No announcement yet.

Valdi the Value Veedub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. Poptops are the way to go. Fixed hitop has limits on beach front car park and fuel consumption

Comment

Took the centre vents apart on Sunday, found the vents had supremely gunky and degraded gaskets, so made rough new ones from thick 3M felt tape cut to shape and slipped over (took stickyness off with isopropyl). Fashoned a temporary fix for the directional vanes that were damaged by phone holder and missing metal bit - I've a set of scrapped vents on the way to replace right vent properly & scavenge other bits that might come in handy. Also scavenged parts from Passat dash for fixing lighting.

Saturday; replaced both oil switches, re-drilled left belly pan bolt holes to M10 and tapped, lovely new bolts (hex, but nice wide heads, fit great).

Also this weekend; very quickly re-upholstered cab roof, which had been hanging down and full of holes since I got the van, cleaned all glove boxes and cubby holes, inner doors, tucked some wires, tightened earth nut behind main glovebox which I found loose, covered damaged dash panel in felt, secured it and fitted new phone holder, and removed crud from door drainage holes to help them drain better now door seal is better fitted and they're seeing flow.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jennralize; 28 March 2022, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Simply fantastic, great to read and stay inspired by.....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

Exactly the sort of job I would never bother doing on my own but great to see it being done - excellent stuff. Please keep posting it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
          #vanlife

Comment

Nice build! That’s a long list of stuff that’s been done, I feel that pain!

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement all!

Mega week this week, so too tired to do much, especially after going to Diggerland for my friend's 38th... Did add some carpets, though, something I've wanted since forever.
              Last edited by Jennralize; 2 April 2022, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Annoying rattle on passenger side fixed. Foam had totally degraded by door handle, leaving the wire tapping the door body. Had some foam pads sat about, so stuck one on velcro sticky tape (easier to swap when it falls apart, then) and put that behind - rattle gone. I'll get something more durable when I can.

Comment

Finally got round to changing the scuffed up 18in alloys that were on the van when I got it (still have them if anyone wants) for 16in steels, with Firestone Roadhawks (225 55 16). Very happy with the result - ride comfort has definitely been improved!

What do you think?

Also replaced the sliding door and tailgate seals, re-wired the solar via a new gland, swapped to mppt and lifepo4 setup (rewired all rear), replaced front aux battery, rebuilt rear drum brakes with new drums, driver's side brake shield replaced, swapped out 5 old hoses, fixed bonnet catch and fitted security cameras front and rear internal.

Thinking front shocks next, but probably not til after Skye in April, as I need a break!

Comment

Great work.
                    I like the rims and stance.

Comment

Still chasing down cooling issues, I replaced the engine thermostat with a genuine VW one, which has helped, also somehow found a new old stock of the rad thermostat for the fan covers, so whacked that in there, too.

Bleed screw still fits in pipe hole but is threaded, so ordered a new pipe there. Fan control unit seems to be buggered, as only drivers side fan runs, on full but not on low, with no fans running on low (tested by shorting rad plug, as well as getting up to temp), so replacement coming for that from Autodoc. Temps more sensible after efforts yesterday, but still hovering around the shorter line above middle most of the time, thanks to no low speed fans in Manchester traffic.

Put together a dc-dc step-up switch power supply for the Show 8 I picked up cheap, which fits nicely in place of the super bodged cctv screen/Roku/speaker/monitor arm setup I had in there before.

Visiting friend in Windemere this weekdend - fingers crossed Valdi has no issues
                      Last edited by Jennralize; 24 March 2023, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Good job! Enjoy an uneventful (Just T4) weekend!

Comment

Thanks, fingers crossed!

Just undid the bodge the previous owner did to replace dash lights. Bluetack, straw hats and resistors soldered to the track...

The new bulbs were terrible, just loose wires in sockets, so had to solder the wires in to keep illumination steady, but I can actually see all the dials at last (in simulated darkness) which is nice.

Also re-soldered the circuit board from the Passat dash I bought for parts and swapped out, as a full set of bulbs in old one caused circuitry to lighting strip to burn out. So thankful for scavenged parts, today!

Comment

Out at Beinglas, on way up to Skye - my friend just took this pic from her tent

Comment

Shes keen! Still a bit cold for tent camping yet. Although it was braw and sunny yesterday.

Sent from Neils wheels using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X