The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeh, keep at it bud.
    You're spreading hope to many. There's light and hope even to those vans destined for a life in TP's ownership. Crushed.

Comment

• Looking good, thanks for posting the pics up

Comment

• Still can't post pics off the app

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• Send them to me Neil.
          I'll post them up mate.

Comment

• Will do Activ, more van time today so I'll take some more pics

Comment

• Send them via WhatsApp bud.

Comment

• A little more done today. I mean a little. Got the front tubs masked off ready for seam sealer. I got the passenger side done and sealed up but when I went back to the drivers side my tapes are soaked. Ill add its pissing down today. A quick inspection and as Jim has previously said there more than a drain pipe needed. Ill weld where he's used denso tape. I've done quite well catching the drip I think. Activ will upload pics.

Last edited by Activ8; 28 March 2023, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Looks great Neil. Getting very close to paint

Comment

• It was watching the scuttle tray contents drip out of the weep holes in the front sills that really motivated me to act in the end.

As I see it Neil, the challenge with welding up the gaps on the scuttle tray lip is one of doing so sufficiently accurately, that the front wings still fit, yet fit snugly against the new metal. You would need to repeatedly fit the wings to check this as you progress, which is a major reason why I went for the Denso tape bodge option instead. No burnt paint damage to repair afterwards either.

Denso also allows you to easily extend the scuttle tray rearwards, almost up to the edge of the front doors, and this would be tricky to do by welding as it gets narrower the further rearwards you go - well it would be for me using gas bottles!

Fibre-glassing makes a third option, but I dislike handling the stuff.

It's raining heavily here as well - looks set in for the next few days too. At least this weather is good for our complexions, and next door's overhanging Magnolia Tree is poised to blossom once it finishes. Bring it on.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveT4Pembs View Post
                      Looks great Neil. Getting very close to paint
                      I was hoping for this weekend but I think the rain will beat me. Its meant to be on all week

Comment

• Yea Jim i always thought putting a drain in would be more than adequate but on seeing it pouring in from the scuttle today I'm converted to your idea of blocking the gaps.
                        I'll still weld as opposed to denso. I'm lucky enough I've still work to do on the wings anyway as I've went from early weld on to later bolt on. But using weld on wings lol. I've still a bit welding to do to make this work and it alone will involve a lot of on/off with the wings. Ill catch the drain and scuttle at this point. It'll be under a cover till then.

Comment

• I totally disagree, gallons of paint in the inner wings then as many gaps as possible to let the water out, drain tubes only take a fraction of the moisture away, total waste of effort in my book.

Comment

• Neil, your doing a fantastic job there mate.

Comment

• Seconded.....

Comment

• I agree with you aswell Si. Agree with you both.
                                There's no way in the world of sealing the wing against any water getting in. But helping it have an easy exit is the key I think.
                                I'll be fitting a drain on the scuttle, any water that exits without hitting the wing at all is a bonus! And I won't seal the wing in to allow any water that does get through to drain out hopefully quickly. Try and get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                                X