The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
    Na man, hate boiler suits etc. My movements feel restricted in them. Ive 100s of work clothes. All my good clobber just ends up work stuff eventually. Ive still got t shirts ive had since i was a teenager I wear for work. Welding jumpers look like I still smoke soapbar with all the hotrock burns. Im not much 1 for ppe at al tbh. Hate gloves unless essential. But maybe I should change my ways cos that was a close 1.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s
    Nah - feck that, your doing it right, clothes get downgraded to garage and then rags, a few close calls just makes you focus. I rarely use thick gloves but always have nitriles on, my hands used to be constantly engrained black, skin dry and I became sensitised to swarfega so could use that to clean my hands, been using nitrile gloves for about 25 years now. Normally a single pair will last a hole session of spannering.

Comment

• I attack my whole hands with a nail brush if they are ingrained with dirt. Black Central heating water is 1 of the worst. Ive to be careful with stuff like swarfega cos ive really sensitive skin. Liquid soaps irritate it, I pretty much stick to dove. Pink bar if available. Ive got mechanic mates who's hands are always black. He's usually got the nitrile glove ring round his wrist but that's it. Ive often wondered about a mechanics sex life... theres no danger my Mrs would let me stoke her fire with hands like that.

Comment

• I try and use the gloves as often as I can. When they first came in in the early 90's my mate Smudge took the piss "you don't need them gloves you Nancy boy". Then in about 2001 the had a bout of tattor cancer, hes now one bollock down on the rest of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
          I attack my whole hands with a nail brush if they are ingrained with dirt. Black Central heating water is 1 of the worst. Ive to be careful with stuff like swarfega cos ive really sensitive skin. Liquid soaps irritate it, I pretty much stick to dove. Pink bar if available. Ive got mechanic mates who's hands are always black. He's usually got the nitrile glove ring round his wrist but that's it. Ive often wondered about a mechanics sex life... theres no danger my Mrs would let me stoke her fire with hands like that.

Yep - that’s the way I do it. Nail brush and mean it. Swarfega is okay but I find washing up liquid and sugar to be the best. I’ve found myself wearing nitrile gloves more and more over the last 12 months but they get on my tits as they rip a lot.

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

• They make my hands sweat

Comment

• I'm a double glover - if the outer one rips then there's another one underneath. Leaned that trick working with epoxy resin on surfboards when the catalyst is about to kick and your hands are covered in fibreglass fluff. any progress on the bus, fife? mines kind of stalled and all the wet weekends are hindering the painting

Comment

• We are now entering the stalled project season...................................

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  We are now entering the stalled project season...................................
                  Ain’t that the truth

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                    We are now entering the stalled project season...................................
                    Mines stalled a long time ago. Mike I haven't done anything for weeks. Either got money and no time, or got time but no money. The 2 rarely combine. I had the floor cut soaking in citric acid for weeks and weeks till I could get round to it, but checked it the other day and its empty. Dunno how it can suddenly leak after weeks like but ill need to get the puncture repair kit out and patch it. The floor cuts as rusty as ever again. 1 step forward, 2 back.

Comment

• This afternoon I addressed the rust under the side sliding door runner. The aim is to at least get the sliding door back on and operational before winter kicks in. 2 out of 4 holes were rusted out and needed patches welding in. 2 just needed cleaning up wi the finger sander. Forgot the after pic.

Comment

• More done this afternoon. First here's the 2 patches from the other day. Still need finger sanded and filled.
                        Today was sliding door, looked ok on this side but on closer inspection with the knot wheel its no.
                        repair patch made

And welded in. Again Still need to finger sand. Forgot to lift belts from home.

Next the other side. Decided to do this in a few smaller pieces instead of trying to form a big bit. The bottom corner was completely rotted out. Repair piece made, took a bit of guesswork.
                        In place. Note the about 5mm gap at the bottom. This patch took about 3hrs to knock up so decided to roll with it.
                        Welded in. I cut a thin strip of metal to fill the 5mm gap and Welded each side. Seemed to work.
                        and cleaned up. Still to finger sand. Should hopefully get the door done and on tomorrow.

Comment

• Well done thats great news and great work. Keep it going.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Cheers activ

Comment

• Hi. Fife I have collected shocks. How do you plan to fit front legs to t4

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                                Hi. Fife I have collected shocks. How do you plan to fit front legs to t4
                                Great news. Thanks so much again. They not for the t4. Theyr for the golf. Ill WhatsApp you my address tomorrow

Last edited by Fife t4; 8 October 2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X