Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01/11/15

Its been quite a while since I updated this thread to say the least. Its not that I have forgotten about it, its not that I don't want to. Its just that I keep hoping I am going to post on here one day celebrating the fact that my van is back and running fine..but for now... its not.

So, after my last post. I got in touch with the mechanic and kept getting excuses, and excuses and... more excuses. So I got to a point where I had enough. I told him I would be up on a particular date and that one way or the other it was leaving with me. I was either going to drive it away or drag it.

I have a good friend who runs a warehousing and distribution company (along with a fleet of awesome LT35's!). So I arranged for him to get a trailer and his favourite van and to meet me there. All geared up and ready for the day I was getting ready, until he told me the day before his driver had just written off the trailer. So, being a man of my word I drove down there on the day and found my van. The mechanic sent me a text message about 15 minutes before I arrived saying he had to go out and do a few bits so wouldn't be there. I was slightly disappointed as I expected to have a bit of a showdown with him over what had gone on. Anyway, I found the van parked up outside.. It looked vaguely like my van but there was as much in the back as there was in the engine bay. Being the determined sort, I rang around and found a towing company that would move my van within a radius for £50. So half an hour later, they had it on the back of their lorry and I sent it to my Grandma's house to put on her driveway.

Then a couple of weeks my friend had got hold of a shiny new trailer. He moved it back to near my house so that I could work out what to do with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12067864_10207706157551890_996859218_n_zpskh8gghiq.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	257292

Name:	12083922_10207706157791896_40208081_n_zpswxxejbor.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	257293

Name:	12087500_10207706157831897_415387141_n_zpsj91op0sq.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	257294

So.... I'm now left with half a van, in an uncertain state of repair or disrepair, I was starting to think about selling it and going over to the dark side. For the money that I had lost I didn't want to throw good money after bad. I also have a good friend who loves to play around with cars. He had just rebuilt his mini and was familiar with my van after having spent lots of time with me working on it. He loves my van.... so he nagged me.... and nagged me...and kept on nagging me about letting him rebuild it until eventually despite my fears I agreed.

His wife was overjoyed ( ) when it arrived on their driveway! We started going through what it had and didn't have. I discovered all the paperwork for the engine proving history/servicing, the clocks and numerous other things missing. My friend (who I am sure will post on here soon, and will ask at some point to post a detailed write up of what he has done) took it apart. It turns out that the work done by the previous guy appears to be ok. He has had attention to detail in certain places, but got lost in the wiring and stuff from what we can see.

So Jon (im not referring to myself in the third person, he is called Jon to) has been hard at work fabricating some custom parts, tinkering and most importantly.... spending LOTS of my money. The mad monkey is hoping for some serious horsepower out of the engine.

I help out as much as I can, but the level of work involved is beyond my skill (none)..So when this van hits the road.... I'm going to owe Jon more than just mere beer tokens. So far, he has fallen in love with my van so much he has bought one of his own (except his runs!). So I have donated my banded steels to him....

As for the original mechanic, I am currently chasing him through the small claims court for my money back and damages. I will let you know how it all goes.

Comment

15/12/15

Thanks, the whole thing has been a bit of a mission! I am hoping my friend who has it at the moment will post up on here at some point some of the more technical stuff because to be quite honest the wiring and stuff is beyond me!

Don't let my tale put you off, these vans are really reliable considering age/mileage. I just think I was unlucky. You have to bear in mind as well, I had the van for a few years by the time it blew up, and as I am sure I pointed out it was there for my 30th, my proposal, my wedding.... I won't deny, this has put a massive strain on my finances and patience what with the stress it has caused, but I am hoping it will all be worth it in the end!

Comment

That brings us up to date...

Comment

So, My friend and I have been working on my van on and off over the last few weeks. We have been working on it as much as we can given the weather, daylight etc. The good news is, we are SO CLOSE to firing it up for the first time I can almost taste it! Don't get me wrong, its not exactly going to be off to the MOT station this week, but getting it running is half the battle, then it will be time for final fit and finish.

In the last few weeks my friend has been wiring in a new megasquirt ECU, fabricating some parts to make it all fit and doing what seems like miles of wiring!

Comment

A picture of the van as it was stood earlier today

Name:	20160114_131949_zpsxqoshzv6.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	257295

It goes to show how long the van has been off the road, check out my expiry dates!!

Name:	20160114_142019_zpsifllpmzh.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	257296

Comment

Seems like your getting there!

Comment

IT RUNS!!!*

albeit with no exhaust, fueling to sort out and a lot of tiding up to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9thLHyYgO0

Comment

Originally posted by JonR6 View Post
                  IT RUNS!!!*

albeit with no exhaust, fueling to sort out and a lot of tiding up to do!
                  Looking good!

BONGO FURY - 222bhp - 390lb/ft - 16.7064 1/4
                  Are you quick enough for the T17.club?

Comment

nice one you must be made up!

Comment

Where'd you source that intercooler from? I'm in the market for a new one to sit in that location...

Also, what have you in mind re. a grille/ducting?

Comment

Well done Jon that's good news!!!!!

Comment

It's great to see someone who will not be beaten. You have put a great deal of work into your motor and to throw it all away would have been such a shame. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by lawanderson View Post
                            Where'd you source that intercooler from? I'm in the market for a new one to sit in that location...

Also, what have you in mind re. a grille/ducting?
                            Sorry for not getting back to you, been a busy few days at work etc. I bought the intercooler via Facebook as it turned out someone on one of the van forums was getting rid of a nice big chunky one for only about £50. Its going to be mounted to the bottom of the slam panel. I can't afford a new bumper yet so we cut the standard bumper up so that it will get air flow. When time and funds allow, I may look at an audiosport front bumper...

Comment

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

No worries. I'm a long way off intercooling solutions, so I'm just seeing how others have done it then ways that I have in mind. I'm not going in front of the rad again, and I don't think top mount is really going to work, given that I don't have an oil filler neck. Think I might need to photoshop a grille in the front bumper to see if the look works for me; I'm not too keen on the audiosport bumper just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s mobile app

Comment

What about mounting a pair of smaller intercoolers (like Audi rs4???) in the area below the headlights with a bridging pipe accross the lower-front of the rad behind the grille?
                                2 smaller coolers having more effective surface area than a large single?
                                Also uses the 'dead' frontal area mostly forgotten

Rich.
                                Bodger extrodinare...

'95 T4 1.9tdi etc....

Comment

Working...
                                X