No announcement yet.

Flash Gordon is alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always used copper with no problem but everyone has their views.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
      Always used copper with no problem but everyone has their views.
      Fair enough, cunifer is better..

If you are happy with red oxide, copper brake lines and cross-ply tyres that's fine...

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
      Is that kunifer the same as the copper/cupra nickel? I've got cupra nickel pipe.

Harder than copper, but easier to flare and longer lasting that steel?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s
      Yep Copper Cu, Nickel NI and Iron Fe = CuNiFe

I spelt it with a K (as it often is spelled), because if I spelled it with a C you'd probably assume I was just being rude.
      Last edited by regcheeseman; 25 June 2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Fair enough, cunifer is better..

If you are happy with red oxide, copper brake lines and cross-ply tyres that's fine...

Yep Copper Cu, Nickel NI and Iron Fe = CuNiFe

I spelt it with a K (as it often is spelled), because if I spelled it with a C you'd probably assume I was just being rude.
        F1 cars still use crossply tyres I believe

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Cross plys? Always remember that advert with the Austin 1300 warning about mixing them with radials. Then a fortnight after passing my test I did a good impression of the advert breaking my arm and my nose in the process.And my mate will forever have a 12 inch duelling scar from where he escaped via the windscreen.Happy daze. 6 pints of Carlsberg and the copper said we wont get you to blow in the bag, you've had a bad enough evening.

Comment

• Its been tonic water when driving ever since.

Comment

• By my absence I'm sure you've all realised I've not got the van ready for its MOT. Haha.

But getting there! I'll put a full post up when I've got it ready.

Comment

• Not got much energy to write too much on this today, but I'll try to catch up with where I am.

Treated myself to a new air inlet foam. Only about 30 quid, and after Rob saying it helps reduce noise I thought it would be worth it.

Fitted the scuttle drains onto my repaired and painted inner wings. Crucially the kit also came with flaps to block up the gaps under the mirrors - to stop leaves and crap falling in. Pretty pleased!

My radiator surround was cracked, and spotted that it was ASA plastic, stamped on the side. So realised I could melt and glue the broken section with Acetone.

Stuck well.

But i didn't like the huge gaps of missing plastic. So took some waste ASA from my 3d printing and melted it in with a soldering iron. Solid as a rock now. Doesn't look great, but oh well, it's covered anyway.

Got the front cross member welded to the headlight surrounds, and painted.

Fitted lovely. Looks so much better.

3d printed a new rubber cap for the front of the light surround. Fits great, printed in 98 shore rubber.

Cleaned up and electroxed under the passenger step and fuel tank.

Painted with 2 coats of electrox and 1 of a protective black. Bit of yellow to temporarily clean up the crappy step sill. Looks much tidier.

Few days to cure and then Dynamatted the step. Nice solid sound when knocked now.

Bought the better laser brake pipe tool, fitted 12ft of new pipe to the rear wheels. Worked great. So much better than the crap "vice held" laser set.

New calliper fitted to the rear. That Halfords caliper paint is shit. Chips off so easily and looks bad. Going to have to redo it. But at least the caliper works fine.

Did a full flush through of my power steering fluid. Was a horrible colour, and red, where my cap is green. So probably why the pump just oozed fluid slowly.

PAS reservoir return into a bucket, keep turning the steering wheel lock to lock and keep topping up with green until you see green come out into the bucket. Turn the wheel lock to lock another 10 to 15 times to get air out the system and finally top up with green. Easy.

New starter motor fitted, can crank it for ages now and it barely gets warm at all.

My other one would get very hot after 10 to 20 seconds of cranking.

Fitted the new LDA top pump I reconditioned.

Spent ages trying to prime it, only to realise that the fuel was just going straight out the return. Made me start to doubt the fuel stop solenoid.

Sure enough, no click when turning the key.

12v on both terminals on the connection.

12v straight from the battery to the solenoid and nothing.

