Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zed. View Post
    What about mounting a pair of smaller intercoolers (like Audi rs4???) in the area below the headlights with a bridging pipe accross the lower-front of the rad behind the grille?
    2 smaller coolers having more effective surface area than a large single?
    Also uses the 'dead' frontal area mostly forgotten

Rich.
    I had my original cooler across the rad, but want to avoid having anything across there as it makes it a right pain to put it into service mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by lawanderson View Post
      I had my original cooler across the rad, but want to avoid having anything across there as it makes it a right pain to put it into service mode.

Or if you manage to find / fit aircon or climatronic, you'd have the condenser rad there [emoji854]

Rich.

Bodger extrodinare...

'95 T4 1.9tdi etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Zed. View Post
        Or if you manage to find / fit aircon or climatronic, you'd have the condenser rad there [emoji854]

Rich.

That as well!

Comment

Law - eBay:

Comment

Is that a blue mesh you have in there?

Comment

I want your garage

Rich.
              Bodger extrodinare...

'95 T4 1.9tdi etc....

Comment

Is that a blue mesh you have in there?
                Shhhhh! Its off the front of my old m3, been painted at some point and frosted the inside of the mesh, looking at it front on its black. Since then I've given it some love with a rattle can! I was feeling a bit burnt out at the time and just threw on the first grille i found in the shed. Its one of these:

Comment

Definitely not judging, it's actually quite a good idea. Finding the right grille to go down there is proving to be a bit of a minefield.

Comment

**copied and pasted from my build thread elsewhere on the net....**

Hi Gents

The reason sounds like a diesel is it turns out the VR wires were the wrong way round so although it worked it was firing at the wrong time and it was idling at about 450 so was only just holding. As soon as I touch the throttle it died so I knew something else was wrong.

After swapping the VR wires I had to start from scratch with the map to get it to start and now is running way too rich but I haven't fitted the O2 sensor yet so don't know how far it is out. Still had the problem with the the throttle so swapped the TPS wires round and boom! problem solved it sounds 100% better now even with no exhaust it is incredibly quiet.

I now have it starting and running so tomorrow after fixing a burst pipe at mothers I will soldering up the last of the loom and getting it wrapped. I also need to sort the wire from the starter as at the mo I am I just touching it on a live wire. I did try wiring it up to the ignition barrel but when I cranked it, it pulled all the power from the ecu so got to sort that out so we can start it of the key.

Once that is sorted I need to figure out a way of getting a signal from the speed sensor to the clocks as none of the old wiring is there apart from the light circuit. Grr!

I need to put the front end back together, mount the intercooler and sort the boost pipes so they don't pop off as soon as they get some pressure and want them nice and neat unlike at the mo.

I have also noticed that bodge it garage threw it together so quick they destoryed the drive shaft gator so got that to fix and hopefully the driveshafts are actually fitted properly.

Theres a few bits of pipe to order, a boost controller, few gaskets and a wideband o2 sensor but I am almost done spending Jon's money so he will be pleased.

Hopefully I'll get the downpipe built this week meaning I can fit the o2 sensor when it arrives.

Other than that I think it is just putting things back together, getting rid of wires I don't need to tidy the engine bay and fitting his bilstein shocks.

The beauty of the wideband o2 is I can see exactely how rich or lean I am running so we don't need a rolling road to tune it we can literally just go for a drive ill get Jon to hold at certain rev ranges and ill sit in the passenger seat tuning the map. We'll probably set up three maps. A Daily map, a fast road map and track/drag map. To change map all that will be needed is a turn on the boost controller knob and save the relivent map to the ecu. This is the beauty of Megasquirt combined with wideband o2. It means the engine bay will be very tidy as there are very few wires.

It won't be at this meet but definately the next one. Unless there is a major hickup it will definately be at the next one!! Hardest part now is going to be getting the VRS clocks working. I've got the wires for tacho and fuel just got to figure out speedo and maybe some other sensors but need to find a VRS clocks wiring diagram first.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a sexy photo and video of Jon's van looking like a van, running smoother and my drive looking less like a breakers yard

Comment

Audi A4 grill fits in the bottom

Don't forget to join us at Vanwest and Busfest this year

Comment

Glad to hear it's starting to get there Jon!!

Comment

Definitely not judging, it's actually quite a good idea. Finding the right grille to go down there is proving to be a bit of a minefield.
                          Polo GTI also looks like it would fit. Or as Dan says, A4. Im guessing a B6 S-line would work.

Comment

That's an A4

Don't forget to join us at Vanwest and Busfest this year

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_exposed_intercooler_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	257330

To start with this is more the look im going for to start with....

Comment

Mk2 Caddy van grille, fits properly (curves match) and it looks like it was meant to be there - ok, it's subtle and I know T4'ers don't often do subtle, but sleepers are cool - the more you know the less you need to show.

Your project is coming along well, you wont regret going for a front mount instead of the heat soaked top mount - mine has noticeably more stomp now when you get over sixty and the air is really flowing over the cooler
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 26 January 2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X