Franks build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franks build

Hey all. Was going to wait to start a build thread until a little more was done, as any work is currently being done on days off and in evening darkness so progress will be fairly slow, but figured what the hell i'll get it started now.

The van is a 2003 lwb 2.5tdi in a light grey colour and has already had some bits and pieces done, so can't take credit for those. Engine wise it's had a TMIC fitted, some different injectors and a tune and is running approxinately 140bhp (as told by previous owner, no proof but for a van it pulls ok). It's also been lowered a bit, not sure how much but i'm in 2 minds about raising it back to standard but time will tell.

When bought it came with some 17inch alloys and a VanX triple rear seat with seatbelts, neither I wanted so sold the alloys and ended up giving the seat away. Also came with side bars which arw currently up for grabs for free on here wink wink.

First thing I did was to remove the rear seats and brackets and pull the ply floor up just to check there was nothing nasty hidden underneath! Thankfully, all is solid just needing a good clean.

I'm in the process of hoarding all the bits needed to continue so this is where we are for now. I may jump the gun a little and start plugging all the nooks and crannies with insulation as this is a real time consumer. I'll post pics of all products used along the way. Plan is to be complete by March in time for the weather to start warming back up

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

All these threads go in fits and starts, especially as winter puts a bit of a stop to the project season even for us lucky enough to have a bit of indoor workshop space.Ours are lowered 50mm couldnt really go lower the state of the rural roads in the shire.
    Last edited by S49; 2 December 2020, 08:12 PM.

Comment

That looks a similar colour to the one i harvested parts from in the breakers by us.

Comment

It's a funny colour it's almost blue in certain light, but grey on the logbook and i'm assuming a factory colour as its the same colour underneath and under the ply floor/on the walls.

With the height I don't think it's that low although going down some of the lanes in the Gower near me it's already caught on the bumper once or twice, eek

Comment

Thanks for starting a thread, im certain you wont regret it.
          Dont worry about progress, as Si says, it comes on fits and starts. If I could give but one piece of advise it would be try before you buy. If you can test a layout before you commit, however you rig it up, then that is a good idea.
          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Looks tidy that. Pictures didnt show when first posted hence my staggered replies. Its air bed in the back for us at present, mind it seems a life time since summer 2019 and our trips to the Costa Del Borth.

Comment

Doesn't look lowered, sure it is not stock?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                Doesn't look lowered, sure it is not stock?
                I was parked next to another T4 the other day and it was about an inch or so lower wingmirror to wingmirror so nothing major but who knows. The previous owner said it was much lower but he raised it back upto sell but still seems to sit a little lower than standard.......unless the one I was next to was raised slightly haha

Comment

Like those alloys, I'm in two minds weather to ditch the side bars as well!!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Just T4s

Comment

Sold those already. Rial was the brand I think

Comment

So been out again today and started with insulating as I know from experience how time consuming this part can be.

Used Diall recycled plastic insulation from B&Q (£16 for a 6m roll). Using this as in theory, should it come into contact with any mositure, it won't soak it up unlike normal household loft insulation which is like a sponge.

Proceded to spend the last 2/3 hours stuffing all the nooks and gaps physically accessible to try and fill them up as best as possible. This is an area I find a lot of people leave out and it just results in large gaps in the insulation.

I was happy with my progress so far. Frank is due his MOT in a few weeks and I don't want to start putting the floor down or insulating larger side panels until it gets a clean bill of health. So at this point I was looking around and started to remove bits of sealant that were all around the edges of the arches where the floor was. This is when I discovered a little daylight staring back at me :[

To be fair it's very minimal compared to some vans i've seen and the other wheel arch is ok thankfully. So currently I'm booking it with my local garage to have the hole welded up, check for anything else hidden and then next on the list is going to be a good solid undercoat/waxoyl to protect it for the future.

In other news i'm also getting my daily driver Volvo sorted as it failed it's MOT (boo), but hopefully Sven the Swedish Sleigh will be back on the road very very soon :]

Last edited by CDT; 3 December 2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Is that the left rear arch? Had to do our blue one on that side to, sill aswell. Right side perfect. My guess its gets all the shit flown up from the ditch????

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          Is that the left rear arch? Had to do our blue one on that side to, sill aswell. Right side perfect. My guess its gets all the shit flown up from the ditch????
                          Yup that's exactly where the hole is. I'm surprised VW never fitted arch liners from the factory to prevent this! Hopefully being a later T4 I can catch the rust before it really gets any worse.

Comment

Ours is a P reg 1996. Also did the floor between the arch and the rear light cluster same side. Have a look at our "Operation Blindfaith A Winter Project" thread about page 15
                            Last edited by S49; 3 December 2020, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Sorry page 18.

Comment

Working...
                              X