No announcement yet.

The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK a bit more thought before I fix it down for good then.

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      "Remember to look up at the stars and now down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”
      Professor Stephen Hawking
      "He's looking inside himself and what he sees there is darkness, black and deep desires. Stars hide your fires, he says; he wants both to be unseen, for those desires and thoughts and imaginings to be invisible (perhaps even to him); they're not fit to be brought to light."

Macbeth

Comment

• Originally posted by fifet4 View Post
        OK a bit more thought before I fix it down for good then.

Urgh. I’m having flashbacks now. Think of it like a new CH install mate. You need to know what they want the system to do and all the features before you can start designing and installing it. It’s very much like this when doing the interior of a van. Don’t fit or insulate anything until you know exactly what features you want as if you don’t you’ll be going backwards to fit some things.

I found when I did ours that you can’t just think about and fit one thing, you have to carefully plan it and it’s nearly always involves either doing or planning other aspects. It’s actually irritating as fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Urgh. I’m having flashbacks now. Think of it like a new CH install mate. You need to know what they want the system to do and all the features before you can start designing and installing it. It’s very much like this when doing the interior of a van. Don’t fit or insulate anything until you know exactly what features you want as if you don’t you’ll be going backwards to fit some things.

I found when I did ours that you can’t just think about and fit one thing, you have to carefully plan it and it’s nearly always involves either doing or planning other aspects. It’s actually irritating as fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
          Thats why ours was stretch carpet,airbed, coolbox cooker, head west.

Comment

• Sadly no comma before west otherwise it would be a winning layout.
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• I think I'm just gonna wing it. The floor isn't fixed down yet. And I won't fix it down until I know whats all going in. I think ill be going backwards quite a lot. But its hardly the first time with my van.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post

Thats why ours was stretch carpet,airbed, coolbox cooker, head west.
                I think ours might be like this for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                  Sadly no comma before west otherwise it would be a winning layout.
                  Hahaha, well spotted UNCLE Arf!

Comment

• Done a little to the van over the weekend. Ill pop some pics up so Si has something to read. Feel free to skip cos its nothing exciting!
                    My sliding door has been dropping off its runner. This is my fault as it was 1 of my very first repairs on the t4 and I had to fabricate a big part of the step. Obviously my fabrication wasn't good enough.. in my defence there wasn't much steel left to make a template from so I had to improvise on what I thought it should be like.
                    So I've opened the step up for some repairs. First job is the runner. My mate chopper had 2 of these step runners made up from stainless steel. I got his spare off him. i had to adapt it slightly to suit my previous fabrication to the step. Now it can't twist. next the upper rail where the roller runs. All I could find in the scrap bin was some shelving supports. It suited the profile so I went with it. obviously a bit c section would've been ideal but I didn't have any, skint, so sometimes you've to make do with what you've got. I spent a bit of time making it solid 1 piece. then I welded it in. With a spot weld at the opposite end cos this was the only way I could fix it in. then after testing 100 times to make sure its opening and closing ok i welded it all back up. and thats where I'm at. Its not pretty or perfect but it works! I'm at the van this morning but its blowing a gale. If the wind dies down I'm hoping to finish all the welding on the step.

Comment

• Looks OK to me.
                      Keep pushing on.
                      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Another job off the list mate

Comment

• It's a tricky one to do.

Comment

• Now that the runners working ok I got the step welded back together. Not the best welds by any stretch.
                            And thats all I did today. Didnt even bother buffing the welds back. It was pretty windy and oh so cold. I've been sniffling the whole way through.

Comment

• I've been doing a fair bit interior prep over the last few weeks getting it ready to respray inside.
                              I've sanded all rusty spots and blemishes and given a few coats of rust treatment.
                              Ive went over previous welds with bridging filler after being advised to use it from a panel beater mate. Then cataloyed bits over that.
                              I invested in a cheap orbital sander today. £27 with change from homebase. Wish I'd bought it ages ago!
                              I've got underseal to mask off and put on, the roof to re-sand and rust treat after the winters condensation. I'm hoping to have this done through the week so I can get paint on over the weekend. Its all weather depending because although I'm spraying the interior ill still need doors/tailgate etc open.
                              I'm just gonna use aerosols because tbh i can't afford to get a compressor quite yet. I've found cheap aerosols from toolstation at around £6 a 400ml tin. Paints paint is my thinking!
                              I'm just going for matt black inside. I'm still undecided what bits will get stretch carpet. Or if ill use it st all. If I don't there will be metal exposed. The matt black will also act as an undercoat/primer for the ultraviolet colour for any exposed bits.

It won't let me upload pics from the app. Sorry.

Comment

• U getting there mate, crack on, nearly there. The pics on the app is a hit and miss, probably work's tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X