• Bored of ecu problems I set about the bulkhead, making a new hole for the ecu loom to fit with a grommet.

Marked up the hole by drawing on marking tape

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_192630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	261482

Then chain drilled

Name:	20170621_192841.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	261483

Using a worn down grinder slit disc mounted in an arbour and fitted in a drill I cut out most of the hole, then finished off using a piece of hacksaw blade. Popping the section out I cleaned it up with a file and then painted it with a rattle can that I had mixed for my wifes car which oddly enough is the same paint as dave's van.

Name:	20170621_195440.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	261484

Now back to the ecu.

I swapped the earth point on the engine, then turned my attention to the multi pin round connector in the front of the engine, stripping it apart, repeated sprays with contact cleaner and fitting, removal refitting to clean the contact - noting that the securing ring doesn't quite fit all the way to the stop.

The odd flashing lights on the dash are gone and now I have power at the fuel solenoid and the van starts and dies just as it did when I bypassed the solenoid with a link to the battery - still wont run properly.

I went and got vagcom and now I can read some faults

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 028 906 021 DK
                                Component and/or Version: 1.9l R4 EDC G00SG 0827
                                Software Coding: 00002
                                Work Shop Code: WSC 11111
                                5 Faults Found:
                                00527 - Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor (G72)
                                30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
                                01237 - Fuel Shut-Off Valve (N109)
                                31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
                                17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
                                P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
                                00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
                                27-00 - Implausible Signal
                                00553 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)

5 Faults Found:
                                27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
                                00765 - Modulating Piston Movement Sensor (G149)
                                35-00 - -
                                00539 - Fuel Temperature Sensor (G81)
                                30-00 - Open or Short to B+

4 Faults Found:
                                27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
                                01265 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (N18)
                                I could delete the immo but cannot find my vag commander lead.

I try some device tests via vag com and all seems ok until I get to the N109 test when nothing seems to be happening ????

Now the fuel stop solenoid has stopped working, I fiddle with earths and the circular connector again - no joy.

Then the fuel stop solenoid starts to work again randomly - well sort of.

Turning the ignition on and the solenoid gets power for a fraction of a second, then when you crank the engine it comes back on and the engine fires and dies exactly as it was doing easier - I have another look for my vag commander lead and find nothing.

Booooo!
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 9 July 2017, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X