Tested my old pump plugged in, and got the satisfying click. So yeah, solenoid buggered.

So I took drastic measures and spent an hour wrestling the old immob block off the pump.

Annoyingly I burned a sight hole in the fuel line to the pump, so need to get a new one of those.

Carefully took the old immob off my old pump. Refitted and hooray! It all works!!!

You can't tell from this pic but it's running! And running like a dream!

Got the fuel and idle set up, sounds lovely.

Cheers for all the help guys. Major milestone.

Comment

• Well done.

What size printer do you have, can you print ABS?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Well done.

What size printer do you have, can you print ABS?
                    Yeah, I've printed quite a bit in ABS, one of the better materials to print in.

Volume on my printer is 210mm x 250mm x 210mm

Comment

• Leisure battery turned up today, its a beast!

Here it is on my battery tray.

Here's the tray on its own. Pretty good for £40 I think. Nice bit of stainless, very well made.

Cut a bit off the tray, and a bit off the oem battery clip, just to maximise the space.

Here's the clearance with it in place and parts cut, tight.

Also had to take a bit of the rad louvre holder down to fit it in.

Just enough clearance to let the louvres open and shut when they need.

And here's the beast fitted. Fills the space nicely.

Although it has a clamp for holding the battery down on the "lip" at the bottom. But my new battery doesn't have one.

This thing weighs 30kg and I didn't fancy it being "loose" to slide around my engine bay. So decided to make up a clamp to hold it down a bit better.

Drilled out the bottom hole and tapped it to M10.

Made up a clamp bar for the top. Bending the funny angle was interesting.

But solid now with the clamp on as well.

Fitted all the wiring today for the split charge. Run the live into the back for a mini dist board. Should be good to go when my crimper turns up. Cheers for the offer of the lend of yours Reg. But thought I'd get one as I'll use it loads in the future.

Comment

• That’s a shift! What material did you make the bing from?

Comment

• Originally posted by mike_skinner View Post
                          That’s a shift! What material did you make the bing from?
                          The bung? It's a hard rubber - 98 shore.

Comment

• Yes the bung - Fupping autocorrect!!

Comment

• Had a great weekend. My brother came down with his new T4 and we set to just doing a weekend of little jobs on the van. And me imparting my limited knowledge of T4 foibles.

Really fun to get things done that I wouldn't normally do as not "critical".

List of things I got done.

- new oil pressure sensors fitted (VW)

- oil change.

- removed, cleaned, tested and refitted rad louvre wax stat. Louvres open ~75% now. But that's fine as it still didn't go a gnats cock above 90°C.

- bent the dipstick round for better access. Can you see what the issue is?*

- troubleshot the issue with my central locking. It would unlock but not lock. My initial thought was that the lock pulse wiring was dodgy. But turns out the classic windscreen leak had got into my central locking really. Circuit board covered in mould. New one ordered.

- troubleshot the issue with my heating controls. Clip broken in the control panel meaning I can't set the heater valve shut properly. Talking to breakers to try and get a new one.

- sorted out my reverse lights. Turns out my wiring is broken somewhere between the rear cluster and the switch at the front. Not the connectors because I've reterminated both. So I ran a new wire from the cluster to the front, and fitted a rocker switch for the reverse lights.

- wouldn't have fitted the rocker switch if I didn't have a good reason. Also wired in a set of rear parking sensors. Bit of a luxury, they work great!

- test fitted my intercooler. Got an l200 TMIC in the end. I tried finding a good place for the one you sent me Rob, but it just didn't work. I'll sell it on again haha. Fitted the TMIC air scoop on the underside of the bonnet as well. Just need to get the pipework. Will make up a new inlet connection as well.

All in all, a great weekend.

Comment

• Sorry about the lack of participation everyone!

Still waiting on the house to be done, but there is progress with the new floor going down now.

I'm really missing working on the van!

The closest I got recently was doing a basic service on the Mrs' car the other day haha.

Fingers crossed I'll be back doing it again soon!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X