Alice? Who the f.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice? Who the f.......

So I named my second Alice, after the product of the umbrella corporation with the same name also from the resident evil franchise. It was either that or red Queen, as she's not red I figured I should go with Alice.
    ​​​​​​
    I also have some umbrella corporation metal badges that I was considering using on Alice but I'm still undecided about that.

So far we have established that Alice is a 1.9 turbo ABL (and missing an air box & correct intercooler setup) and she came with a sink!/cooker installed and a rock and roll bed.

Since owning Alice I have replaced the wheels for the white ones and added spacers, I've removed the kitchen unit as it was a converted piece of house hold furniture and very heavy. Also I have repaired (loose term) some of the front metal work (was slightly bent)

Stuff I have to do (or on order). ...
    Dash cam/reverse cam fitting.
    Elec windows
    Alarm
    Central locking
    Diesel heater
    Leisure battery
    1000w power inverter

Stuff needed to do (I don't have yet)
    Service (waiting for new year)
    Cam belt/water pump (waiting for new year)
    Intercooler/airbox reinstatement
    Units/kitchen/wardrobe
    Replace floor covering in rear(just not my style as it is)
    Wiring for leisure battery

While I still have my first t4 I've been pinching any missing or broken trims as well hoping to get her as complete as possible
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Marbles; 28 December 2020, 10:04 PM. Reason: Updated to do's

Originally posted by Marbles View Post
    Stuff I have to do (or on order). ...
    Dash cam/reverse cam fitting.​​​​​
    ​​​​​​
    I was looking at those rear view mirrors that have dash cam and rear view cam all in one unit, they look really good on eBay but I'm not sure - was looking at them for christmas last year, 12 months later I'm still undecided.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

I was looking at those rear view mirrors that have dash cam and rear view cam all in one unit, they look really good on eBay but I'm not sure - was looking at them for christmas last year, 12 months later I'm still undecided.
      I've gone for an auto-vox, it goes over the rear view mirror, but this one has the whole screen as an lcd not just a small square. As my rear windows are boarded up I can use this as a permanent simulated rear view mirror. It also records front view and does night vision (rear camera only) with the addition of reversing guides when in reverse and GPS (so maybe can be a satnav too? I'm not sure, but if it runs android then it definitely can). This does mean of course that I have to find a rear view mirror to fit the mount on the screen.

AUTO-VOX V5 Mirror Dash Cam 1080P Dual Dash Cam Front and Rear with Night Vision, Sepcial for RHD Cars, 9.35'' Full Touch Screen Rear View Mirror with Reversing Camera, Parking Mode, GPS Tracking

​​​​
      Last edited by Marbles; 27 December 2020, 12:39 AM.

Comment

The Autovox image on Amazon caught my eye back in November. It presented itself as more of a range finder or target locator in the open road scene!

Comment

I dont know why she’s leaving or where shes gonna go....

Comment

Been rushed off my feet because my boss keeps offering to pay me money if I work over time, but things are progressing...

So a quick update on Alice...

She has had her airbox reinstated with the correct connections, along with a full service and cambelt/water pump replaced.

She now sounds like a plucky little volkwagen should.

I now know (again not understanding turbos) that she does not have an intercooler as standard so that's gone. (someone may have said, but it's a lot to take in with everything else)

Three oil leaks have been found, all minor and unfortunately some welding to be done. But no matter, she's going to have a full underside repair and treatment over the next two weeks. (done in stages)

For now the engine and will have to wait for further unmodifications, (such as reinstating the egr - pipe aquired, yes I'm mad, but she will run as she should eventually)

Also the diesel heater and leisure setup goes in tomorrow.

Most of the work has or is being done by Colebrooke transporters in valley road Plymouth who are quite frankly bending over backwards to accommodate my chaotic life, which allows me to continue milking the overtime at work. Incredibly helpful guys.

So, so far... Thank you to everyone who has offered help and advice, I hope soon I can show more pics of the restored underside and other work.
            ​​​
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I would be inclined not to reinstate the egr as they really do run better without

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Marbles View Post
                (such as reinstating the egr - pipe aquired, yes I'm mad, but she will run as she should eventually)​
                No don't.

The egr is nothing to do with making the engine run the way it should, in fact it is just the opposite. Very few environ-mental measures enforced onto engines have a positive effect on the running of the engine or it's 'actual efficiency'

Imagine you connected a hosepipe from your poopchute into your mouth to reduce your emissions; then someone removed it - would you reinstate it?

Comment

So it would run worse with a fully working egr?

I do hear ya about environmental rubbish. Much environmental stuff does nothing for the environment.

I was under the impression that egr prevented or reduced pinking in the head and had something to do with preventing preignition. (in gasoline engines anyway, can't say about diesel) that's more why I was considering it.

But if it really will run worse then maybe I will reconsider.

Comment

The egr just pumps crap air back into the engine.
                    If you take the egr itself off and look inside I am betting its full of the crap from the exhaust,,, and if I right you will see why you don't reconnect it

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                      The egr just pumps crap air back into the engine.
                      He's right, but it's not even air, it's hot exhaust, so

A - It has little oxygen content
                      B - It is hot
                      C - It is dirty

Diesels like cold clean oxygen dense air.

Comment

My understanding is: A properly working EGR is supposed to increase combustion temperatures when they’re too low to burn the fuel correctly. A great idea. The issue is, they don’t work properly for very long at all and then as the guys say, they quickly end up throwing too much hot shitty exhaust fumes into the engine and decrease performance and efficiency.

I always rip them off myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                          My understanding is: A properly working EGR is supposed to increase combustion temperatures when they’re too low to burn the fuel correctly.
                          That's something I though was the case, but was not sure.

I do find warming her up is a challenge.
                          With sluggish performance when cold.

Turn the internal heater on and before long she's cold again. (I should point out that she recently had a full service)

Thank god the diesel heater is installed now (being electrialy connected today) I won't need the internal heating as much.

they fitted it under the drivers seat as someone on here suggested in another post.
                          Last edited by Marbles; 11 January 2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

We blanked off the EGR on the diesel Volvo 740 and 940's from new on Volvo's advice after the first diesel model we sold made more smoke after 3 weeks on the road than a Battle Cruiser at Jutland in 1916. Blank the fffing thing off and forget all about it.

Comment

It wasent ever designed for better running Greta's gran came up with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X