No announcement yet.

The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now its sprayed inside ill be putting the dash back in. I fancy making it black. I'm gonna say the words. Wurths plast....aye that stuff.. my question is. At £40 for a 75ml wee tube, how much coverage do you get outta that?.

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• I've done a front bumper, two coats and there's loads left.

Comment

• Amazing fair play

Comment

• Cheers Steve. Slowly but surely!

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
            I've done a front bumper, two coats and there's loads left.
            Brilliant cheers Si.

Comment

• Quite an eventful day at the van today. Dinky my mechanic mate was with me. The plan for today was to flush the coolant system. If some of you might remember I've got oil in my header tank caused from a faulty oil cooler. I've since changed the oil cooler. When there was still oil in the header tank I thought I'd messed up the installation but Tommyp assures me its OK and I just need to flush the system. Todays job.
              As per Tommy's instructions we opened the bottom rad pipe and removed the thermostat. A long garden hose into the header tank giving it a good cold flush. Next to start the van and give it a hot flushing. Problem being the van wouldn't start. Typical. Some of my fuses looked a bit iffy in the fuse board so we just said sodd it and changed every single fuse. Still no starting. Dinky got the multimeter out and I asked a few people on WhatsApp. After a wee while Dink had it diagnosed and the van running but Hans gave me a call. Those 2 had a chat and came to the same conclusion. The ignition switch is goosed. Hence my ignition switch supply question on that other thread.
              We let the van come up to temperature ticking over for at least a hour and half. ( longest its ran in donkeys, about 4hrs total) We continued to drain, top up, drain, top up....
              This seemed to be shifting it. But there is still oil in there.
              Tomorrow's plan is to fit a drivers seat. Be it mine or the new 1 off chopper if I can get hold of him. Then get some wheels from Dinky id claimed ages ago but just haven't bought yet as all my tyres piss air the now. Then blast the van up and down the farm track to get everything circulating properly. Then drain, top up.... repeat till its hopefully clear.
              After a bit googling the Internet is suggesting a 50/50 water bleach mix to help it clean everything out.... Thoughts??? Or any other suggestions or miracle products?

I'll as Activ to upload pics. Hes bound to be pissed off doing it for me by now. Thanks to Tommyp and Hans for advice.

And I caught a pic of that plane I was going on about last week for Si

Last edited by Activ8; 8 April 2023, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Bleach, never thought of that. Forte done a bio degreaser. It was as especially made to clean those awful Rover K series after the he head gasket goes. But we found their engine flush in the cooling system did a better job.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Bleach, never thought of that. Forte done a bio degreaser. It was as especially made to clean those awful Rover K series after the he head gasket goes. But we found their engine flush in the cooling system did a better job.
                  I'm sure there are a few fancy flushes on the Internet to choose from.

I thought about fairy liquid. Its a degreaser? Just a bit, not bubbles amounts

Comment

• Buy something specific for the flush job.
                    The oil would have degraded all the water hoses, braking down the rubber compound. Prepare for some hoses going.

Comment

• Toolstation has Holts Speedflush. It has only 6 reviews but all are 5 star. Anyone used it?

Comment

• Holts stuff is usually ok but a bit mundane for some. I wouldnt use washing up liquid, it'll degrease yer pots and pans but thats about it.

Comment

• Someone we knew in the Millitary Vehicle Conservastion Group had something similar to that WW2 American spotter plane cant remember the make or model.

Comment

• Ah so its a spotter plane. I felt like an anorak stopping at the side of the airport road to take the pic

Comment

• Don't use bleach, to aggressive.
                              Washing up liquid bubbles to much and could rise the pressure (not sure) use liquid detergent which got a low foam formula or the stuff for the dishwasher, they got the same components than a car, alloy, plastic rubber and clean greasy dishes (so I heard) I don't own on

Comment

• Dishwasher liquid might be a good point. Think ill just use the hursts stuff today cos its available to go pick up now and its meant for the job. If that's still no good ill get something stronger

Comment

Working...
                                X