Project - Deutschland22.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
    Hi. Good luck with the repair. But I think you are using the wrong steering fluid if it is red.. You need to use chf. As you have the green cap on the resiovior. Or blow the seals in. the rack
    Good spot, I'll get it swapped out. I'm going to put a new pas pump and alternator on it anyway.

Not much movement at the moment, I'm struggling to find anyone to take it on although to be fair I haven't pushed too hard as work has gone manic at the moment.

Just collecting parts at the moment, I'm in the middle of knocking my garage down ready to build a new one so the timings all really bad. I might take out the dashboard and possibly the interior to aid with the repairs its just storage is a problem at the moment.

Watch this space, its nearly been up for sale a few times but I'm not giving up.

Comment

Hi. How are you doing with collecting the parts. Are you stuck for anything

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
        Hi. How are you doing with collecting the parts. Are you stuck for anything
        The big one at the moment proving the most difficult is an inner wing body cut.

Most private/amateur breakers don't want the hassle of cutting up a shell, Cali campers have plenty available including a mint looking red one with enough scuttle panel to repair mine but its a good 260 mile 9 hour round trip.

I've just been speaking tonight to a guy who is breaking a few, he's letting he have one but I need to cut it out myself. So I'm in the process of sorting that, I've only an estate car but I don't think it'll go in the back of that!

Comment

Hi. Fold the seats down. You should get it in there. Have you thought of travelling to a body shop that will do it. I know some. But I am a long way from you

Comment

Wow has it really been two years since I update!!

Lots of changes in the last 12 months or so, still no T4...

BUT! it has a new home,

Taken years off my life and added many grey hairs, plenty of arguments later and a promised 8 week schedule that's now not far off 12 months and its still not completed.

Bit of before...

​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 10.27.18 AM (3).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	177.3 KB ID:	361511

And after..

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 19.07.03.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	555.2 KB ID:	361509

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 10.27.18 AM (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	156.8 KB ID:	361510

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 10.27.18 AM (2).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	208.2 KB ID:	361512

So what about the T4 I hear you say, while the diggers moved in my next door neighbors very kindly let me I parked the van on their drive while they were away for 3 months. I was contemplating selling but once a certain little girl fell in love with it I had to bite the bullet and it was shipped off to the body shop to be repaired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 10.40.37 AM.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	361514

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 10.40.38 AM.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	361515

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 19.33.19.jpeg Views:	33 Size:	454.6 KB ID:	361293​
            Before sending her I away I decided best to change the oil, I was concerned that it had been sat for so long potentially having water in the sump.

Unfortunately I was correct..

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 19.44.59.jpeg Views:	31 Size:	221.4 KB ID:	361294

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 19.33.19 (4).jpeg Views:	30 Size:	318.7 KB ID:	361295

I am lucky that I work in the service industry so have access to vast quantities of engine oil lol, I ran a cleaning solution through it and changed the oil and filter 5 times before It was running clear'ish. I'll keep and eye on it and will service it again when it comes home but I'll get onto that in a bit.

So the Van landed in its new home last June, with building work going on I was obviously in no rush to get it back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 19.33.19 (1).jpeg Views:	28 Size:	180.8 KB ID:	361296

Although I had heard nothing by the new year and was a little disappointed to discovered when I asked for an update just after Christmas that it had not been touched. I was promised progress in January and that is what happened.

New inner wing going in,

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.00.30 (2).jpeg Views:	31 Size:	645.3 KB ID:	361297
            Last edited by 89Rallye; 3 April 2024, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Prep and primer..

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.56.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	361299

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.56 (1).jpeg
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	361300

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.56 (3).jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	361301

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.56 (5).jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	361302

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.57 (2).jpeg
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	361303

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.55 (3).jpeg
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	361304

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.56 (2).jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	361305

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.57 (1).jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	361306

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.57.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	361307

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.03.56 (4).jpeg
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	361308

Hopefully now not far off final paint,

I now have to start collecting parts to re-commission, since the vans been off the road now around 8 years everything is going to want going through.

Also discovered that the roof tent is rotten so that's going to need replacing.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 20.22.21.jpeg
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	361309

So I need a list of parts and suggestions from people for remedial work.

Engine service, glow plugs, timing belts filters
              Ball joints, bushes/bearings etc where required
              Full brake service, including fluids and probably all lines.
              Exhaust I think has had it, so if anyone's selling anything nice stainless and suitable let me know.
              Tow bar, again if anyone is selling a decent one (although I have kept a detachable one off my old Skoda I may try and make work)

Will want all the interior electrics going through and maybe some upgrades
              Night heater installing and piping in
              maybe try and remake, re-wrap the hideous blue interior cupboards.

I did say I was going to keep it completely stock but I'm not sure I can stick with the steels and wheel trims!

Comment

Good to see you are making progress. I'm not sure what you really mean by a 'list of parts' and 'suggestions' - might be easier if you broke things down into specifics?

Originally posted by 89Rallye View Post
                ​
                Before sending her I away I decided best to change the oil, I was concerned that it had been sat for so long potentially having water in the sump.

Unfortunately I was correct..

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 19.44.59.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	361294

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 19.33.19 (4).jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	361295
                What size is that Pepsi bottle - is that a large amount of water drained from your sump? Yikes- where has it originated from?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
                  Good to see you are making progress. I'm not sure what you really mean by a 'list of parts' and 'suggestions' - might be easier if you broke things down into specifics?
                  Sorry, haven't written that clearly.

