No announcement yet.

Flash Gordon is alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the Bilt Hamber epoxy mastic Rob. Good stuff it seems!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
      What paint you using? Be careful not many paint sprayers live to be old even with all the proper ppe.
      2k clear coat, so yeah, I've read the warnings and some horror stories. Got a full air fed respirator, fed by my compressor which is outside and far from the garage.

It's amazing! Pure clean air, can't smell a thing of the paint. When I wear it and am only spraying cellulose and thinners and take it off the smell is overpowering in comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
        Using the Bilt Hamber epoxy mastic Rob. Good stuff it seems!

Looks great JB.

I'm a bilt confused by the use of the word 'mastic' by BH despite having looked them up. I always think of mastic as something that is forced out of a mastic gun, or trowled into large window frame gaps.

I take it that you have used the following sequence, and the BH epoxy mastic referred to is perhaps the etch primer? :

etch
        (etch) primer
        base colour coat
        clear top coat

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post

Looks great JB.

I'm a bilt confused by the use of the word 'mastic' by BH despite having looked them up. I always think of mastic as something that is forced out of a mastic gun, or trowled into large window frame gaps.

I take it that you have used the following sequence, and the BH epoxy mastic referred to is perhaps the etch primer? :

etch
          (etch) primer
          base colour coat
          clear top coat
          Cheers!

Yeah I agree, not sure it's "mastic". It's really just an epoxy primer. I thought it might dry to an almost plastidip finish, but no, it was pretty hard, and nicely flattable.

Yeah I used it where you listed the etch primer, but I don't think it has any etch properties. I used the Hydrate80 as the etch.

I also had a high build stage after the hydrate 80, just to fill in some of the holes.

Comment

• Cheers JB.

What's your strategy with spraying the bonnet and protecting it from getting chipped over time? WVan's bonnet came with a 'carbon-fibre' wrap, which is now breaking up on one corner, and negative stories about bonnet bras rule them out for me.

I have only just discovered that Raptor Bedliner is available in a variety of different colours, not just black, and I'm wondering what the finish is like when sprayed, as I know that hand-brushing doesn't leave a particularly smooth finish:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...tints&_sacat=0

Has anyone here tried spraying it?

P.S. You could rename this Thread as \the "JB Weld" Thread?
            Last edited by Jim24; 24 March 2022, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
              Cheers JB.

What's your strategy with spraying the bonnet and protecting it from getting chipped over time? WVan's bonnet came with a 'carbon-fibre' wrap, which is now breaking up on one corner, and negative stories about bonnet bras rule them out for me.

I have only just discovered that Raptor Bedliner is available in a variety of different colours, not just black, and I'm wondering what the finish is like when sprayed, as I know that hand-brushing doesn't leave a particularly smooth finish:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...tints&_sacat=0

Has anyone here tried spraying it?

P.S. You could rename this Thread as \the "JB Weld" Thread?
              My strategy for avoiding chips on the bonnet is to try not to drive too close behind lorries full of gravel.

But seriously, yeah I'm not getting any bonnet bra on there. If it chips and needs a respray in 10 years then I'll think about it.

Don't know too much about the raptor stuff, but I've heard it's hard as nails. I do like the finish of it on an off road style synchro van.

And yeah there is enough JB weld in the van to warrant that name! Haha.

Comment

• I have a bug deflector as yet unfitted. It may go on the dokas stopgap bonnet to hind the dings. May be worth a look as it's not the moisture trap that is a bonnet bra.

Comment

• New windscreen is in, I love it!!!

Comment

• "So you can see clearer now?"

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

• Work has started again now the vans back in the garage for the winter, and got plenty of work to do!

Gone for the WM Pop Tops option, cheers for the recommendation Rob. Talked to Wayne a fair bit before ordering, and he seems a top bloke. The pop top looks to be made very well, only thing lacking with the "supply only" option is any kind of fitting guide. But Wayne is happy for me to call him any day of the week and he's very helpful.

Got the roof cut out done, and just about to fit the strengthening steel rails. Will post some more pics as I progress.

Also gone for the Smart Beds Evo R rail bed. So a fair bit of dosh invested in the van, but me and the Mrs figured if we wanted it as a viable family holiday vehicle, we needed the extra space and proper seats/bed. Having it on the rail is incredible, so useful.

On top of all of this, I've also gone and got myself 2 '83 kawasaki GT550's that I'm going to cobble together to get a good bike out of. Plenty of work to do haha.

Comment

• Good to see you pop back up James. How’s the new(ish) nipper, house and missus doing?

Vans looking good and progressing well matey.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        #vanlife

Comment

• Cheers! Good to finally have some spare time to look at the van haha.

Yeah the nipper is now walking and talking, and I can't believe how quickly it is going. Crazy. Hope you and yours are good!

Comment

• Its frightening how time flies are Amys little one is three on Saturday, walks, talks and tells her grandad where to get off.

Comment

• Have made some progress on the pop top over the past few weeks. Had a slight hiccup when doing the roof and a gust of wind blew it sideways, bending the rear hinges. But with some discussion with WM Poptops. Have bent them back straight and replaced the crushed nylon spacers and all working nicely again.

Can't fault the advice from WM Poptops, always on WhatsApp and happy to take a call to chat about the next stage of fitting. If you want to fit one yourself then I'd definitely recommend.

Here are some pics of the progress so far.

Lining up the front spoiler before bonding it on.

The roof hinges and arms bonded and bolted on.

The roof up today after fixing the hinges.

Next I'm looking at fitting the strengthening frames down the inside of the roof cutout, then it'll be fixing the canvas down and dressing it inside.

Still have to dress the spoiler at the front to make it proper. But happy with the fitting so far

Comment

• Thats coming on a treat.never really been into poptops but impressed with how thats taking shape. These vans never end how we think they will do they.Doing yourself at home, cant fault that. Following with renewed interest. Please keep it coming mate.

Comment

Working...
                                X