Basically I'd like to start gathering parts for recommissioning the engine and running gear, ready for when it returns to me all painted and looking nice. Since she has been off the road now close to 10 years, having never ran a T4 just like a little insight on those T4 specific jobs I should be looking at doing.

I have to resist the urge to pull all the subframes out and start powder coating etc as I have a history of this (and many people roll their eyes when I suggest it) and then a 'quick' recommission turns into full blown restoration.

What size is that Pepsi bottle - is that a large amount of water drained from your sump? Yikes- where has it originated from?
                  Unfortunately in the accident the engine oil filler neck was damaged, the van was always dry stored 99% of the time I've had it when I lost the storage I did have it parked on my drive for a bit and of course I don't know where it was sat prior to me purchasing it.

Luckily with work I have a rather unlimited supply of engine oil, so I had drained the engine oil three times and also ran a cleaner through it along with filters. All I can really do at this stage is pray and keep the oil changes very regular.
                  Last edited by 89Rallye; 3 April 2024, 11:00 AM.

Comment

You appear to already know what you are doing, so I don't think I can help much. I recommend that you read TommyP's and S49's various Build Threads documented on here: The Caveman Chronicles; Rosy the Red Wreck; Blindfaith2....

I've got my own suspension bushes and ball joints that need replacing - the consensus is to avoid pattern parts here, and use Lemforder who are OEM. If you decide to fit your own wishbone bushes you'll benefit from access to a press. Some of the bushes need careful alignment, as per your manuals. Use red rubber grease as a lubricant to assist instalment and discourage the rubber from degrading & subsequent cracking.

I see that you are based just outside Liverpool

Is it a four or five pot engine? You are more likely to get responses if you break down your questions into more specific and bite-sized topics?

Comment

You appear to already know what you are doing, so I don't think I can help much. I recommend that you read TommyP's and S49's various Build Threads documented on here: The Caveman Chronicles; Rosy the Red Wreck; Blindfaith2....

I've got my own suspension bushes and ball joints that need replacing - the consensus is to avoid pattern parts here, and use Lemforder who are OEM. If you decide to fit your own wishbone bushes you'll benefit from access to a press. Some of the bushes need careful alignment, as per your manuals. Use red rubber grease as a lubricant to assist instalment and discourage the rubber from degrading & subsequent cracking.

I see that you are based just outside Liverpool

Is it a four or five pot engine? You are more likely to get responses if you break down your questions into more specific and bite-sized topics?
                      I'll take a look, I have read through a few but haven't been here for a long time. I guess forums as we all used to know and love are dying off with the modern social media platforms.

I am as close to the Liverpool border as you can get, 2 mins from the Ford/Jaguar Hale Wood plant.

Engine is an ACV (from memory!) 5 cylinder and I would imagine given the history its completely stock just like everything else.

I'll have to get onto marketplace for a decent press, been on my wanted list for many years.

Comment

It's a five pot so you will have the vacuum pump hanging down the front of the engine.

They are notorious for filling up with oil as it runs down from the base of the cambox under gravity, the surface being sloped, and it has nowhere to go....

If rain water has been getting into your cambox then the VP will undoubtable contain some too

https://just-t4s.co.uk/forum/technic...ne-rebuilt-one

Comment

I say this because I had something similar - I had the bonnet and cambox cover off, and left it with a plastic cover, well tucked in, while I nipped to the shops. Seemingly out of nowhere there arrived a dramatic local storm, with strong gusts of wind and torrential rain - resulting in many litres of water pouring in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WindRain.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	361536
                          I drained the sump etc etc, but didn't think about the VP.

Some hundreds of miles later the VP started tapping increasingly loudly. When I eventually replaced it, I didn't notice any water present in the old pump, and anyway if there had been, it might easily have evaporated through engine heat??? Dunno. Might have been a co-incidence, but it surely couldn't have helped the pump?

If your van was parked at an angle you may have got away with it? Pop the cambox cover and assess the likelihood of where the water will have run? You'll also be able to assess the condition of your camshaft seals at the same time, and see if you need to order some for when you replace your timing belt? Tommy advises using Elring seals - they are handed wrt shaft rotation.
                          Last edited by Jim24; 5 April 2024, 10:12 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I say this because I had something similar - I had the bonnet and cambox cover off, and left it with a plastic cover, well tucked in, while I nipped to the shops. Seemingly out of nowhere there arrived a dramatic local storm, with strong gusts of wind and torrential rain - resulting in many litres of water pouring in.

Click image for larger version Name:	WindRain.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	361536
                            I drained the sump etc etc, but didn't think about the VP.

Some hundreds of miles later the VP started tapping increasingly loudly. When I eventually replaced it, I didn't notice any water present in the old pump, and anyway if there had been, it might easily have evaporated through engine heat??? Dunno. Might have been a co-incidence, but it surely couldn't have helped the pump?

If your van was parked at an angle you may have got away with it? Pop the cambox cover and assess the likelihood of where the water will have run? You'll also be able to assess the condition of your camshaft seals at the same time, and see if you need to order some for when you replace your timing belt? Tommy advises using Elring seals - they are handed wrt shaft rotation.
                            Thanks Jim,

See this was the exact sort of knowledge I was hoping to learn, something else to add to the list of checks.

The Van has been stood 8 years in various yards, lockups, garages and my garden so there's a good chance it'll be the same.

I am under pressure to get out and use it this year but I don't want to rush anything with the re-commissioning but I do have history of taking things too far and before you know it I'll be mirror polishing the gearbox

Comment

Working...
                            X